Will Boots get the Boot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ZooTV was as static as they came for U2. :huh:

How many acoustic covers did they play? You listen to a ZOOTV bootleg and you will find its songlist is different from the others. They have added ONE song since they got to the US (YBR) and then dropped it. Yes, things seemed varied for the first few nights, but it turned the other way. They aren't doing ANYTHING unexpected anymore.

I'm missing the days of the Vertigo tour when we didn't know what to expect night to night... the only surprise they still give us is song ORDER.

How many acoustic covers did they play? You listen to a ZOOTV bootleg and you will find its songlist is different from the others. They have added ONE song since they got to the US (YBR) and then dropped it. Yes, things seemed varied for the first few nights, but it turned the other way. They aren't doing ANYTHING unexpected anymore.

how many acoustic covers did they play? How often did they change this?
When you look at the setlists in a leg, it looks pretty much the same night in and night out - same goes for Popmart...

I'm missing the days of the Vertigo tour when we didn't know what to expect night to night... the only surprise they still give us is song ORDER.

I totally agree with this. Even for U2 standards, the setlists lately have been embedded in concrete. At least with Zoo TV there was hope of varying shine like stars during WOWY or several snippets during Bad. I know that is grasping at straws, but now the big crazy setlist change is that magnificent is played 4th instead of 3rd. It's becoming quite the turnoff that they won't throw loyal long-term fans a bone once in a blue moon and close with 40 or something similar JUST ONCE.

Everything I have heard from the band's camp leads me to believe that SOA will be a relatively mellow, non-pop, experimental, non-mainstream album. I have experienced U2 for long enough to have a good sense of which way the wind is blowing with respect to SOA. Personally, I welcome it, I love the spectrum of all they produce.

I completely disagree. If there is anything I have learned about U2 over the years, it is that the development of their albums changes drastically as they progress. Look back at some of the early comments the band said about HTDAAB and NLOTH. The finished products do not really reflect what was originally said about the direction of the albums. And don't think for one second that the low sales and lack of any radio hits for NLOTH is not going to have some baring on what SOA turns out to be.

When I looked around Giants Stadium for both NY I & II three weeks ago, I saw thousands of "fans" who gave the impression that not only were they not familiar with any of the NLOTH songs (and those were the pop/rock songs on NLOTH!) but were merely killing time in between JT-type warhorses.

I was those shows and completely agree. Only Boots got any kind of reception and reaction from the crowd. People poured out during Moment Of Surrender. The band sees this and it will have an impact on their future. I'm not saying it's going to be major, but what SOA turns out to be vs. what has been described about it so far will be different.

Even for U2 standards, the setlists lately have been embedded in concrete. At least with Zoo TV there was hope of varying shine like stars during WOWY or several snippets during Bad. I know that is grasping at straws, but now the big crazy setlist change is that magnificent is played 4th instead of 3rd. It's becoming quite the turnoff that they won't throw loyal long-term fans a bone once in a blue moon and close with 40 or something similar JUST ONCE.

I again agree that the setlists have been static lately, but if you look at the tour overall, I feel there has been more variety than Zoo TV and Pop Mart.

I completely disagree. If there is anything I have learned about U2 over the years, it is that the development of their albums changes drastically as they progress. Look back at some of the early comments the band said about HTDAAB and NLOTH. The finished products do not really reflect what was originally said about the direction of the albums. And don't think for one second that the low sales and lack of any radio hits for NLOTH is not going to have some baring on what SOA turns out to be.

I appreciate what you're saying but whereas HTDAAB and NLOTH were stand alone, mainstream pop/rock "proper" U2 albums, my impression is that SOA is/will be a collection of tracks created specifically during the NLOTH sessions and representing the more avante-gard and meditative material created during that period. I am not stating change will not occur with further development (obviously I have no idea) but I have specifically read many comments from U2, esp. from Bono, that the SOA tracks represent the more reflective, cerebral side of things as opposed to pop concert-ready songs like Crazy Tonight. Further development of those songs might reflect tinkering within that calmer sub-genre, as opposed to re-tooling already existing tracks into full blown rockers. My original statement reflected my belief that "casual" fans at 2010 shows would be even less into those types of songs than they are into the NLOTH songs, which would really be saying something. Personally, while I am looking forward to a more experimental album, I wouldn't mind some traditional U2 mixed in. I am also curious to see whether any of the Rick Rubin material rears its head at any time.

You are aware that on the latest Rolling Stone blog, all the band members have mentioned they'd like to get some big pop songs on SOA if possible.

they feel the only negative to NLOTH was it's failure to get played on radio.

Sorry, U2's setlists have NEVER been this static! Not Popmart, not ZOOTV. At least they used to experiment with covers.... Changing the song ORDER is not changing the setlist!

:scratch:

ZooTV

2/29 - Venue: Lakeland Arena

Main Set: Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One, Until The End Of The World, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Trying to Throw Your Arms..., Angel Of Harlem, Satellite Of Love, Bad-All I Want Is You-Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Where the Streets , Pride, I Still Haven't Found
Encore(s): Desire, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), With or Without You, Love Is Blindness

3/1 - Venue: Miami Arena

Main Set: Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One, Until The End Of The World, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Trying to Throw Your Arms..., Angel Of Harlem, Satellite Of Love, Bad-All I Want Is You-Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Where the Streets , Pride, I Still Haven't Found
Encore(s): Desire, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), With or Without You, Love Is Blindness

3/3 - Venue: Veterans Memorial Coliseum

3/5 - Venue: The Omni

I'd keep going but, uh, what's the point?

YouTube - wrong sir

You are aware that on the latest Rolling Stone blog, all the band members have mentioned they'd like to get some big pop songs on SOA if possible.

that would be great, i'd love a nice mix. I certainly don't want every other track to be cedars of lebanon.

i'll also believe it when i see it. the key words are "if possible." if articulated by the band, that sentiment is asinine. why wouldn't it be possible?

I appreciate what you're saying but whereas HTDAAB and NLOTH were stand alone, mainstream pop/rock "proper" U2 albums, my impression is that SOA is/will be a collection of tracks created specifically during the NLOTH sessions and representing the more avante-gard and meditative material created during that period. I am not stating change will not occur with further development (obviously I have no idea) but I have specifically read many comments from U2, esp. from Bono, that the SOA tracks represent the more reflective, cerebral side of things as opposed to pop concert-ready songs like Crazy Tonight. Further development of those songs might reflect tinkering within that calmer sub-genre, as opposed to re-tooling already existing tracks into full blown rockers. My original statement reflected my belief that "casual" fans at 2010 shows would be even less into those types of songs than they are into the NLOTH songs, which would really be saying something. Personally, while I am looking forward to a more experimental album, I wouldn't mind some traditional U2 mixed in. I am also curious to see whether any of the Rick Rubin material rears its head at any time.

I see what you're saying. I guess what it comes down to is how the band is going to actually approach the album (as either a Zooropa-esque interlude or a stand alone album). If they go the Zooropa route, which I'm not saying is a bad thing, then I agree with everything you said in terms of the types of songs and the casual fan's response to it. However, if they go the stand alone album route, then I think things may turn out more like what I mentioned in my other posts.

:scratch:

ZooTV

2/29 - Venue: Lakeland Arena

3/1 - Venue: Miami Arena

3/3 - Venue: Veterans Memorial Coliseum

3/5 - Venue: The Omni

I'd keep going but, uh, what's the point?

YouTube - wrong sir

No, I don't think so.

Where are our walking U2 encyclopedia posters? Who can tell us how many songs were played total during ZOOTV vs 360 to date?

Yes, 360 started off with variety, but then it stopped. Song order is all they have left....

And btw, anyone here expect to hear a SINGLE new or unexpected track in the next 5 or 6 360 shows???

And btw part II; I do notice that you are cooking the books by picking the early shows when U2 was struggling to learn the songs and make sure they went off alright. We all know they started playing unexpected gems like Wild Rover, dancing queen, van diemen's land, slow dancing, unchained melody, knockin on heaven's door, etc....

No, I don't think so.

Where are our walking U2 encyclopedia posters? Who can tell us how many songs were played total during ZOOTV vs 360 to date?

Yes, 360 started off with variety, but then it stopped. Song order is all they have left....

And btw, anyone here expect to hear a SINGLE new or unexpected track in the next 5 or 6 360 shows???

And btw part II; I do notice that you are cooking the books by picking the early shows when U2 was struggling to learn the songs and make sure they went off alright. We all know they started playing unexpected gems like Wild Rover, dancing queen, van diemen's land, slow dancing, unchained melody, knockin on heaven's door, etc....

In the first year of ZooTV, the only variations ever were little covers like that, and later, SBS being occasionally thrown in. The base setlist was the same from Lakeland to Dublin.

Well, so what are the numbers? How many songs played? I betcha ZOOTV (pre-zooropa to be fair) they played more songs than they have on 360, and more than they are likely to by the end of this year. I frankly don't expect them to premiere ANY new/unexpected songs by the end of 2009; no covers, none of the unplayed 5 tracks off of the album, I don't even expect (as extreme as it sounds) any tracks that they haven't played yet by the end of 2009!

I can't tell you how badly I want to be wrong; but they're playing 4-5 songs off of their most white-bread, bland, safe, "please give us money" album and dropping new songs to do it!

And the other thing about ZOOTV is that they were playing most of the new album!
That may have caused a certain amount of the set list to stay the same. They wanted to play at least 10 songs off of the new album a night! Yeah, variety wasn't the strong suit, but variety from everything they had ever done before? Oh yeah!

Nothing like that is happening in 2009..... 5 songs from ATYCLB isn't new ground, whether you like the songs or not - we've been there!

ZooTv: 54 songs

minus the 7 zooropa songs that's only a 10 song difference from the 37 so far on this tour.

In that 54 songs 17 were covers. And I'm not about to sit down and determine how many of those remaining 10 showed up after Zooropa started because I think the numbers speak for themselves.

ZooTv: 54 songs

minus the 7 zooropa songs that's only a 10 song difference from the 37 so far on this tour.

In that 54 songs 17 were covers. And I'm not about to sit down and determine how many of those remaining 10 showed up after Zooropa started because I think the numbers speak for themselves.

You think 10 more will show up? I sure hope so...... But we've only had ONE new one show up all this leg! (Your Blue Room) At this rate we wouldn't get there....

But even if they do, I'd take a tour with equal # of songs, but a majority of the new album played as opposed to what we have...

Don't get me wrong! I was recently called a "U2 apologist" on these boards! The performances are beyond compare this time out! But this static setlist, with 4-5 ATYCLB vanilla warhorses, is disappointing to be sure...

And the other thing about ZOOTV is that they were playing most of the new album!
That may have caused a certain amount of the set list to stay the same. They wanted to play at least 10 songs off of the new album a night! Yeah, variety wasn't the strong suit, but variety from everything they had ever done before? Oh yeah!

I do agree with this. I really wish they would play more NLOTH songs on this tour.

I do agree with this. I really wish they would play more NLOTH songs on this tour.

Frankly, that's what bothers me. They could play the exact same setlist again and again if they had 10 songs from the new album and a brand new cover. I'd be happy!

But to have so few new songs AND so little variation? :doh: Bad combo.....

But even if they do, I'd take a tour with equal # of songs, but a majority of the new album played as opposed to what we have...

I do miss UC, and SUC would have been obvious, but it's exclusion makes me hopeful that U2 realized how dumb it is.

I don't think anyone really expected WAS, Cedars, or Fez. They just aren't stadium songs, this is a completely different type of album than AB, it was never going to get all played.

I do miss UC, and SUC would have been obvious, but it's exclusion makes me hopeful that U2 realized how dumb it is.

I don't think anyone really expected WAS, Cedars, or Fez. They just aren't stadium songs, this is a completely different type of album than AB, it was never going to get all played.

I expected FEZ, and I do think it is a stadium song...... WAS and Cedars? I expected them to at least get TRIED. you know?
SUC? Yeah, I expected that, but I knew it would be hard for Bono to remember all those lyrics! ;)

I expected FEZ, and I do think it is a stadium song...... WAS and Cedars? I expected them to at least get TRIED. you know?
SUC? Yeah, I expected that, but I knew it would be hard for Bono to remember all those lyrics! ;)

I wasn't expecting Cedars, but I definitely was expecting WAS and SUC, with neither on a nightly basis. I would have died if they had tried F-BB in a stadium. It would be hard to get right, but I think Edge and Terry could pull it off.

I wasn't expecting Cedars, but I definitely was expecting WAS and SUC, with neither on a nightly basis. I would have died if they had tried F-BB in a stadium. It would be hard to get right, but I think Edge and Terry could pull it off.

I guess I should have said I HOPED WAS and COL would get tried, but I knew they probably wouldn't both.... all the same. It never occurred to me that only 7 songs would get tried live....

Well, so what are the numbers? How many songs played? I betcha ZOOTV (pre-zooropa to be fair) they played more songs than they have on 360, and more than they are likely to by the end of this year. I frankly don't expect them to premiere ANY new/unexpected songs by the end of 2009; no covers, none of the unplayed 5 tracks off of the album, I don't even expect (as extreme as it sounds) any tracks that they haven't played yet by the end of 2009!

I can't tell you how badly I want to be wrong; but they're playing 4-5 songs off of their most white-bread, bland, safe, "please give us money" album and dropping new songs to do it!

they played she's the one at giants stadium... full band, not just edge and bono killing time. does that work for you?

if one spot in the setlist where they'd break out an acoustic cover = rotating setlists to you, well, have fun.

No. Boots is one of their best live songs and rocks very hard. It stands next to songs like Vertigo and Elevation when it comes to audience participation. I've never been a big fan of the song, but it's amazing live, together with the Crazy Remix. U2 would be stupid to drop these two. I hope they add more new stuff instead of dropping it.
beLIEve – but I can not disagree more. Boots is a terrible tune, which outside the pit really nobody cares about at all. The gig started with BD for the masses, the NLOTH songs as a 4 song intro just did not work, and it never will. Fine, you like the Crazy Tonight performance. I do hate it, it is a farce – a throwaway moment, you might find funny, when watching the nice screen work. But it does steal at least 1-2 tunes as slots. Put in "Exit" and "Discotheque" and I tell you, what is better live ...

so one song changing is set list "variation"?

again, you confuse me.

One song would be DRAMATIC variation compared to what we've had lately...

Seriously, if out of 23 songs you knew that there would be 1 wild card; anything might be there: an old classic, a cover, but whatever it was would be unexpected... well, I would prefer that to no surprises at all.... Just 1 surprise a night and I think we'd all feel spoiled!

Back
Top Bottom