September 16, 2009 - Rogers Centre Toronto - Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got home from Toronto (by way of Buffalo, NY). Went to
both nights with my friend Sara. For this show, we were
272 & 273 in line, and we went in the inner pit GA, just
to the left of center towards the back rail.

The band was amazing, but, at times, it seemed like the
crowd (in the inner GA) was unimpressed or had no energy
whatsoever. However, one highlight for me was when this
seemingly lackluster audience sang the entire 1st verse
and chorus of "I Still Haven't Found. . ." The looks on the
guys faces when that happened sent me over the moon. :love:

Overall, we had a good time, although I think we enjoyed
night 2 better.

Here's my honest review. Arrived at 7:15 with my wife, 18 year daughter and 21 year old son. I had promised the kids a U2 concert since the Vertigo tour. Walked in to the dome and WOW!!! The set is impressive when seeing it in person. We were in section 537, not as high up as I was worried about but really an excellent view. Mostly parallel with the outer circle and a great view of the CN Tower. Snow Patrol was playing and were quite good. Really interacted with the crowd. The roof was open and it was a really nice night. First thing we noticed is how great the sound was. Anyone that has been to the dome with the roof closed knows how bad it could be. The acoustics were excellent all night. Sun when down and we started to notice how many empty seats there were. Shocking so. The GA was only 3/4 full and half way back it was nicely spread out. Major Tom started about 8:40 and U2 took the stage. This is when I my mouth dropped open. No one except my daughter, the chick an aisle over and I stood up to the opening. After Breathe we sat down. WOW was this a bummer. After the first four songs my daughter said can we stand up. So for the rest of the concert we stood and slowly more and more people stood. Especially during the City of Blinding light, Vertigo part of the concert. The Toronto crowd was very reserved in the 500 section and it appeared that the GA was similar. Maybe someone in the GA could comment better than me on this. The inner circle was really rocking though. the band was absolutely assume. Bono's voice was really on all night. The set list was excellent, my wife was hoping for Stuck in a moment rather than Stay but really loved your Blue room. They didn't play Pride which surprised me. I'm not sure if this is one of there songs that rotates. Really loved Ultraviolet and Bono sang With or Without you, more to the normal version. Love moment of surrender but maybe not as a closer. Still thing Breathe should not open the show either. I really think that they should open with magnificent. that song could really be slowly ramped up until they take the stage and be extra special. All in all a great night. Dome was as good as it could be, Band was really excellent. Crowd a definite D as U2 concerts go. We saw them in Ottawa an no one sat. Soooo, I promised the kids we will go the Montreal if they play !!!

3929994860_257e156943_b.jpg

3929995280_a9ab98dd68_b.jpg

3929995568_28cd137946_b.jpg

I was in your seats for the next night... I'm certain of it!

From what I'm understanding, the crowd was much better on night #2... although no-one stood up til Mysterious Ways when Bono called us 'Fatasses'

I went to both shows. I did GA for show 1. I loved being in the front row.....but you are right. The energy of the front of the stage was amazing. Bono said a few times, "It's goin' off in here!"

I thought the sound mix was poor for the first part of the show. I couldn't hear Edge like I wanted too and the drums seemed quiet.

Then Bono said something like "More Drums"......and then the mix got a lot better.

Bono also said, "We have new songs, old songs, songs we can barely play!" How true is that!

Front row is great. Got in line Tuesday at 5pm or so. I felt like I was among family so we could come and go as we pleased without abusing. I'm amazed at how many people try and bud the GA line though. They see their friend and they come in the line. I'm fine with that. But then they try and "set up shop" like they've been there for the past 15 hours.

Thanks for everyone in GA and in the front row for putting up with my antics. I just want to have a good time and also ensure those around me have one as well.

But I thought the crowd for show 2 was better. (rumor is show one contained a TON of RIM employees)

Anywhoo here are some pictures.

8223_278037140446_512545446_8842078_3426607_n.jpg

8223_278037505446_512545446_8842137_2590036_n.jpg

8223_278037185446_512545446_8842084_6360402_n.jpg

8223_278037210446_512545446_8842088_5593841_n.jpg

8223_278037270446_512545446_8842097_8232029_n.jpg

8223_278037370446_512545446_8842115_2458403_n.jpg

8223_278037555446_512545446_8842145_6620655_n.jpg

Someone posted this in another thread - amazing. Breathtakingly beautiful, and I can't believe how good the sound is!

YouTube - U2 Concert in Toronto 2009

Wow, that's surreal - the sound is amazing from there!

I used Stuck for a bathroom break and Bono asked the condo owners who were watching to flick their lights on and off. I'm trying to find a good vid of that!

Someone posted this in another thread - amazing. Breathtakingly beautiful, and I can't believe how good the sound is!

YouTube - U2 Concert in Toronto 2009

holy fuck. holy fuck. HOLY FUCK!!!!!

That is so awesome I can't even begin to describe. You can hear the bassline and the kick drum. Arguably as good as some audience recordings right inside the venue. Hot damn that is awesome. :up:

love the youtube clip, i really hope the guy was able to get both shows

i'd probably watch 4 hours of show from that angle

-dan

Man, the guy who took the video has a cool appartment :ohmy:

That condo probably runs a bit over 2 million :) He isn't hurting that's for sure. Superb show and it was my first in GA. I had a marvellous time and met some cool folks, like Kevin from Calgary who introduced me to this forum!

Thanks! And yes, it sure was fantastic! This was easily the best concert I have been to and that is not an easy spot to hold. I saw Sigur Ros in the most intimate setting with Amiina as their backup ensemble and that show was just mysterious and masterful. But this show now takes top spot, mainly because of my proximity to the band and their direct interaction with me.

I could never miss 3 songs because I am trying to avoid 60,000 people. I went to Berlin where there were 90,000 people.... and yes - took us forever to get out of the stadium and make our way home but hell with it ´it was worth every minute!

this

I think part of the problem was that RIM gave 2 free tickets apparently to all their employees for the first night - there were a lot of people who were there just to be there if you get my meaning...

I do know what you mean. It seemed like a lot of people were there just to take photos as oppose to really enjoying the concert and the environment. It was very bizarre. The band was on their game (the performance was equivalent to Dublin 3), but the crowd was just flat even in GA.

Fortunately, I was with my wife, Trevster, and 8 other people (1 who joined us while waiting in line), which made the experience more enjoyable.

Yeah I don't know what to say about cameras. I love seeing the pics but really why am I at a concert? I caught myself filming (well, sortof, I just turned the camera on and held it up) during Streets on night 1 and was like "WTF am I doing?!?!". Night 2 I didn't bring my camera in.

Yeah I don't know what to say about cameras. I love seeing the pics but really why am I at a concert? I caught myself filming (well, sortof, I just turned the camera on and held it up) during Streets on night 1 and was like "WTF am I doing?!?!". Night 2 I didn't bring my camera in.

I know what you mean. My wife and I brought our camera with us to both shows. At times I was thinking, "Why am I taking more photos when I probably have a few of these exact same images?"

Next time, I'll have to leave the camera home. Check that, next time, I'll photography or record the crowd as oppose to the band to see people's reactions.

I didn't take any pictures during U2's set. I jumped up and down like a crazy person. That's how it should be :yes:

I didn't take any pictures during U2's set. I jumped up and down like a crazy person. That's how it should be :yes:

I am a multi-tasker, so I took pictures and jumped around. I did more of the later.

I took pictures second night when I had seats... mostly because I am in love with the Claw.

It must be the long pylon at the top of the Claw. :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom