U2 360 Set List - what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to one of willies diarys a log to the transitions are done by video and lighting, now i havent been to a show yet, but is this the case? from some of the clips on youtube i have seen videos carry on after certain songs etc?

so what are the segues and movements within the set? I have only listened to several of the bootlegs, but i haven't heard any segues. there is the cool intro to bd, the crazy-sbs , and the acoustic section- other than those what is there that are gateway songs / segues. i haven't heard them on the bootlegs, in fact this seems to be the most disjointed u2 show i have ever heard. i think they are still working on it, and it will evolve and get better but right now, i don't think that is a very valid argument for the static setlist.

having been to the show now I can honoustly say that they are doing a good job this tour but there is a lot of room for "improvement"if I may be so modest. IMHO they miss out BIG time however by not creating this:

* Unknown caller->Drowning man-> Unforgettable Fire
* Bad->40 -> how long to sing this song-> Electrical storm

Both would be fantastic I think

It's not concept driven but there are some very defined movements within the set. It doesn't come across as much on paper but in person there are some definate segueway/gateway songs between sections and the setlist has a pretty organic flow to it.

Well, that's just dandy. But why aren't they interested in finding a set that flows EXTREMELY well, rather than just acceptably so? Finding an excellent set involves actually searching, and they seem pretty content with what they have. You couldn't even argue they're trying to please everyone with the current set, because there are people in this world who enjoy 90s and early 80s U2.

But they're moving One around, that's something. Maybe they'll finally place it right after the Desmond Tutu speech. That they haven't done this already is pretty bizarre.

Well, that's just dandy. But why aren't they interested in finding a set that flows EXTREMELY well, rather than just acceptably so? Finding an excellent set involves actually searching, and they seem pretty content with what they have. You couldn't even argue they're trying to please everyone with the current set, because there are people in this world who enjoy 90s and early 80s U2.

well don't speak too soon. they seem to be adding songs at a pretty rapid rate. they've already played 32 songs this tour and we're only 14 gigs in.

You couldn't even argue they're trying to please everyone with the current set, because there are people in this world who enjoy 90s and early 80s U2.
you could argue do that they do the same thing a lot of bands (including U2 throughout their entire career) do: play new/recent material, play your best loved material, play something "unexpected"

But they're moving One around, that's something. Maybe they'll finally place it right after the Desmond Tutu speech. That they haven't done this already is pretty bizarre.
a deaf man with headphones on could tell that the only way to go after the crescendo in Tutu's speech is Streets

well don't speak too soon. they seem to be adding songs at a pretty rapid rate. they've already played 32 songs this tour and we're only 14 gigs in.
somehow I don't think it'll ever "suffice" for some

I have put my thoughts in other threads, so now I will go with what I think would be a good 2 nights in the same city choice of set lists:

NIGHT ONE:

1.)Breathe
2.)No Line on the Horizon
3.)Get on your Boots
4.)Magnificent
5.)Beautiful Day
6.)Full band Desire
7.)Until the end of the world
8.)New Year's Day
9.)Drowning Man
10.)Unknown Caller
11.)Unforgettable fire
12.)City of Blinding Lights
13.)Vertigo
14.)Crazy Tonight remix
15.)Sunday Bloody Sunday
16.)Pride
17.)MLK
18.)Walk On>>Desmond Tutu
19.)Streets
20.)One
Encore
21.)Ultraviolet
22.)Stay
23.)Moment of Surrender/40

NIGHT 2

1.)Get on Your Boots
2.)Even Better than the Real Thing
3.)No Line on the Horizon B Side
4.)Magnificent
5.)Beautiful Day
6.)Still Haven't found
7.)Electrical Storm
8.)Unknown Caller
9.)A Sort of Homecoming
10.)City of Blinding Lights
11.)Breathe
12.)Discotheque
13.)Silver and Gold
14.)All Along the Watchtower
15.)Walk On
16.)MLK snippet leads to Please then Desmond Tutu
17.)Streets
18.)Bad/40
Encore 1
19.)Last Night On Earth
20.)Exit
21.)Love is Blindness
Encore 2
22.)Ultraviolet
23.)With or Without you/Shine like stars
24.)Moment of Surrender
Crowd REALLY,REALLY begging for more, like a Boston or Dublin crowd, come back with either Vertigo or Out of Control to end with a rocker.

This shakes things up and allows for some POP and other 90s material. It also allows for Bono to keep his political/speech making segment, albeit with some different material. It also shakes up the encores.

Jesus Christ. They've been pretty much changing it every night. Last night there was essentially no acoustic set, just the one song. They've worked on a flow which they think suits the show, they're not going to throw it out because you think they should, they'll continue to tweak it instead, like throwing in the Achtung Baby section. We're less than 15 shows in at this point to a tour which by the looks of it will last two full years. They've played nearly 35 songs in 15 shows with setlist which only has 23 songs, that's a healthy amount of change.

Sorry their not playing the songs YOU want, but hell you're not the only person on the effing planet, you know.

Sorry their not playing the songs YOU want, but hell you're not the only person on the effing planet, you know.

What a preposterous statement- lots of people like early 80s and 90s U2. This is a "typical argument" used against anyone "selfish" enough to like Boy, Zooropa and Pop.

What a preposterous statement- lots of people like early 80s and 90s U2.
I don't want to sound too obvious but don't you reckon that's why they threw Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet in there?

now, if your arguement is that they should play less of their recent material, less hits and less live favourites and instead play POP and October then you are really saying "play what I want you to play"
because even if you do get 500 people to agree with you it still doesn't make sense for the band to do so

I don't want to sound too obvious but don't you reckon that's why they threw Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet in there?

now, if your arguement is that they should play less of their recent material, less hits and less live favourites and instead play POP and October then you are really saying "play what I want you to play"
because even if you do get 500 people to agree with you it still doesn't make sense for the band to do so

common sense. :up:

Here is a setlist I put together, keeping all the staples in place:

01. Get On Your Boots
02. Magnificent
03. Beautiful Day {snippet: Staring At The Sun}
04. Until The End of The World / The Fly
05. New Year's Day / The Electric Co.
06. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / I Will Follow
07. Stuck in A Moment You Can't Get Out of [Acoustic] {snippet: White As Snow} / Walk On
08. Electrical Storm / Even Better Than The Real Thing
09. New York / Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. Desire / Angel of Harlem
11. Mysterious Ways / Elevation
12. I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight [Remix]
13. Vertigo {snippet: Stories For Boys}
14. Gone / Stand Up Comedy
15. Kite / Staring At The Sun
16. Bad
17. Where The Streets Have No Name

18. City of Blinding Lights
19. Unknown Caller / The Unforgettable Fire
20. Breathe
21. One

22. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
23. All I Want is You / With or Without You
24. Moment of Surrender {snippet: Cedars of Lebanon}

What a preposterous statement- lots of people like early 80s and 90s U2. This is a "typical argument" used against anyone "selfish" enough to like Boy, Zooropa and Pop.

They heavily played songs from the Boy era last tour so the Boy era fans are hardly in a position to whine, this time its the Unforgettable Fire which seems to be getting some love. As for Pop, while I love the album, it's clear the band don't particularly like playing those songs live, nor Zooropa. Get over it. Bottom line, your complaining because they're not playing the songs you want, tough crap, don't go to the concert or better still stop reading the setlists every night.

People whinging about setlist rotation, and it is whinging at this point have an unrealistic expectation of a band which is playing 7 songs per night of a 11 track new album. If you go back to when REM were popular during the monster tour, they played 40 different songs in 35 concerts and they played 2 extra songs per night. Bands who want to play new material heavily basically end up in the position of playing the new stuff every night, a portion of the greatest hits and one or two bones for the die hard. U2 are no different to almost every other band out there in that respect.

For all people whitter on about Springsteen who seems to be the only guy who goes for an extremely heavy nightly rotation. He's only playing on average 4 or 5 songs from his new album in a 28 song set. And before people whinge some more about the length of U2's set, Springsteen hasn't had the vocal problems Bono's had, and frankly Bruce's back-catalogue is perfectly suited to his vocal range, U2's catalogue is full of songs Bono either couldn't now sing, or if he attempted it nightly would have Edge singing by the 3rd leg of the tour. Frankly at this point Pearl Jam are just playing to the diehards which is a position they chose themselves to be in, and fair play to them but they're not a valid comparison.

taking what the band is doing recently, here is the ideal setlist i would want to see if i was there in person:

1. Breathe
  2. No Line On The Horizon
  3. Get On Your Boots
  4. Magnificent
  5. Beautiful Day/Blackbird
  6. One/She's A Mystery To Me
  7. Until The End Of The World
  8. New Year's Day
  9. Electrical Storm
  10. Unknown Caller
  11. The Unforgettable Fire
  12. City Of Blinding Lights
  13. Vertigo
  14. Crazy Tonight
  15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  16. Pride
  17. MLK
  18. Walk On/Desmond Tutu Speech
  19. Where The Streets Have No Name
  20. 40/Bad/40
  21. Ultraviolet
  22. With Or Without You
  23. Drowning Man
  24. Moment Of Surrender

They heavily played songs from the Boy era last tour so the Boy era fans are hardly in a position to whine, this time its the Unforgettable Fire which seems to be getting some love. As for Pop, while I love the album, it's clear the band don't particularly like playing those songs live, nor Zooropa. Get over it. Bottom line, your complaining because they're not playing the songs you want, tough crap, don't go to the concert or better still stop reading the setlists every night.

People whinging about setlist rotation, and it is whinging at this point have an unrealistic expectation of a band which is playing 7 songs per night of a 11 track new album. If you go back to when REM were popular during the monster tour, they played 40 different songs in 35 concerts and they played 2 extra songs per night. Bands who want to play new material heavily basically end up in the position of playing the new stuff every night, a portion of the greatest hits and one or two bones for the die hard. U2 are no different to almost every other band out there in that respect.

For all people whitter on about Springsteen who seems to be the only guy who goes for an extremely heavy nightly rotation. He's only playing on average 4 or 5 songs from his new album in a 28 song set. And before people whinge some more about the length of U2's set, Springsteen hasn't had the vocal problems Bono's had, and frankly Bruce's back-catalogue is perfectly suited to his vocal range, U2's catalogue is full of songs Bono either couldn't now sing, or if he attempted it nightly would have Edge singing by the 3rd leg of the tour. Frankly at this point Pearl Jam are just playing to the diehards which is a position they chose themselves to be in, and fair play to them but they're not a valid comparison.

Good post, but if everyone agreed this forum would be very dull indeed. :wave:

they should have 1 spot on the set each night where they play 1 different song each night. just play 1 rare song, or 1 they havent played in a while in that spot and then play a different one the next night. so they'll cover almost their whole catalogue. and keep it a secret so we'll be suprised each night.

i think that would stop all the setlist bitching.

Regarding Springsteen and Bono's voices... truth be told, Bono's voice is in much better shape nowadays than Springsteen's, and Bono can really handle most of the U2 back-catalogue with reasonable ease. See: Bad sounding perfect this tour and last, Streets at album tuning, Ultraviolet practically causing stadiums to collapse, Miss Sarajevo last tour, the very well done falsetto parts on ES, et cetera.

Regarding Springsteen and Bono's voices... truth be told, Bono's voice is in much better shape nowadays than Springsteen's, and Bono can really handle most of the U2 back-catalogue with reasonable ease. See: Bad sounding perfect this tour and last, Streets at album tuning, Ultraviolet practically causing stadiums to collapse, Miss Sarajevo last tour, the very well done falsetto parts on ES, et cetera.

But he can do that in part due to the spacing between shows, the limited length of the setlist and resting his voice on other songs (i.e not really pushing himself this time around on Vertigo).

taking what the band is doing recently, here is the ideal setlist i would want to see if i was there in person:

1. Breathe
  2. No Line On The Horizon
  3. Get On Your Boots
  4. Magnificent
  5. Beautiful Day/Blackbird
  6. One/She's A Mystery To Me
  7. Until The End Of The World
  8. New Year's Day
  9. Electrical Storm
  10. Unknown Caller
  11. The Unforgettable Fire
  12. City Of Blinding Lights
  13. Vertigo
  14. Crazy Tonight
  15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  16. Pride
  17. MLK
  18. Walk On/Desmond Tutu Speech
  19. Where The Streets Have No Name
  20. 40/Bad/40
  21. Ultraviolet
  22. With Or Without You
  23. Drowning Man
  24. Moment Of Surrender

Never will we ever be blessed like this.

they should have 1 spot on the set each night where they play 1 different song each night. just play 1 rare song, or 1 they havent played in a while in that spot and then play a different one the next night. so they'll cover almost their whole catalogue. and keep it a secret so we'll be suprised each night.

i think that would stop all the setlist bitching.

This is what they're almost doing, with the three songs after Beautiful Day more or less not being fixed. Now, they're not playing a new song in that spot every night, but they do it frequently (and at times also repeating a rarity).

But has the setlist bitching stopped...?

They heavily played songs from the Boy era last tour so the Boy era fans are hardly in a position to whine, this time its the Unforgettable Fire which seems to be getting some love. As for Pop, while I love the album, it's clear the band don't particularly like playing those songs live, nor Zooropa. Get over it. .quote]

No I certainly won't "get over it" and nor will the considerable number of "selfish" people who agree with me. The original point is that U2 are not catering for all tastes as setlist defenders keep insisting.

This is what they're almost doing, with the three songs after Beautiful Day more or less not being fixed. Now, they're not playing a new song in that spot every night, but they do it frequently (and at times also repeating a rarity).

But has the setlist bitching stopped...?

i mean something like this:

Breathe
NLOTH
GOYB
Mag
BD
ISHF....
Desire
IN GODS COUNTRY
UC

then next

B
NL
GB
Mag
BD
IALW
I FALL DOWN
AOH
etc etc

then after

B
NL
GB
Mag
BD
ISHF....
Party Girl
Desire
LAST NIGHT ON EARTH
UC etc etc

see what im getting at, 1 spot reserved for a different suprise song each night. so you know it's coming but you never know what it will be :drool:

No I certainly won't "get over it" and nor will the considerable number of "selfish" people who agree with me. The original point is that U2 are not catering for all tastes as setlist defenders keep insisting.
whose original point is this though?
I thought that the original point was that U2's setlist is top heavy with hits and live favourites
as it always has been

Unforgettable Fire is NOT early 80s U2. Ultraviolet is from Achtung Baby, which is by no means what I was referring to by "90s U2".

I know it's so much easier to resort to hyperbole, but I don't think anyone in this conversation has ever asked U2 to play Pop and October in their entirety rather than the hits, merely to mix in a song or two from them occasionally, because, you know, some people like those albums.

They heavily played songs from the Boy era last tour so the Boy era fans are hardly in a position to whine, this time its the Unforgettable Fire which seems to be getting some love. As for Pop, while I love the album, it's clear the band don't particularly like playing those songs live, nor Zooropa. Get over it. .quote]

Who the hell cares if they are or aren't "catering for all tastes", they're clearly catering for the majority. It's frankly impossible to make everyone happy and would end up with a frankestein like set list if they even attempted to. The vast majority of people attend one show. Not every album can be catered every night, and frankly as I'm sick of saying, this band is about providing the best setlist in their mind to each audience, each night, not catering to the U2 fetishists.

What your basically saying is "why oh why aren't they mixing up the setlist so the small percentage of U2 fans who slavishly listen to every bootleg and record every setlist have something new to talk about". The overwhelming majority of folks at the concert don't give a shit about whether a song from October is played or whether Zooropa or Lemon is played, and they especially don't care if their played a show a couple of weeks later. The overwhelming majority of the audience judging by the rave reviews the tour has been great are quite happy, sorry your not...but really very few people outside of this forum give two hoots.

They heavily catered for early 80's U2 last tour, now it's mid 80's turn. Achtung Baby is 90's U2, it's not the full spectrum of 90's U2 but it's a valid part of that sound and they've heavily playing it this tour as they did last tour . Yes it's a tad annoying the band don't seem to rate Zooropa or Pop but they're not beholden to your tastes or mine. I'm not particular sure what occasionally including a song from Pop or Boy would do except allow some fanboy to tick a setlist box.

Back
Top Bottom