(04-15-2004) U2's Bono Rocks Parliament - OfficialWire*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2's Bono Rocks Parliament

Opposition MP Calls Upon Rocker To Live Up To Ass Kicking Promise

by Matthew Mernagh

ST. CATHARINES, CANADA -- (OfficialWire) -- 04/14/04 -- Ireland's unofficial ambassador, U2's Bono became embroiled in Canuck politics in November when he spoke at the ruling Liberal leadership convention. Many political pundits were stunned by Bono's political wits, with some tired hacks remarking that PM in waiting Paul Martin might be upstaged. Bono's influence on Canadian politics went further when his remarks were debated in the House of Commons.

New Democrat Party, Member of Parliament, Libby Davis brought up the extravagant rock artist in relation to Canada's seeming lack of commitment to the Global Fund. "As Bono also pointed out, Canada's commitment to the global fund is one-third below what our obligation is. Yet the global fund was completely missed out of the throne speech. It was not mentioned in the budget. Again, why was the global fund ignored? Are these commitments simply Liberal window dressing that mean nothing for the people that they are intended to help? Where is the Liberal commitment? Why does it not come through?" The Speech from the Throne, outlining legislative agenda and the budget are bell weathers of where the party intends to take the country.

In Bono's convention speech he asked Canada to invest three times our current amount. "I told him [PM Martin] earlier today that if Canada puts in its fair share of three times the current amount by the way, they'll embarrass the rest of the world into doing the same."

The rocker applauded Canada's commitment to providing cheaper generic drugs for poor African nations facing the AIDS/HIV pandemic. However the bill remains in committee and is so seriously flawed that it is almost laughable?pharmaceutical companies have the choice to opt out of providing the generic drugs to Africa.

MP Davis again ripped the Liberals by using Bono's remarks in the House of Commons on the failure of this bill. Proving how entertaining Canadian politics is, she said, "I might add that we are sending his [PM Martin's] answer to Bono, so I hope he thinks about his reply. The bill that is supposed to provide affordable drugs to Africa is fatally flawed. It contains the first right of refusal for big drug companies, something that the NGOs and the experts know fatally flaws and undermines the bill." Though the PM was present he did not rise to MP Davis's challenge.

Bono told Canadians that "we need more Canadas" and he promised that should our PM fail he would "be the biggest pain in[PM Martin's] ass a year down the line [PM Martin] is going to regret tonight."

The New Democrat Party has written to Bono requesting that he put his ass kicking promises to good measure. At a music industry function I attended a few nights later, the topic of Bono's speech came up. The consensus around the table was that the fix was in, with one hot well connected industry babe making the sucky-sucky motion as to the whole relevance of Bono?s appearance. Is Bono a true promise anything politician or will he live up to his fighting words?

http://www.officialspin.com/main.php?action=recent&rid=1408

*Used With Permission*

I don't doubt Bono's sincerity on this.. what is lacking is the support from the Canadian citizens and this is what continues to frustrate me .. we seem to have focused on the the Policy Makers and not dramatizing this in Canada in a way that will create more grassroots movements and engage ordinary citizens. We need to sit in rooms with politician but we also need the public to have their voice heard .. they are the ones who hold the votes and pay the taxes.. we need the soccer moms and the church activist , the students etc.. to all get together..Human Rights shouldnt be a privledge of the rich and neglect of the poor but that's what is happening . I am very well aware that by a simple twist of fate it could be me on the other side. It's not fun to to listen to the back and forth banter between politicians when politics continues to be played and it is costing people's lives. Canada could and should be doing so much more.

Last edited:
Bono is not Canadian and, ultimately, it is the pressure that the Canadian People put on their government which will make the difference in whether the Canadian government lives up to the promises it made to the Global AIDS movement and to the People affected by the Global AIDS pandemic around the world - and not Bono!:yes:

I think this author is very frustrated with his own unsuccessful efforts and groups like the NDP in prompting the Canadian government to make forward progress on the C 9 bill and is taking out his frustrations on Bono.

That tactic is counterproductive to the united front and positivity which the Global AIDS movement must have if we are going to change the course of history on the AIDS pandemic.

Bono, DON'T BECOME DISCOURAGED - you have done SO MUCH to change the course of history for the Good(Bono) (Global AIDS, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Sellafield, Mothers of the Disappeared, Sarajevo, etc.) You have nothing to be ashamed - if it wasn't for you the world would be in a much worse state!:hug: ;) :up:

Please take care of yourself, Bono - you are still THE BEST!:bono: :heart: :heart: :angel:

Well said Jamila

Thank You Bono fo doing everything you do, you are fabulous..
You said the world needs more Canada, the truth is the world needs more people like you!!!

Take Good Care of Yourself Bono !

Last edited:
Why do you all think Bono has put off the album until the end of the year? He needed to write some new, rather "pointed" material. And I hope the album is out in America in time for the elections. :)

I knew the Liberals were too dirty to follow through on it. The whole reason former PM Chretien left early was to not be in office when this huge "sponsorship" scandal hit in Janurary. Unfortunately Bono became part of the disappearing act, no one talks of Chretien ducking out early in November they just remember Bono spoke at the big going away party.

Now the new problem is the other political parties are trying to use Bono as leverage with an election coming up, and they are so out to lunch its comical.

I'm embarrased by our government as a whole, but I'm terrified of the USAs current government. American politics affect us probably more then the malletheads we have in government.

you guys great responses here's my last one on this.. I am dissapointed with our government indeed.. And as for Jack Layton I'm not sure what kind of show he's trying to pull off .. but this using Bono wow!! This is how we repay Bono by this crap.. I wonder if Bono is just shaking his head going "you guys just dont get it" Did Jack miss the message Bono sent .. ya he said he would be a pain in the ass but I think he missed the point.. What are the rest of us doing .

I wonder if he wants Bono to lead us all by the hand and show us how to be good global citizens as well

Bono does what he says he is gonna do.. he's not fake or plastic and he does not play games.. He does what he has to do and puts the power in the hands of people to make a difference becasue he believes with all his heart we will.. I believe that too.

If he opened the door we should walk throug

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom