(04-16-2006) Number One in Britain's Favourite Lyrics -- Scotsman.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Number One in Britain's Favourite Lyrics

FERGUS SHEPPARD

THE U2 song One contains the nation's favourite song lyric of all time - "One life, with each other, sisters, brothers" - according to a new poll out today.

The 1992 song, recently re-released in collaboration with the R&B singer Mary J Blige, beat lyrics from legends such as the Beatles and David Bowie, as well as newcomers including the Arctic Monkeys to take top spot.

The Irish supergroup also appeared at No 11 with Where The Streets Have No Name, and its opening words, "I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tear down the walls, that hold me inside".

The Smiths' lyric "So you go, and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own" from the track How Soon is Now? took second place in the poll of more than 13,000 music fans.

Another song much loved by angst-ridden teens, Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit, was in third place.

The pop impresario Louis Walsh, the manager of Girls Aloud and a judge on TV's The X Factor, said: "One is a timeless, classic song. I think the lyrics are just fantastic, one life - because everybody only has one life."

One is often played at weddings, but U2's guitarist Edge has in the past said "it's not that kind of song".

The three videos that U2 made for the single - depicting the band in drag, Bono singing at a restaurant table, and buffalos running across a plain - shed no light on the meaning of the song, either.

The U2 track came top of the new lyrics chart ahead of other big names such as Marvin Gaye, Bob Dylan and Pink Floyd.

Industry professionals and musicians, ranging from Noel Gallagher to Jon Bon Jovi, chose their personal favourites, and the eclectic chart includes acts from the Sixties to the present day, with 21st-century favourites such as Coldplay and Kaiser Chiefs.

The Top 100 in the Nation's Favourite Lyric is on the TV channel VH1 today.

--Scotsman.com

It was December of 2002 and I was running late for a performance in the West End.
Nearing the tube in Russell Square, a musician was strumming the chords to 'One'
and hit the chorus singing when everyone in earshot - I mean everyone - joined in unison...

One love, one blood, one life

It was one of the more surreal moments in life.

wannabe said:
It was December of 2002 and I was running late for a performance in the West End.
Nearing the tube in Russell Square, a musician was strumming the chords to 'One'
and hit the chorus singing when everyone in earshot - I mean everyone - joined in unison...

One love, one blood, one life

It was one of the more surreal moments in life.

I bet :wink:
Even after all this time, I still get chills when I just randomly hear it on the radio. :love:

Lally1011 said:
at weddings?

WTF?!?!

Yep - sad (horrifying even) but true.

It must be the same kind of people that lately have been choosing James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" for weddings, of course without changing the lyrics. Just imagine it, bride and groom listening to a song that proclaims ""But it's time to face the truth, I will never be with you."

Well, there's another flavour of the week poll result.
I guess James Blunt doesn't have a single out currently :wink:

I always felt this was Bono's best lyrical song. How this song failed to sweep the Grammy's in the "Record of the Year" and "Song of the Year" categories is beyond my comprehension. In fact, I think the Grammy voters now acknowledge this, which may be one reason why U2 are winning so many awards now.

So many yays all at once;

:applaud: for U2 being the winners
:applaud: for the votes being decent for once as any Brit will remember the Millenium top ten will know!
:applaud: for voting lyrics that express unity and courage

Just big Yays and :up: :up: all round!

Always remember the first time One actually registered in my brain. I was in the hairdressers and Vernon Kay was on Radio 1. He was doing one of those things where the listeners choose the best song out of three titles given. He sed "There was only ever going to be one winner" and one comes on the radio. Every single person in the hairdressors were tapping there feet by the end of the song. It was funny seeing all these middle aged men tapping along to this song in unison :wink:

WOW!!!!

That song deserved to win!!!:wink:

I can't recal when it was one of the first time I've heard-and I'm only 15-but I do know that WHENEVER that songs come on the radio, in my ears on my ipod or in some real random spot...it just crack me up!!!

I break into a HUGE SMILE!!!! There's none other song who can have this impact on me! I believe it's probably the BEST lyrics of B so far and we all know he writtes SO well!!!:wink:

APPLAUSE TO U2

Cathxxx

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom