(09-25-2005) U2 back to frisky self this time out - Chicago Tribune*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 back to frisky self this time out

Band digs deep in encore concerts

By Greg Kot
Tribune music critic

In contrast to its four-show run at the United Center last May, when U2 was starting to sound like a highly competent but not particularly adventuresome junior version of the Rolling Stones, the Irish quartet was in friskier mood in two encore concerts last week.

U2 tossed aside the predictable set list and dug deep Tuesday and Wednesday. Here are some key differences between the shows last week and the ones last spring:

Then: The band doesn't make the case for its latest hit-and-miss album, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The new songs are bunched together and dispatched early on, as if Bono and the boys didn't know how to integrate them into their performance.

Now: "Miracle Drug" (with the Edge's beautiful guitar figure getting some breathing room at the top) and "Original of the Species" (a killer soul ballad with falsetto harmonies) are showcased instead of buried. The arrangements are less fussy, the melodies more apparent. These are the kinds of moments that send skeptical fans rushing back to the album to hear these songs with fresh ears.

Then: The theatrics of Bono, who stumbled around stage blindfolded in empathy with Iraqi prisoners and spoke at length about religious tolerance, got to be a distraction.

Now: The blindfold is still around, but Bono tones down the speechifying and play-acting. Instead he focuses on the songs. His voice sounds like a howitzer on the rockers, blowing down the doors on "Elevation," and yet he manages to convey a fragile poignance on ballads such as "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own."

Then: No surprises in the set list.

Now: U2 pulls out the soaring and underplayed "Miss Sarajevo" from its mid-'90s Passengers" side project with Brian Eno. Bono steps in for Luciano Pavarotti, whose cameo vocal carries the recorded version into the stratosphere, and lets it rip. A jaw-dropping moment.

Then: An efficient march through the new album, followed by the hits and two encores.

Now: A hodgepodge of old, new and off-the-cuff gives the evening an anything-can-happen quality, even to fans who have seen several shows on this tour. An acoustic "Wild Horses" is particularly welcome, as is a seemingly impromptu segue into the Broadway standard "Old Man River" in conjunction with Bono's comments about Hurricane Katrina and America's resilience during times of crisis. A flamenco "Fast Cars" turns the first encore into an unruly dance, magnifying the theme struck by the erotic push-pull of "With or Without You."

Then: A relatively simple performance, not too dependent on technology, especially in comparison to past tours such as "Zoo TV" and "Popmart." But the choreography of certain segments is apparent.

Now: The light-bulb curtains remain, but the staging is even more frill-free than before, and there's more room to roam within the set list. The focus is once again squarely on the music.

Conclusion: So long, Dinosaur Act. The art-rocking, risk-taking U2 is back with a timely reminder of why this city embraced the band in the first place, 25 years ago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/reviews/critics/chi-0509250478sep25,1,6639899.story

While I appreciate the praise, I didn't find the "old" U2 - from "way back in May" - to be stagnant in any capacity. Also, I do not find HTDAAB an "uneven" album. If it is, then I would say the same is true for every U2 album, including JT and AB.

Evidently Mr. Kot didn't want another phone call from Bono like the one in May! :laugh:

U2 was Brilliant for Chicago 9/20/05

It's good to know that Greg is still reviewing concerts in Chicago-he does a good job at it.........most the time (j/k). After Greg's review last May and his calls from Bono while he was driving down Lake Shore Drive (LSD) headed for a Coldplay review must of been nerve racking- as noted in an earlier article one does not hang up on Bono and who would want to? It was an awesome night Tuesday-the best show I've ever seen-and we were close up for a change-10th row (no more nose bleed sections!!).Bono's wonderful voice proved itself once again as he sang opera to his rockin U2 fans-what a voice. We enjoyed every moment of the concert-the boys are the best in the world! Only drawback was they waited till Wednesday night to play "Wild Horses" and "Fast Cars"-my two favorite songs!! Will post pics ASAP Thanks Bono and U2

Hate to be cynical, but Mr. Kot's heart doesn't seem particularly into this -- perhaps he was writing this Citizen Kane-style, with an editor over his shoulder making sure he didn't alienate the once and always Greatest Band in the World?

I'm glad he feels U2 has improved a lot throughout the tour, and while I do agree, he's making it out to sound like U2 sucked and had no clue what they were doing back in May and they've just now got the hang of things. Not the case.

Also, when it comes to surprises in the setlist...unless you'd been following the sets as we had, no one would have expected An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart or Zoo Station, for example. On the other hand, if you HAD been following the sets, Miss Sarajevo would have been no surprise this time around since they've been playing it since its tour debut in Europe.

Why is there no mention of Discotheque? Was this just a review of night two?

this guy is an idiot.

the staging was more frill-free than before?? they used the curtain of lights a lot more than on the first leg!!

instead of burying mircale drug and oots they were now showcased?? they were in the exact same spots in the setlist as they were in may!!

the only surpise in the setlist he talks about is Miss Sarajevo. When in reality that wasn't a huge surprise if one paid attention to European setlists. the huge surprise to the setlist was the first time, the first time it had ever been played!! not to mention an accoustic walk on and disctheque for only the second time on the whole vertigo tour.

he sounds like he should be writing for u2.com, and trust me, thats not a compliment.

Chizip said:
this guy is an idiot.

the staging was more frill-free than before?? they used the curtain of lights a lot more than on the first leg!!

instead of burying mircale drug and oots they were now showcased?? they were in the exact same spots in the setlist as they were in may!!

the only surpise in the setlist he talks about is Miss Sarajevo. When in reality that wasn't a huge surprise if one paid attention to European setlists. the huge surprise to the setlist was the first time, the first time it had ever been played!! not to mention an accoustic walk on and disctheque for only the second time on the whole vertigo tour.

he sounds like he should be writing for u2.com, and trust me, thats not a compliment.

:lmao:

You should e-mail him. That's so sad it's funny.

OOTS was played at both the 5/10 and 5/12 Chicago shows

it was a part of the encore for both the 5/20 and the 9/21 show, on 5/12 it was part of the wacky main set

Last edited:
I know this will draw some criticism, but I completely agree with Mr. Kot.

I attended Chicago IV in May (which was mostly praised by this board) and Chicago V on Tuesday.

The differences WERE apparent. Even in the 4th night in Chicago, where the band was no longer filming and seemingly less constrained, the only modicum of surprise was reserved for a nice encore (with terrific extended versions of WOWY and BAD), which ALMOST saved the show. But the main set was, frankly, a mess. Sloppy musicanship, going through the motions, nauseating "politics", bad transitions, stilted effects, absolutely no flow. (Simply contrast Chicago IV from Vertigo relative to Chicago III or IV from Elevation in May 2001 - I challenge anyone to tell me there was more surprise in the former, as opposed to the latter where U2 was mixing it up and pulling songs like Control and 11 O'Clock out for the first time in a decade).

Last Tuesday, however, went a long ways in restoring faith in the band. A blistering Electric Co., solid versions of some of the new songs, Walk On, a TERRIFIC Miss Sarajevo, a rollicking Discotheque, and then the stunner pulling The First Time out of absolutely nowhere and closing a LONG show with another great BAD. Even staples such as Bullet and SBS were FAR more passionate last Tuesday by my count (only WOWY was done without any energy). Overall, a very solid show, better transitions, tighter, more focused, and more expirimental. U2 remembered some of the things that made this band the world's best from 1983-1998.

oh i agree the 9/20 show was far superior to any of the shows in May, but the reasons Mr Kot listed are pretty lame, and some are just not correct.

Back
Top Bottom