Amsterdam #4 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O M F G I'm still smiling man. Night and day with the concerts I went to on tuesday/wednesday that left me with a 'mehhhh' feeling.
They were so much more into it and man my dream to hear Shine like stars / Bad ánd 40 on one night came true WOW.

Magnificent was fucking brilliant btw, this version made the whole stadium come alive (brilliant edge solo once again) and this whole vibe didn't stop until the very end of the show. Magnificent was definately one of the highlights of the show, loooooved it.

Insta goosebumps when I heard shine like stars, wowy isn't the same song without it! And then Bad....my #1 song what a special moment, then I see clayton and edge switch guitars and was like O___O. Brilliant ending that really made the show a 9/10 (10/10 if they would do something about that block of new songs including SBS, kills the mood still) instead of a 7/10 as usual for me. Like I said I'm still smiling atm.

HOLY SHIT! This night was amazing. Got a rail spot. Magnificent totally blew our heads off. What the effing ef? Only ten pages of setlist party for an awesome night as this one:tsk: Interfernce. Shame on you!

We knew 40 was comming, but FIRST playing bad... And then teasing us with a bloody nippet, thinking we will never get the full song. And then BAM. Instrument switch. Screaming, and the perfect ending. To an amazing AMAZING night.

I'm Chuffed. The crowd abolutely deserved it. They where smashing the last 3.

:up:

I could not believe how packed it was down there. It looked like you could hardly move - completely different than the N.A. Legs (where people would move from stage to stage).
I was shocked when I saw a vid from Boston today on youtube, the floor looked so empty!

What a cool setlist! Can't wait to watch the videos and listen to the bootlegs!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I agree with everyone here in saying that Magnificent sounded great. Bad/40 sounds like an awesome way to close. Agree with Ax that WOWY is in a weird spot now. Maybe sticking a song between it and Pride would help make the transition less jarring.

I begrudgingly admit that that performance of Magnificent is actually quite good. Still a million songs I'd rather hear and Bono does his best to bring it down, but better than I thought it'd be.

At the risk of pulling a thavidesco and disagreeing with common opinion, I really disliked Magnificent. Happy with a slightly faster tempo, but the changes to the chorus, song structure, Edge's guitar and Larry's patterns detracted from the song.

If you're going to play an uptempo e-stage track from a maligned album, it should be Discotheque.

At the risk of pulling a thavidesco and disagreeing with common opinion, I really disliked Magnificent. Happy with a slightly faster tempo, but the changes to the chorus, song structure, Edge's guitar and Larry's patterns detracted from the song.

If you're going to play an uptempo e-stage track from a maligned album, it should be Discotheque.

No, no, no you're not even close. You have to disagree with common opinion(which doesn't even seem like you are) but then you have to define the song as something like Magnificent is just a hardcore rap song played with electric guitars.

So don't fret, you can have a dissenting opinion without trolling.

I liked that rendition of magnificent; it was weird in structure and all that but I liked that one. And Edge's solo slays all the time.

Whilst I comprehensively agree about Discotheque being played, I think your first comment is insane. "Detracted from the song?" It's a shit song :lol:

I like the new Magnificent. The intro is a bit of a mess, but the increased tempo and Edge's contributions to the chorus are great.

The new arrangement of Zooropa is awesome.

Sent from my XT1034 using U2 Interference mobile app

I just realised Ordinary Love was not done at all in Amsterdam.

It was not missed.

Love the new Magnificent arrangement. Looks like it fits the e-stage really well.

(But I still love Magnificent in pretty much any form, so I'm biased here.)

You look at the 2 songs that have shown up in some form from NLOTH, MOS and Magnificent and those are the ones that they seemed to speak the most highly of throughout.

In my opinion, they're really the only 2 that have stood the test of time.

Anyways, what an excellent set list!

Say what you want about SOI, but at least the band seem to really like it and the passion shows in the performances.

I'd rather have them play songs they actually believe in.

7 songs from the SOI era representing the post 2000 U2 has, in their eyes, taken care of the people who got into them later years.

This has done, I think, 3 very good things:

1) Prevented ATYCLB/weaker new song overload- No IALW, No falling back on GOYB, no Walk On even though it was done at every 360 show. No Elevation every night.

2)Freed up room for the 1980-1983 period, which has been extremely under represented on every tour from Zoo Tv to 360 with the exception of Vertigo Leg 1.

3) Allowed them to play AB heavily in place of NLOTH for the 20 year anniversary on 360 in 2011. Without this, I don't think we'd get a break from One ANY NIGHT on this tour. Granted, it could use a lot more of a rest the way they're doing it now, but still.

I am always all about AB, like everyone here, but if we're not going to get Acrobat, Wild Horses, Zoo Station or LIB, I am fine with just MW, EBTTRT and UTTEOTW as nightly locks.

I know they could rotate a lot more, but does anyone think the list of songs played just on the E Stage would be possible if they had to lean on ATYCLB and AB the whole set?

This set, while always capable of improving, is excellent!

Like everyone else, I think they'd be silly not to try A Sort of Homecoming or Please or rotate Discotheque in with Real Thing.

Like everyone else, I think they should get more out there on the E Stage.

Like everyone else, I think they could get Bad and 40 in there more and do Running To Standstill as well.

But overall, it's really an impressive show. Performance and set list wise.

What a set list. Wish they'd end it like this even in the cities they only play two nights rather than the standard ISHFWILF and One. Bit worried they usually tend to break out Bad and 40 when they have more than two nights to play with.

I think The Troubles is probably dead for the foreseeable future. It has no spot in the setlist now. I guess, if they wanted to be even more adventurous, they could try it or RTSS between Bullet and Zooropa, but I doubt they would. It would be way out of place if it followed Mother/Child. The only other place I could imagine would be between EBW and October.

If the E stage tonight isn't Womanfish / Trip Through Your Wires / Knockin' on Heaven's Door, then I am fucking done with this band.

Trip Through Your Wires would be a very good E Stage song!!

At least as good if not better than the other prime candidate, Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World.

And it would take care of the long underplayed 2nd side of JT!

My other top wish was Two Hearts, so I'm 1/2 and have my fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom