(03-04-2005) Snow Patrol's over the moon to support U2 - Belfast Telegraph*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Snow Patrol's over the moon to support U2

Croke Park gig will be a highlight

By Maureen Coleman

Snow Patrol's Johnny Quinn today said being asked to support U2 this summer was "better than winning a Brit award".

The Northern Irish band, who are currently working on their fourth album, will support U2 on five dates, including June 24 at Croke Park in Dublin.

The band, who hail from Belfast and Bangor, will also play shows in Manchester, Brussels, Berlin and Paris.

And according to drummer Johnny Quinn, the invite to accompany the Irish supergroup on the road was "a dream come true".

"I've been a huge fan of U2 since I was about 14 and grew up with their posters on my bedroom wall, so being asked to do this was such an honour," he said.

"Bono got into our last album Final Straw and gave copies of it to U2's people.

"I wasn't there at the time, but the rest of the lads were invited down to meet the band and were asked to play support."

Snow Patrol may have missed out on last month's Brit Awards, despite two nominations, but Johnny said the band didn't mind.

"Being asked to support U2 is like winning a Brit Award, it's even better. That's really award enough for me," he said.

"To play in front of so many people at Croke Park will be amazing and we're really looking forward to it."

The group, however, did pick up two awards at last week's Irish Music Meteor Awards in Dublin, Best Irish Band and Best Irish Album.

Johnny said: "Obviously we were delighted to win, but for us, it's not really a benchmark.

"That's why we weren't disappointed not to win at the Brits. We don't take awards too seriously and don't really value them maybe as much as we should.

"It's weird, it's not like winning the Olympics, where you can really give it your best. With awards, you can't really judge it. At the end of the day it's a corporate thing, it's about people making money out of it.

"But we enjoyed the Brits anyway. We just never imagined we would be there."

Snow Patrol head off to America next month, where they hope to capitalise on their growing popularity.

"The Final Straw's doing really well there at the moment and our venues have gone up in size, which is brilliant," he said.

© 2005 Independent News and Media (NI) a division of Independent News & media (UK) Ltd

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/music/story.jsp?story=616791

Back
Top Bottom