please tell me about ultraviolet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artinis1

The Fly
from nick, chicago

i am absolutely thrilled they have been playing this song, from the you tube clips i have seen it looks awesome, but the quality of the clips are so so, to those that have seen shows, how good is the performance and do you think it will remain in the setlist as a staple for this tour, i am hoping to see it at the chicago shows and wish they would film a dvd soon so that i can finally have an official live version of it, any info is appreciated

it is by far one of the best songs of the tour live and Bono sounds really into it so they wont drop this trust me. one of the highlight of dublin II for me at least

I think it sounds great at the four shows I've seen, and my girlfriend said it has been the highlight for her so far (she wasn't greatly familiar with it previously).

It sounds amazing and I'm thrilled they brought it back, but I wouldn't mind them rotating it with another 90's song like Zooropa, or heck, even Acrobat (in our dreams!). Just something to shake up the encore a bit as it has, for the most part, been completely static so far.

one of the highlights for me at Paris I! it was really really beautiful :heart:

It`s definetly one of the highlights of the show.
It was amazing both nights in Amsterdam.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. If they are gonna mix up the Encores , they better switch WOWY with something else instead of UV.

it's like the perfect fusion between the oldschool delay songs and the new power chord rippers, edge at his finest, hidden gem of achtung

It sounds amazing and I'm thrilled they brought it back, but I wouldn't mind them rotating it with another 90's song like Zooropa, or heck, even Acrobat (in our dreams!). Just something to shake up the encore a bit as it has, for the most part, been completely static so far.

I agree, the encore's have been extremely static. i really wish they'd shake things up a bit.

Sounds great on the boots. I can't wait to see it at Giants Stadium. One of my favorite songs by them and one I've always wanted to see...

Does anyone else feel like Bono's performances of UV on this tour have all fallen short of the first Barcelona show? He practically blew the stadium apart then... in the middle of a bit of a shaky show, he was able to have a performance well beyond perfection with the rest of the band doing very well themselves, pretty much salvaging the One disaster.

Does anyone else feel like Bono's performances of UV on this tour have all fallen short of the first Barcelona show? He practically blew the stadium apart then... in the middle of a bit of a shaky show, he was able to have a performance well beyond perfection with the rest of the band doing very well themselves, pretty much salvaging the One disaster.

I'm listening to Amsterdam and it's pretty powerful to me

I'm glad UV is back and it runs the ZOO TV rendition very close. Bono sounds great on the main part of the song, a joy to listen to, but for some reason he sings the intro in that annoying little voice he used on the Elevation and Vertigo tours.

2009-07-07 - Milan is to me the best yet :drool:

I will go ape-sh*t if they don't play that on their U.S. leg. I don't mind some rotation myself, but how often do they play this song live, you know?

I agree...I should have kept myself under the set-list rock...

i might not go ape-sh*t...but I'll :sad: cry if they don't play it...

although i haven't seen it in person yet, ultraviolet is my favorite u2 song, and just from the few youtube clips i've seen, i am drooling over it! bono does indeed seem like he is really pouring himself into it, and the effects are awesome for it.

I will go ape-sh*t if they don't play that on their U.S. leg. I don't mind some rotation myself, but how often do they play this song live, you know?

agree. Personally, I'd rather have a set full of my favourite songs that was the exact same set played the night before than have a set rotate but then drop some of the songs I really wanted to hear. after all, I'm only seeing one show! why would I care if I got the same show as Dublin 2 or whatever? I think U2 does a good compromise by varying it up slightly... so far they've played UV every show so I think it's probably a safe bet. It's the song I'm looking forward to most.

I am of the opposite persuasion. I thought it sounded weak during barca (understandably) but has really grown wings since then

I agree. It had such power during Dublin 3.......

The band sounded tight and Bono really gave a very powerful vocal performance. Easily among the top 3 highlights for me during a show of almost non-stop highlights.

just be happy with what u2 plays...if you didnt know the setlist by reading this or other fansites you wouldnt even know that they were intending to play it in the first place.

oh wait....:wink:

just be happy with what u2 plays...if you didnt know the setlist by reading this or other fansites you wouldnt even know that they were intending to play it in the first place.

oh wait....:wink:
hey, i'll be happy with anything they play, don't get me wrong there. but I don't think I'm one of the only people here who would love to see one of the band's most underrated songs played consistently for the first time in 16 years, you know? On that note, I know I wouldn't mind seeing songs like Streets or One played either, even though most people here are probably sick to death of them as well.

Just personal taste, I guess.

What's that new thing they play before they play ultraviolet? That techno voice? What is it saying?

I am of the opposite persuasion. I thought it sounded weak during barca (understandably) but has really grown wings since then

I just came looking for a thread about this song because I just saw the clip from Poland, and was wondering what the heck happened to this song - granted, I haven't been following the past 2-3 weeks, but in the beginning of the tour, UV was the most powerful, old school Bono to me, I was so loving this song. Maybe it was an off night, but it seriously sounds like the whole band was on Valium during this song, and Bono lacked the power and energy he had during the early performances of this song. To me, the Barca perfomances were raw passion. The clip I just saw lacked any passion at all during this song. I am just hoping it was an off night, because I LOVE this song, and loved the early performances of it.

What's that new thing they play before they play ultraviolet? That techno voice? What is it saying?

I believe it is an alien voice reciting part of Stop All The Clocks by W. H. Auden. It wasn't there at Amsterdam, but appeared at the first Dublin show. I find it really chilling.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone

W. H. Auden

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Back
Top Bottom