Zooropa Discussion (AKA We're Gonna Tweet Out Loud)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope to God Edge or any of the other guys read this garbage about when THEY have to change the setlist.

Willie has been our biggest friend in pushing them to change the setlist!!!!! If you weren't a fan (or even alive) in the early days, please read the live history and you'll see how stagnant they were.

I am unbelievably grateful that Zooropa was played and am now intent on going to Mexico just incase I get lucky!!!!!

Undretsand the massive amount of co-ordination it takes to change songs in such a big setup and you'll understand. from lighting crew (30+) , sound guys, electrics etc. It's a huge effort.

Maybe if they did a stripped down show it could be different but even then. U2 pride themselves on being the best by practicing till it;s absolutely perfect. They have never been an ad-lib band, believe me!!!!

U2 Celebrate Ludicrous Wealth With Frist "Zooropa" in 18 Years

PDT By Caryn Ganz in Amplifier

Sunday night in Sao Paulo, Brazil, U2 made history twice: Their 360° Tour edged out the Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang trek to become the highest-earning tour in history with grosses north of $558 million, and Bono and Co. played "Zooropa" live for the fourth time ever. Slicing Up Eyeballs did some conferring with U2 fan sites and reports it's actually the first time the title track from U2's critic-dividing 1993 album has been aired out in concert in 18 years.

A lot has changed in the past two decades -- a version of the song from 1993 looks sort of quaint next to its 2011 rendition, though Bono seems to have a better handle on the vocal in the olden days (perhaps Bono was distracted this past weekend thinking about all the money he was going to roll around in after the show). "That dollar figure for the gross looks enormous!" the band's longtime manager Paul McGuinness marveled to Billboard. "Of course I can't tell you what the net is, but I can tell you that the band spends enormous sums on production for their audience." (Rolling Stone once put the figure at $750,000 a day in overhead.) That's still quite a chunk of change. Watch and compare:

U2 Celebrate Ludicrous Wealth With First 'Zooropa' in 18 Years - Amplifier

On the one hand, I love the "ludicrous wealth" title.

On the other hand, I'm rolling my eyes at the comment about his vocal. How dare he have the audacity to sound a bit shaky at age 50 and not having performed the song in 18 years, compared to how he sounded at age 33 when the song was fresher in the memory?

Oh, fer pete's sake ...

I have not posted here in many many months (if not over a year) but when I heard they played Zooropa I had to jump in. This is one of my all time favorite songs and I simp'y cannot believe they played it live. I am on the fence if I think the black out stage was a cop out, or sheer brilliance. I thought the song sounded fantastic. Bono could have held the song sheet up to his face for all I care - they took a risk and played a challenging song lyrically and ,musically.

I say kudos - I really do not think there is much more a long time fan could ask for with all the songs they have thrown into the sets.

I simply cannot believe they played Zooropa in it's entirety.

I bought the graphics were kind of weak, but again I am sitting in another hemisphere watching on a 4" screen - if I saw that performance live I might have had a heart attack right there.

Simply brilliant.

Zooropa could actually be even better than it was.

What about this? The band are hiding behind the screen, in the dark, during the first part of the song - the slower part.

Then, during the "And I have no compass" part, when the speed picks up, the band come out of hiding and there is an awesome new light show, using the whole claw - sort of like they did on Unforgettable Fire.

Could be cool. :drool:

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I am hoping the band was just getting used to playing the song (delays and all) and then they really pull the life out it by bringing the lights up at the ,sot dramatic part and then include e bridges.

That song is just so theatrical and has so much drama in the lyrics.

I just say bravo...

Can you post me the whole entry? The quotes I've seen say nothing about not having enough time...

Being on tour (or at least being on tour with U2) can be a very creative environment. On most show days the set-list discussion invariably brings up new ideas, thoughts for the longer term, keeping the show alive and fun. There are far more ideas discussed than ever see the light of day (and trust me, this is not entirely a bad thing) but even then not all of the ideas that the band get excited about will come to fruition. Time is a large factor in this, as there are only so many hours in a day and once the train is rolling those hours seem to tick by at accelerated rate. Hence, days like today are a bit of a gift, where we can sit down and pick through everything that’s been discussed of late and see what we can move towards reality.

Don't be such a sanctimonious twat.

Perhaps the incredible people of Sao Paulo aren't U2 setlist anoraks. The audiences here have been far better than those in NZ and Oz. I was on the field at Melbourne 1, and the lack of audience response to Bad was quite surprising. People in the pit at Brisbane 2 used Bad as their toilet-stop song.

Pardon the French, but get fucked.

You are right, that there were some poor reactions in Oz to certain songs, did I ever say that there weren’t? Forgive me for being part of the 5-10%. Forgive me for being disappointed when we finally get our 5-10% share of the setlist and people treat it like a bucket of cold water. The band see those reactions as disincentive to play surprises. Would have expected more from Sao Paulo, given how great the audience is generally. I made no judegements on them as an audience in general, just disappointing for US fans that U2 will run scared on the thought of playing Zooropa because 90% of the crowd can’t appreciate it.

Bad doesn't fit in the category I am thinking of anyway, it is not a left-field song. It is an underplayed gem, but still played.

Melbourne should also be ashamed with it's reaction to Bad.

It's not exactly right that it had no reaction. It had the same reaction as UV or HMTMKMKM on the previous night. I was in the inner circle on both gigs.
It also got a great ovation in the end.
These songs are for die hard fans as much as OOC. The crowd reaction is different in OOC because it's an up beat song in a moment of complete madness that is the excitement of a gig start.
These gems are for the ones who sleep outside stadiums. I'm a Joshua Tree Tour veteran and it was a joy when friday night we heard ZOOROPA thru the PA. We were in Tears and hugging each other outside the stadium.
Also liked the way it was presented. It was like a secret gig. As if they closed the door for the casual fans and said: “this is our little gift for you guys”. That’s how i received it.
They were really focused on it. Minimal movements. The sound was......F**ckg awesome. No better word to describe it.

Sunday night was my little 17yo daughter first U2 gig. She was born in 93, the same year ZOOROPA was played for the last time. I couldn’t stop holding her in my arms while burning my lungs out loud and She's gonna dream out loud.

Good post. :up:

I hope they keep this song as is for the rest of the tour. Big time thanks to u2 for finally playing it.

Good post. :up:

I hope they keep this song as is for the rest of the tour. Big time thanks to u2 for finally playing it.

Totally agree, and if this is truely the way it was received, then props to all concerned.

My post was in reaction to Matt's comment that the audience was silent through the whole thing.

Front and center, Enjoy!!! ...Looks Mythological!!!

YouTube - U2 360TOUR ZOOROPA - SÃO PAULO MORUMBI 10/04/11...ALE

I might reach 400 posts thanks to ZOOROPA!!! Super Excited!!! Miami 2011!!!

Wow, thanks for posting this. first clip ive seen where you can partially see the band. I too will be attending Miami 2011! (given that I live there). Hope to God they play this again! How epic.

I think U2 should really run with an atmospheric middle section in between the rocking beginning and climax to the show. They've already played atmospheric songs like: Zooropa, Your Blue Room, Unforgettable Fire, electrical storm in this spot but they should really make it a thematic, perhaps even psychedelic (cough *Zooropa/ Pop*) section before getting to COBL by putting a bunch of songs in a row that follow this theme and mood set. I think it would work as a really great transition. U2 usually go for themed sections of their shows, most notably the climax, beginning, and encore, but the middle really should get tied together in the same vein (IMO).

I was there on the outside rail dead center for this gig (just got back home this morning).

Holy crap.

We'd heard "Zooropa" soundchecked the day before, then again earlier before the second show on Sunday. But, I thought they might save it for the Wednesday concert, knowing my luck.

I was kind of zoning out during Miss Sarajevo and not even thinking about Zooropa when Edge's guitar intro started up.

I nearly shit my fucking pants.

Me and the hardcore local fan next to me went bonkers, raising our arms in the air and slapping our foreheads in disbelief, I'm not kidding. When the jam part at the middle kicked in, we pogoed all the way to the end of the song, punching the air with our fists when the synth notes were struck.

Unfortunately, absolutely no one around us was moving or singing. Even the fans inside the pit in front of us stood there like trees flapping in the wind. I didn't give a fuck, but it made me think that most of the fans there that had waited six days in line for those spots weren't familiar with the song (no shit).

The other thing was that you could barely see the lads shrouded in darkness behind the screen. Again, I didn't care, but if they would have been out there jamming and making Bono run around the catwalk selling the song a bit more, the crowd might have woken up.

Getting your mind blown twice at a U2 gig (OOC and Zooropa) is a rare event, though I wouldn't call it the best show of the tour by any stretch. The Buenos Aires 3 show was much better because the crowd was far more insane. The Sao Paulo crowds are similar to the southern European crowds. They set the record for number of days of lining up, but not much crowd crush or between-song singing like you see in Argentina.

Unfortunately, absolutely no one around us was moving or singing. Even the fans inside the pit in front of us stood there like trees flapping in the wind. I didn't give a fuck, but it made me think that most of the fans there that had waited five in line for those spots weren't familiar with the song (no shit).

Hard to believe that people aren't as hardcore as us. Good for you though. I wish I was there. So happy to hear your story.

These gems are for the ones who sleep outside stadiums. I'm a Joshua Tree Tour veteran and it was a joy when friday night we heard ZOOROPA thru the PA. We were in Tears and hugging each other outside the stadium.
Also liked the way it was presented. It was like a secret gig. As if they closed the door for the casual fans and said: “this is our little gift for you guys”. That’s how i received it.
They were really focused on it. Minimal movements. The sound was......F**ckg awesome. No better word to describe it.

Sunday night was my little 17yo daughter first U2 gig. She was born in 93, the same year ZOOROPA was played for the last time. I couldn’t stop holding her in my arms while burning my lungs out loud and She's gonna dream out loud.

:up: You sound like a great Dad! What an incredible night for you both... I'm sure you won't ever forget it! Thanks for posting that!:applaud:

Reading Willie's diary about Zooropa kind of bothered me. They complain about not having time and it is a little insulting. We give them our $$ and they just broke a major world record and they are still tinkering with the show two years in? It is almost over. This has been the least cohesive/consistent tour the boys have ever put on. To me it is the same problem with Spiderman. You spent the money, you bought the toys and the rest of the show seems to be an after thought.

So people complain we dont have enough setlist shake up, and now people complain they are still tinkering?

I honestly don't mind them go on with the tinkering - I think 360 is a tour that was supposed to be evolving as each leg moved on. There can't really be a "finished product" when the band have all these ideas in mind that they can pull out before the tour ends. Zooropa was really a surprise - I never thought they would bring this back. I really hope they keep this because this was the opposite of a usual mid-set mood killer/bathroom break. It just looked beyond mindblowing. All they have to do is just have spotlights on the band or have Bono walk around on the outer circle and the crowd would be a little more awake.

Being on tour (or at least being on tour with U2) can be a very creative environment. On most show days the set-list discussion invariably brings up new ideas, thoughts for the longer term, keeping the show alive and fun. There are far more ideas discussed than ever see the light of day (and trust me, this is not entirely a bad thing) but even then not all of the ideas that the band get excited about will come to fruition. Time is a large factor in this, as there are only so many hours in a day and once the train is rolling those hours seem to tick by at accelerated rate. Hence, days like today are a bit of a gift, where we can sit down and pick through everything that’s been discussed of late and see what we can move towards reality.

I read this and I see that Willie is talking about the crew, not just the four members.

Take a look at the latest video of Dallas talking about the gear and effects and see how much goes into adding or changing a song, or just getting him to have some extra time to sit down and talk changes.

Awesome.

That one was in my personal trifecta wishlist. That is, of those they might actually play. (not counting Acrobat or Red Hill or something).

Lemon and Mofo are the other two. I think Lemon, because of how upbeat and melodic it is, would kill - even to the 'casual/disaffected towards 90's material' crowd.

Awesome.

That one was in my personal trifecta wishlist. That is, of those they might actually play. (not counting Acrobat or Red Hill or something).

Lemon and Mofo are the other two. I think Lemon, because of how upbeat and melodic it is, would kill - even to the 'casual/disaffected towards 90's material' crowd.

I think there's a bigger chance of U2 playing Acrobat or even Red Hill Mining Town than Lemon, simply because Bono cannot sing that song anymore, at least as it sounds on the record. If this tour has proven something, it is that they might play anything that comes to mind - Scarlet and Your Blue Room being proof of this.

Bottom line is, there is still (slight) hope for Acrobat in the future!

Edge could totally sing the high part of Lemon. If Bono can handle not being the centre of attention for a minute, you never know ...

Awesome.

yeah definitely :up:

If I could demand one ultimate fantasy U2 hook up with another artist on a U2 song - it would be them some how, some way, some where, some time, busting Lemon out with Prince taking the lead. And really Prince-ing up the arrangement along the way. Fucking hell.

They could probably do a passable version of it with Edge on the lead, but it wouldn't be quite as good. Not the same tone. Bono can probably still bust that voice out, probably just not anywhere near as clear or with as much strength. ie, not something they could bank on for midway through a long set, in a large stadium, on a long tour, on any given night. It would take near perfect conditions, voice-quality wise. Chances are you'd just get his overcompensation, which is just shouting normally, but for Lemon, would be some godawful satanic shrieking or something.

Anyway, make this happen U2!

3712793481_330332d8e5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom