(06-28-2004) Rumor: U2 To Perform at Democratic National Convention - Interference*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dj_tranquility said:
from page 14 of the 06/28/04 boston herald:

"U2 frontman Bono will be among the super-celebs making Sen. Ted Kennedy's Beautiful Day at Symphony Hall during the Democratic National Convention. Ted's office declined to confirm the names on the Tribute to Ted roster but an announcement is expected soon."

no way in hell bono could be this stupid as to attend a tribute to ted kennedy... he would instantly lose all cred with the republican party, and there's still a very good chance that that party will still occupy the white house come next january, despite the sentiments of the majority of interference posters. i just don't buy it.

bono was a friend of bill clinton's, and now he works with george bush. i think working with different parties brings him credibility. i don't see him losing anything by attending a party honoring a political icon such as Ted Kennedy.

dj_tranquility said:
bono was a friend of bill clinton's, and now he works with george bush. i think working with different parties brings him credibility. i don't see him losing anything by attending a party honoring a political icon such as Ted Kennedy.

Agreed.

if it were for the sole purpose of helping our country get rid our dictator, King George II, then i'm all for it.

mikal said:
if it were for the sole purpose of helping our country get rid our dictator, King George II, then i'm all for it.

Oh grow up. You have obviously have no idea what it really means to live under a dictator. At least he doesn't send people through a shredder feet first like Saddam Hussein used to do.

Rachel D. said:

Oh grow up. You have obviously have no idea what it really means to live under a dictator. At least he doesn't send people through a shredder feet first like Saddam Hussein used to do.

Nor does he torture Olympians who fail to win gold medals.

Although maybe that is something we should consider. We could really stand to win a few more medals during the Winter Olympics.

dj_tranquility said:

ted kennedy is to republicans what newt gingrich or trent lott is to democrats. he's placed him self so far to the left that he might as well break off and form his own party seperate from the democrats. republicans don't like bill clinton... they hate hillary... but they despise ted kennedy. meeting with ted to discuss data and bono's aids work? no one would have a problem with it. attending a tribute in his honor? that could put some people off.

on a side note, i wonder if anyone from the Kopechne family will be in attendance for teddy's big day.

:madspit:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

ted kennedy is to republicans what newt gingrich or trent lott is to democrats. he's placed him self so far to the left that he might as well break off and form his own party seperate from the democrats. republicans don't like bill clinton... they hate hillary... but they despise ted kennedy. meeting with ted to discuss data and bono's aids work? no one would have a problem with it. attending a tribute in his honor? that could put some people off.

on a side note, i wonder if anyone from the Kopechne family will be in attendance for teddy's big day.

:madspit:

Unfortunately this has turned into a mud slinging contest. For the record, Bono has also appeared at events with/for Jesse Helms, who may be considered the ultimate evil from a Democratic perspective (although Dick Cheney is close). The point is that Bono has tried to appeal to members of both major parties in the US to support his cause. He has used religion as a common ground to also appeal to certain conservative Republicans. But, yes, the cause(s) Bono supports are generally those that would be supported by liberal Democrats such as Ted Kennedy. The fact that he will appear at a benefit for TK is not surprising at all. Indeed, if the event were to take place outisde the realm of the Dem's convention, many distinguished conservatives who admire and respect TK would also likely attend (e.g., Orrin Hatch).

I believe that I provided valid reasons why Bono may attend this tribute.

If you want to get into a political trash talking argument, I don't think this is the forum.

My guess is that this is a rumor. I've seen the list of speakers and activities for the DNC and U2 isn't on it. They don't do partisan politics in Ireland. Why would they do it here?

Rachel D. said:

what do my opinions have to do with me growing up?

i like oranges, some people don't, but i don't tell the people that don't to grow up.

grow up. :)

In case of a re-election of Bush, Bono can forget all the US money for Africa if the band performs at the democratic convention.

However, personally, I really hope Kerry is going to win this elections.

Peter said:
In case of a re-election of Bush, Bono can forget all the US money for Africa if the band performs at the democratic convention.

However, personally, I really hope Kerry is going to win this elections.

so is the rest of the world

Back
Top Bottom