(05-01-2005) Jim DeRogatis talks with U2's Larry Mullen Jr. - Chicago Sun-Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Jim DeRogatis talks with U2's Larry Mullen Jr.

BY JIM DEROGATIS Pop Music Critic

Despite its status as a multi-platinum, arena-filling mega-band, U2 has always maintained a reputation for caring about its fans. But when tickets went on sale in late January for its Vertigo 2005 Tour, something went wrong.

Many of the faithful who paid $40 to join the band's fan club found themselves shut out when tickets went on sale via a system that ignored the special presale privileges and issued random codes instead. As a result, many of the prime tickets wound up with scalpers who have been peddling them for more than 20 times face value.

The group scheduled additional shows to make amends -- U2 performs four nights here beginning Saturday, then will return to Chicago on Sept. 20-21 -- but the band was stung nonetheless by criticism from fans and the press.

Drummer Larry Mullen Jr. seemed especially chagrined, and when the band won a Grammy for best rock performance by a Group with Vocals in February, he edged its always loquacious frontman Bono away from the mike so that he could issue a public and heartfelt apology.

Longtime fans have always considered Mullen the conscience and truest moral compass of the group, as well as one of the most distinctive drummers in rock.

In 1976, inspired by the Sex Pistols and London's punk explosion, a 14-year-old Mullen placed an ad on the bulletin board of Dublin's Mount Temple High School, eliciting responses from bassist Adam Clayton, guitarist Dave Evans (later the Edge), and an outspoken chap named Paul Hewson who, even though he couldn't sing particularly well at the time, brazenly rechristened himself Bono Vox (Latin for "good voice").

The rest, as VH1's "Behind the Music" is fond of saying, is history.

I had a long and wide-ranging conversation Monday with the man many consider the heart of U2 as the band made its way toward Chicago. Here are the highlights.

Q. I was moved by your comments at the Grammys, Larry. What happened with the ticket snafu, and why were you so upset about it?

A. We've always been a band that's depended on its audience to carry it through, and we've put them through a lot. We've experimented on our audience, and they've been incredibly loyal to us, so we're kind of sensitive to our audience -- to what they feel and what they think. We came out of being fans: We were fans of music, and we went to gigs.

The reason we charge $165 [for some seats] is so that we can also sell a ticket for $49.50 [for general admission on the floor] -- that's the point. We're selling the best seats in the house to those who can probably afford them, and those who sit in those seats subsidize the others. I think that's fair and that's the way it should be.

We're very conscious of pricing and the ticketing and how it happens, but this time around, the tour was on and the tour was off because of a family illness that I can't go into the details of. The tour wasn't going to happen for a long period of time, so the only way it could go forward was if we changed it, and it got changed at the last minute because the decision to do it came at the last minute. All the plans we'd made for this leg of the tour were completely canceled and thrown out, and it was turned around in a couple of days.

The rules that applied to the original tour didn't get changed in time, so it meant that when the tickets went on sale, you had complete pandemonium. We ended up with this crisis situation, and people felt that they had been had, because we hadn't explained to them, because we couldn't, why the tour had been changed.

To read the full interview, please visit the Chicago Sun-Times website.

First off, I am shocked--SHOCKED!--that anyone in U2 would talk to Jim DeRogatis, who is a notorious U2 critic. But if anyone was going to speak to this clown, Larry was the best possible choice.

The quote that really floored me from the complete interview on the Sun-Times website is this:
"We want to do better, we want to compete on the highest level, and that means competing on radio, and competing with people like Britney Spears and all those pop artists who are at the top of their game. The songs that are written for them are pretty spectacular, and we want to compete with that."

Pop artists AT THE TOP OF THEIR GAME? The songs that are written for them are PRETTY SPECTACULAR?

Spectacular? I'd call a lot of the junk on Top 40 radio these days craptacular!

I want U2 to be ridiculously successful. I want every album to be #1 for weeks, every single to be #1 for weeks, because I enjoy their music so much that I can't understand how anyone could NOT enjoy their music. But to refer to the dreck that makes up Top 40 these days "spectacular"?

Let's discuss!

Cool interview...I understand what he's saying about wanting it all and everything, they always have. I just hope they don't get so caught up in being relevant to 17 year-olds that they forget to stay relevant to themselves and their music. It's a fine line and I don't want them to get too worried about that.

He pretty much answered the question about the tickets, but I do feel that the $49 tickets aren't an excuse for the $165 ones. Only a small fraction of the tickets are GA and most people can't score them, and surely the oh-so low price of 50 bucks doesn't require that the rest are 100-150 bucks just to keep the tour afloat. I still think they could be a lot lower...sorry to turn this into a bitch about that again tho.

VertigoGal said:
Cool interview...I understand what he's saying about wanting it all and everything, they always have. I just hope they don't get so caught up in being relevant to 17 year-olds that they forget to stay relevant to themselves and their music. It's a fine line and I don't want them to get too worried about that.

He pretty much answered the question about the tickets, but I do feel that the $49 tickets aren't an excuse for the $165 ones. Only a small fraction of the tickets are GA and most people can't score them, and surely the oh-so low price of 50 bucks doesn't require that the rest are 100-150 bucks just to keep the tour afloat. I still think they could be a lot lower...sorry to turn this into a bitch about that again tho.
If they made all the tickets cost the same, they'd be just above $100 a pop. I do not know how much it costs to go on tour, but I think it's safe to assume the band wouldn't make them cost a lot for the sake of making them cost a lot.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Yeah songs like "Toxic" are simply spectacular. :huh:

This is a really good interview. Larry answers really good questions and is going head to head with the interviewer. :up:

what he means by spectacular, i think, is the immaculate construction of these songs. you can admire them the way you can admire a well-made cabinet. sure, they're emotionless pieces of pap, but they glitter like gold, they're very visceral, and i'm sorry, if you can't find some fun in "i want it that way" or "bye bye bye" or even "toxic" then you must kiss with your mouth closed ;)

I think it was good that they had someone do an interview that is willing to ask tough questions. I thought Larry gave a great explanation as to why the ticket snafu happened.

But having Larry equate Britney Spears to the Sex Pistols makes me want to cry. Or smash things. And I don't kiss with my mouth closed, either. :wink:

Last edited:
a lot of people who frequent this site just got a shout out from LMJ in this article:

"But I think what really upset me more than
anything else was the assertion by various fan Web sites who got on
some kind of bandwagon where there were accusations of impropriety by
the band -- that this was some kind of money-grabbing move and we
didn't care about our fans. That's what really upset me more than
anything else.

I'm a private kind of person. I love being in the band, and it's my
life. I work hard at it, but there are things that I'm not very good
at. One of them is meeting the fans and being a man of the people --
I'm not very good at it, and I don't feel particularly comfortable in
that position. Bono, on the other hand, thrives on it. Because he does
it, it means I'm not under the same kind of pressure. People have
taken that as me being surly or disrespectful, but that's not the
truth."

You won't find Toxic in my collection, but go ahead and check around, it was widely considered one of the best singles of 2004 by some real hardass "indie" critics (I'm not talking Rolling Stone here). If you don't believe me, check stylusmagazine or Pitchfork (#3 there).

"There is no such thing as anything in the music business at its purest form. It's all cursed by commerce, and you can't get away from it."

Seems like Larry really cares about the fans.,,,
but aren't the fans what's it really all about......so many performers say they thrive off the fans during the concerts.......it's the driving force behind the music.

Thanks Larry for thinking about us......even the ones who still could not obtain concert tickets.....I know his heart is there and so is ours. :heart: to :heart:

Wow, fucking great article. Larry rocks!!! I'm glad he's s doing more interviews and speaking more about the band and himself! He really is a great guy and I'm glad he talked about how the people see him and how he really isn't like that. In my opinion this is Larrys best tour ever and the reason is because he is more natural and trying many new things a lot more and making the songs a lot more interesting.

And, Larry I'm no longer 17, I'm 20, but I think you and the band are fucking COOL!! :cool: :bow:

Last edited:
Fantastic, fantastic article. Larry, you RULE! Caragriff - I totally agree. That part made me cringe... it sucked that so many people jumped to the conclusion that U2 were screwing the fans over on purpose, with this elaborate "scheme" to make as much money as possible. *sigh*

On a happier note... It's awesome that Larry seems to be listening to the bootleg CDs. Did someone do a B&P with him? :wink:

Good article.

caragriff said:

"I'm not very good at it, and I don't feel particularly comfortable in
that position. Bono, on the other hand, thrives on it. Because he doesit, it means I'm not under the same kind of pressure. People have taken that as me being surly or disrespectful, but that's not the truth."

I've always known about that and I never thought he was being disrespectful. Of course, there are always people who, instead of trying to understand why, will rather say whatever will make themselves feel better.
I think Bono takes too much for himself, but that also is why he’s so popular.
Besides having different personalities, they both are great human beings for whom I have great consideration.

Last edited:
caragriff said:
a lot of people who frequent this site just got a shout out from LMJ in this article:

"But I think what really upset me more than
anything else was the assertion by various fan Web sites who got on
some kind of bandwagon where there were accusations of impropriety by
the band -- that this was some kind of money-grabbing move and we
didn't care about our fans. That's what really upset me more than
anything else.

truth."

Cheers,

L

caragriff said:

truth."

Larry kicks ass. :up:

And he's only surly when people try and take sticks from his hands that are meant for other people. ;)

(Just had to say it again. :sexywink: )

I completely agree....Larry did a superb job with this interview. I think he was very honest and forthcoming. And he is absolutely correct. Contracts are a part of the business.....Same goes for an Author and no one ever accuses them of being "Sell Outs." A novelist must sign a contract which, gives exclusive publishing rights to the publisher. And if they don't, their novel will never reach the shelves.

Just some food for thought......

Wow - that is possibly the best U2 interviews i've ever read.

I grew up a huge Sex Pistols fan but Larry is right - there's little difference between them (and how they were constructed to make money!!!) and Britany Spears. Musically there is a difference but that's it. Notice he didn't say the same thing about REAL punk rock groups like The Clash, The Ramones, The Damned, The Undertones etc. etc. Making the example of the Sex Pistols is the only one I would agree with because they were created to make money (i.e. Malcolm McClaren).

Because of LMJ I got me tixs for MSG in October and I am forever grateful!

Harry Vest said:
I grew up loving the Sex Pistols but you have to admit that despite the "punk" label they were thrown together fot the cash - just like B

Not to mention that the Sex Pistols went on tour a few years ago, without new material, and pubicly said they did it for the money.

Too bad anyone from U2 agreed on this interview and gave credibility to someone like Jim deRogatis.

Back
Top Bottom