Zooropa Discussion (AKA We're Gonna Tweet Out Loud)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what would be amazing is if they did a one-two punch like zooropa into hmtmkmkm or something. the set needs a 90s miniset.

I think they should just have it be a moment for the Claw to show off its bag of tricks. I'm kinda bummed they didn't do more with the lights. Make it really look like a "spaceship".

This just shows how ahead of the curve they were when they released Zooropa. it sounds like they could have just written it. And the staging/performance is PERFECT. The screen becomes a performing monolith. I LOVE it. This made my month. I almost want them to just hit the road and restage Zoo TV/Zooropa with the claw.

It'll be a rotator at best, a rare one, like Bad on this tour.

I haven't heard the performance yet (waiting for U2Gigs to hopefully put something up later), but maybe this could be a third rotator with UV and HMTMKMKM as the encore opener, seeing as those two songs have by now enjoyed a pretty good run.

Furthermore, is there a need to persevere with UV in North America seeing as they enjoyed it as a staple during the previous leg there? Zooropa's best chance of surviving lies here I reckon... But I haven't even yet heard how it went down at today's show. I'm just speculating.

intedomine said:
I haven't heard the performance yet (waiting for U2Gigs to hopefully put something up later), but maybe this could be a third rotator with UV and HMTMKMKM as the encore opener, seeing as those two songs have by now enjoyed a pretty good run.

How about no. Why should fans have to choose between show highlights? Why not have multiple highlights? I realize that having a major single and album track from an record that sold nearly 20 million in the same gig would be pushing it for casuals, but we deserve a bone once in a while.

I love Zooropa but I didn't expect it to get an insanely exuberant reaction, much less having to follow the absolute plodding dung that is Miss S. That could kill Streets buzz if they tried it.

It's not really the type of song that makes you picture an entire stadium of people all screaming and pumping their fists, casual fans or not. It's just a fucking awesome song. I'm cool with that.

"the absolute PLODDING DUNG that is Miss S."?!?!?! You're kidding right? I suppose next you'll be calling "Bad" down as being too slow! Stupid! Stupid!!

It'll be a rotator at best, a rare one, like Bad on this tour.

No. Terrible idea. It's perfect where it is right now. The middle part of the show needs some massive improvement, and Zooropa is one big step forward to it.

Sounds amazing, but they have got to change the staging for it. You have to see the band, that's probably why the audience wasn't into it.

I'm very impressed that Edge was able to duplicate the guitar tone from the album.

I think Zooropa'd work closer earlier in the set, actually. But if it were to remain in the middle, I think it needs to be distanced from Vertigo and COBL. And I think this would be the perfect time for the reintroduction of Discotheque, but that's just me...

Sounds amazing, but they have got to change the staging for it. You have to see the band, that's probably why the audience wasn't into it.

I'm very impressed that Edge was able to duplicate the guitar tone from the album.

True , the video from Matt is up now, its annoying me that you couldn't see the band playing.
Hello?! Edge is making magic there... Turn the frigging spots on.

LemonMelon said:
How about no. Why should fans have to choose between show highlights? Why not have multiple highlights? I realize that having a major single and album track from an record that sold nearly 20 million in the same gig would be pushing it for casuals, but we deserve a bone once in a while.

I don't think the 96% of the stadium audience who don't know/remember Zooropa would consider a band playing an obscure song in the dark as a show highlight.

From my experience at Melbourne 2, I sat way back, top tier for the gig and was dismayed by the muted reception amongst the audience to Ultraviolet. It should have been better received, given it's accessibility and it's increased awareness given it's appearance on the U2360 DvD.

If Zooropa stays mid set, I'd be overjoyed, but it's prospects of becoming a staple in that particular position I'd say are very unlikely. Given the length of it's absence, it's better to hear it open the encore, than not at all.

"the absolute PLODDING DUNG that is Miss S."?!?!?! You're kidding right? I suppose next you'll be calling "Bad" down as being too slow! Stupid! Stupid!!

Interesting. He seems to bash MS in every post he makes on this part of the forum.

intedomine said:
I don't think the 96% of the stadium audience who don't know/remember Zooropa would consider a band playing an obscure song in the dark as a show highlight.

Yeah, but those people get 96% of the set, so fuck them. That's my point.

That sounds great. I really hope they keep it.

I think the placement is also good, even for the "casual fans". Beautiful Day comes before it and COBL comes after. I think they can take two boring songs in between. It's not like In A Little While got the crowd going.

Wonderful to hear this song again and to see them changing up the setlist for the better. If I didn't know better (i.e. if Edge hadn't said what he did to the Irish radio station) then I'd read the playing of Zooropa as a clue to their being an imminent mid-tour album release! Still glad to see it seems as fresh as the moment it was released 18 years ago.

Agree with others here that the band shouldn't be hidden for this one - they can use the screen like this but perhaps with the band on the outer ring stage with the fully extended screen as backdrop.

Is it little wonder this band is averse to experiment in this way? Sao Paulo should be ashamed. The biggest setlist surprise U2 have arguably ever put forward, and no reaction from the crowd. That is disgusting, and a big part of why U2 don't bother treating the fans like this.

Shame.

I'm just happy they played it.
This tour has seen the greatest U2 setlists of all time, I think.
Think of some of the songs we got.

Unforgettable Fire
Electrical Storm
Your Blue Room
Zooropa
Ultraviolet
Scarlet (!)

as well as all the unreleased songs - you guys can bitch all you want, and I do agree that ATYCLB is overplayed, but seriously, it's not as if they don't listen to the fans at all...

The biggest setlist surprise U2 have arguably ever put forward, and no reaction from the crowd.

The biggest set list surprise I can think of is them playing fucking Mercy.

But it ended up not being as exciting as this because they, you know, neutered the song.

At least this was a pretty tight and mostly faithful rendition.

What a fantastic surprise and a really great performance. My fingers are firmly crossed for this to be played at Glastonbury although I realise that might be a bit of a long shot. If not, it just needs to hang around for the US leg. Btw, I didn't think the crowd reaction from those videos was too dead, there seemed to be a fair bit of appreciation at the start and end.

loved it! just need amazing lights to go with it now and it will be perfection...

My fingers are firmly crossed for this to be played at Glastonbury although I realise that might be a bit of a long shot.

yeah you said it! I'd give up moaning for MOFO to come back if it meant Zooropa being a dead cert at glasto!!! :sad::drool:

OMG What a sublime performance! Such a shame it wasn't well-received in the crowd, although I also believe that with the right lightning the crowd will go crazy.

I might just kill for a time machine right now :shifty:

yeah i agree with you, ElectricalStorm amazing performance but the lighting just needs changing. good ideas with the light and the screens etc but that whole claw needs to be going OFF when the second part kicks in and seeing the band during the whole thing might help a bit rather than make a crowd like that (who were otherwise fucking CRAZY) feel like they're watching U2 soundtrack a strange arty film from behind a screen. just start off with them lit up in blue+purple or something as well as the screen haha

done right, there's a glasto highlight there..:drool:

Zooropa? :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :love: :heart: :applaud:
Out of Control? Yipppeeeee!
Highest grossing tour of all time. Biggest band in the world for 25 years. C'mon you Irish hoodlums!

Love what Edge has done with Zooropa (especially the 2nd half), but Larry was a little disappointing when you know how the Zooropa drums go (can't blame him for forgetting though, it's been a while!)

The biggest setlist surprise U2 have arguably ever put forward, and no reaction from the crowd. That is disgusting

I thought it got a great reaction on the German guy's vid, Matthias I think his name is (U2006). And another vid too
icon7.gif

Is it little wonder this band is averse to experiment in this way? Sao Paulo should be ashamed. The biggest setlist surprise U2 have arguably ever put forward, and no reaction from the crowd. That is disgusting, and a big part of why U2 don't bother treating the fans like this.

Shame.

It's a boring song live ? Might be a big reason. Then again 90% of the live U2 audience aren't 90's U2 fanatics.

Scarlet and especially YBR this tour are far bigger setlist surprises.

Back
Top Bottom