Is this the end for a while?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the next few years are going to be very quiet. Everyone is hoping for a Zoo.com Tour, but at this point, I really hope they don’t do another big nostalgia tour. (I’m open to changing my mind in three years, though.)

I have a strong feeling tonight will be U2’s last concert EVER.

- The theme of this tour (in combination with the I&E tour) would make it a perfect ending (thematically)
- Playing in Berlin with a lot of AB songs in the setlist makes a new ZOO tour in 2021/2022 not necessary.
- Not playing any big songs of TJT at their last concert is reasonable because they toured this album in 2017.
- A possible next tour would take at least 4-5 years. The guys would be 60+ years old. I still think they don’t want to become an act like The Rolling Stones.

They will announce the end of the band in a way R.E.M. did some years ago.

I will put $100 on this not being their last show.

Disclaimer: payment will be in Monopoly money or Zimbabwean dollars, whichever is worth less.

I wonder sometimes about these apocryphal casual fans. Who are they? How casual do you have to be to not know Achtung Baby?
U2 fans apparently tend to think that only u2 fans know U2.

Acrobat was so obscure that people would be flooding to the bathrooms when they played it.

The second half of Joshua Tree would go over like a led balloon if they played the whole album.

Yadda yadda yadda

The funny part to me is the idea of being a casual fan of an ilk that really only knows, I dunno, Beautiful Day and Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For... and yet going to the considerable expense, effort and hassle of attending a fucking concert. In 2018, where even the cachet of 'being seen there' doesn't amount to a hill of beans anymore.

It'd be like me going to an Elbow show because I heard Leaders of the Free World once.

I'll smash your face in punk

On Venus?

U2 fans apparently tend to think that only u2 fans know U2.

Acrobat was so obscure that people would be flooding to the bathrooms when they played it.

The second half of Joshua Tree would go over like a led balloon if they played the whole album.

Yadda yadda yadda

U2 fans: U2 have no relevance if they don't start the show with multiple songs from the new album (even though nobody bought it).
Also U2 fans: nobody in the audience knows anything from two of the best selling albums of all time except for a couple of singles.

It'd be like me going to an Elbow show because I heard Leaders of the Free World once.

More like you going to literally any band because they're the first act to play Toowoomba in approximately three decades.

I just hope that by the time the next tour comes around in 2029 there's a different GA system in place.
I saw several known rail lovers wait hours to meet the band and yet they ended up on that rail still despite missing "hard" check-ins. They would then leave before the encore to get a number for the next show.
Others checked in at 7am and buggered off until lunch time.
End rant lol

I mean... It sold 18 million copies.

And JT sold 25. Worldwide in both cases that is.

I think in the U.S. it's what -- 10 million for JT and 8 million for AB?

The point is that JT is more popular here in the U.S. How that would translate into the which-anniversary-tour-would-do-better debate is the question.

I would expect a better turnout for the JT on the whole.

Now to your point previously, with a long enough wait between this recent tour and the next, a AB30 tour would probably do as well -- maybe better if people thought this was their last go around -- than the JT30 tour. And also if the stage was souped up ala 360 only in a ZOO TV package, etc.

I still like the notion of them going for a #1 selling album for a 5th decade in a row. The only way they could do that is to tie in album sales with ticket sales (presumably), so that would mean a new album. The tour would have to feature that album. Hence the next tour would not be a AB30 tour.

Too many variables right now to say of course. Health being the main issue which ties directly to motivation. Just as important, whether or not they have enough creativity left in the tank to crank out another album of new material after all these years. If not, then it's probably AB30 or bust if they can manage it.

And JT sold 25. Worldwide in both cases that is.

I think in the U.S. it's what -- 10 million for JT and 8 million for AB?

The point is that JT is more popular here in the U.S. How that would translate into the which-anniversary-tour-would-do-better debate is the question.

I would expect a better turnout for the JT on the whole.

Now to your point previously, with a long enough wait between this recent tour and the next, a AB30 tour would probably do as well -- maybe better if people thought this was their last go around -- than the JT30 tour. And also if the stage was souped up ala 360 only in a ZOO TV package, etc.

I still like the notion of them going for a #1 selling album for a 5th decade in a row. The only way they could do that is to tie in album sales with ticket sales (presumably), so that would mean a new album. The tour would have to feature that album. Hence the next tour would not be a AB30 tour.

Too many variables right now to say of course. Health being the main issue which ties directly to motivation. Just as important, whether or not they have enough creativity left in the tank to crank out another album of new material after all these years. If not, then it's probably AB30 or bust if they can manage it.
But you're not talking 25 million sold vs 8 million. It's 25 to 18 (10 to 8 in the US).

We're still talking about one of the biggest albums of all time, with a legendary associated tour - not some obscure gem.

Was ZooTV Live in Sydney actually filmed there, or was it faked like the moon landing?

At this point I expect them to do a Lovetown 30 tour in the US only. :facepalm:

To avoid excessive wear and tear, they should probably restrict themselves to a live 'from the basement' type affair, simulcast to people all over the world except Australia.

For what it's worth, a post from U2start at final Dublin show :

i filmed joe o h saying to an australian fan: see you next year ... so seems the joshua tree rumours might really be true .

Seems likely after I just spent $1000’s getting my arse on a plane to Dublin.

But I’m sure Joe and this fan just holiday together.

:applaud::giggle::applaud:

A depressing subject for us Aussies. But you guys at least bring a smile to my face.

Last edited:

- The theme of this tour (in combination with the I&E tour) would make it a perfect ending (thematically)
- Playing in Berlin with a lot of AB songs in the setlist makes a new ZOO tour in 2021/2022 not necessary.
- Not playing any big songs of TJT at their last concert is reasonable because they toured this album in 2017.
- A possible next tour would take at least 4-5 years. The guys would be 60+ years old. I still think they don’t want to become an act like The Rolling Stones.

Hearing them in Milano #3 I had the exact same feeling, and for the same reasons that you mention.
If it happens to be true I would be fine with it (at least right now). That was one of the best, if not the best of the 8 concerts I had the chance to attend since my first in 2001, and I would stay on a high memory.

The amount of touring they've been doing has definitely taken a toll on their popularity and also B man's health. I don't see them playing stadiums ever again after JT30, and a Z0030 is probably a bit too much.

At this point, they just need time for themselves.

They can reach far more people, in far fewer shows, if they play stadiums. If they are to tour again in a few years, I'd expect stadiums in Europe, and South America, rest of the world, if they decide to tour these areas. The US, who knows, I'd expect demand there will have recovered somewhat.

But first, hopefully we have an Oceania leg in 2019. Arenas, with some JT songs thrown in. I want Exit! The Shadow Man prancing down the e+i catwalk, arm outstretched, imploring "Hold out your Hand!". I think it would look sick, with a larger Shadowman overhead, moving down the giant screen.

Last edited:
But you're not talking 25 million sold vs 8 million. It's 25 to 18 (10 to 8 in the US).

We're still talking about one of the biggest albums of all time, with a legendary associated tour - not some obscure gem.

Right. Got it. AB sold a lot of albums and the tour in the 90's is legendary.

Doesn't mean it will outperform the JT30 tour.

It might. For any number of reasons. But it might not. For any number of reasons.

We can have fun speculating in the meantime.

Most of us will be using walkers and we can bash those whipper-snappers with them upside the head and no one will care cuz you know we're olds...

The only way that was the last U2 show is if somebody’s health doesn’t allow them to perform anymore. I’d bet $100 Zimbabwean dollars like Axver did.

They’re just being a little dramatic right now.

I don't believe they're going into this break with any idea that this is, absolutely, the end.

I do believe that they see entering this break at the biggest crossroads since they nearly broke up over Achtung Baby - and they will need to make a conscious decision on how they want to proceed going forward.

They clearly need to face the reality that they will never again be globe conquering heros with top 10 singles and a relevant status with "the youngs." How this will play out is anybody's guess.

They can either decide to make music for themselves without worrying if it's going to make a chart dent, they can just be the U2 jukebox living off their past, or they can just fade away.

When you combine those discussions with obvious health issues, than you never know which way things could turn.

But I think we'll be back in 2021. I hope so, at least.

Back
Top Bottom