Leaving Gilette Stadium - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:57 PM
crys Leaving Gilette Stadium

I only post this for the fans going to Monday's show, and I didn't want this to get lost in the general thread.....be aware that the traffic out of Gillette Stadium is beyond ridiculous.

We were GA, but not in the claw as my wife is pregnant (we learned of that news a couple months after getting the tickets).....We left immediately once Moment of Surrender had ended, and there is a clear path out of the stadium to the parking lot. We got in our car, went down our lane into the "main" road out of the stadium parking lot.

It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to route 1, which is about maybe half a mile worth of driving from where we were parked. It took another 2 hours to get to route 95. Route 95 is 3 miles from the stadium.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most ridiculous traffic I have ever been in, and maybe worth mentioning I once lived in Los Angeles, in Sherman Oaks, which is where the 101 and 405 meet, widely considered one of the worst highway intersections in the World, this experience was so far past 100 I can't even put it into words. I asked one of the security guards in the parking lot if it was like this for football games, and he replied "this is worse.....route 1 is dead".

Fantastic show, but I will never again visit this stadium.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Luckily I screwed up and went down Route 1 South and my GPS routed me back up the 495. It took me probably 1 1/2 hours to get off of route 1 -- still ridiculous but not 3 hours ridiculous.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Babyface

Oh my god, it truly was THE WORST traffic I've ever been in my life! I did stay for the whole show and sat in that RIDICULOUS traffic for FOUR HOURS. No kidding! I live (what SHOULD be) a half hour away from Gillette and got home at 3:30 am this morning. I'm going again tonight and should be EXCITED, but instead I'm dreading that traffic. I almost started crying from frustration last night and can't imagine feeling any different tonight. Are there any OTHER options that anyone would suggest?!!! Back roads, parking at other lots, etc.?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Forum Moderator

It really was pretty sick. I didn't even start my car until like 12:30am and then it took me probably another 45 minutes to get out of the lot. I actually feel lucky that as soon as I got out of the lot I turned on my GPS and it said to make a right off of route 1 and then it probably took me another 15 minutes to get back to the hotel. I feel lucky to say it only took me 2 1/2 hours after the show ended to go about 5 miles.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

I have seen other venues like this (basically in the sticks with a limited number of ways out).

We were some of the last folks out of the stadium, and had a pretty good parking spot, but it still took us close to 1 1/2 hours to get to the road (headed towards 495). To add to the issue, a car overheated in front of us and had to be pushed off into one of the exit lanes (further congesting things).

We got back to Logan Airport at 2am.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Refugee

We went out to eat, showered and went to bed. We looked out our window and saw the traffic mess, it was a disaster! A sea of red lights and flashing blue. So sorry you guys had to sit through that.

I bet we will have the same issues leaving Giants this week.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Babyface

The thing with Giants Stadium is, there's a couple exits....

But yeah, I hope that the traffic at Giants isn't a 3 hour wait like Gillette....Just make sure you park next to an exit outway....That's what I always do.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
The Fly

Relaying my experience- parked in lot 11- figured to get back to 495 it would be easier to park on that side of the road. After the show made it back to the car easily, and began to leave and stopped dead for almost 45 minutes with little/no movement. At one point I noticed a lot of cars turning around and heading down to the other end of lot 11- a side exit had been opened with its own lane merging into the main exit lane and made it on to rt 1 within a couple minutes of that- I felt bad for those who didn't have room to turn around and head for that side exit.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by muh2o View Post
I only post this for the fans going to Monday's show, and I didn't want this to get lost in the general thread.....be aware that the traffic out of Gillette Stadium is beyond ridiculous.

We were GA, but not in the claw as my wife is pregnant (we learned of that news a couple months after getting the tickets).....We left immediately once Moment of Surrender had ended, and there is a clear path out of the stadium to the parking lot. We got in our car, went down our lane into the "main" road out of the stadium parking lot.

It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to route 1, which is about maybe half a mile worth of driving from where we were parked. It took another 2 hours to get to route 95. Route 95 is 3 miles from the stadium.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most ridiculous traffic I have ever been in, and maybe worth mentioning I once lived in Los Angeles, in Sherman Oaks, which is where the 101 and 405 meet, widely considered one of the worst highway intersections in the World, this experience was so far past 100 I can't even put it into words. I asked one of the security guards in the parking lot if it was like this for football games, and he replied "this is worse.....route 1 is dead".

Fantastic show, but I will never again visit this stadium.
Our experience was exactly the same. We actually had a pretty quick walk to where we were parked and under normal circumstances we would have been out and onto Route 1 in less than 5 minutes. It took us an hour last night, and like you, another 2½ to get to 95. Ridiculous. I will never go to another Gillette concert unless I stay at the Renaissance Hotel.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyJ View Post
Our experience was exactly the same. We actually had a pretty quick walk to where we were parked and under normal circumstances we would have been out and onto Route 1 in less than 5 minutes. It took us an hour last night, and like you, another 2½ to get to 95. Ridiculous. I will never go to another Gillette concert unless I stay at the Renaissance Hotel.
just wondering but is it the same for Patriots games?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Babyface

Local Time: 09:27 PM
It's the same for any big event down at Gillette and it is worse now that the Patriot Place Mall is open. The only thing you can do to offset this is to park at an exterior lot away from the stadium. I park about a half mile away and walk. Some of these smaller lots allow quicker access to Route 1. It's far from a perfect solution but it is an improvement.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Sadly, we had the same experience. What should've been a quick exit due to where we parked and how quickly we got back to the car, actually took just about 2 hours. Then we had to drive another 2 1/2 - 3 hours home. Walked in the door at 4:35 a.m. and left the house at 6:50 to drive Sarah to school (12th grade). Poor Sarah- the teachers all took one look at her and told her to go home! I let David skip (9th grade), and my husband never does this, but he just had to call in a little late to work because there was no way he'd be able to leave the house at 6:30 a.m. and work a 10-12 hour day!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #13
Refugee

We didn't get back to our hotel in Norwood until 1:50am.....it was like 6 miles from the stadium--and they had 6 lanes of traffic going north. I feel bad for anyone doing a second night of GA after getting back so late!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
New Yorker

Lauramullen and I left the parking lot close to 1am, and it was jam-packed. We found another way and turned right instead of left coming out of the lot right in front of the GA gate/CBS scene. Somehow through the winding roads of Patriot Place Circle, we stumbled upon the exit to Route 1 South. Probably saved us a good hour than going left at that gate. Traffic was not moving at all at those intersections!!

I love everything about the Gillette stadium except for the fact that they obviously did not think about the infrastructure when building it. It has a capacity of 68,000+ but there is no public transportation line, and the major and ONLY road out of the stadium is a 2-lane highway???
Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyandkevinca View Post
just wondering but is it the same for Patriots games?
Pretty much if you're driving. The only difference is that they do have a train that runs from downdown Boston to Foxboro for Patriots games. The train isn't very helpful for locals, but it an option for other folks.