Changing up the set for 2011?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hmm:

When I Look at World would be a good candidate.. it would fit into the theme of the tour as well..

and give the ATYCLB haters more fuel for their fire

A never-before-played classic??????? :shocked:

It's DEFINITELY going to be One. No doubt about that at all.

:wink:

No, but in all reality, my bet is on Drowning Man or Heartland. Although, I'd much sooner have Heartland.

Even though I wouldn't consider either of them "classics", but I'd be happy with either making an appearance in the set.

?

Wake Up Dead Man has been played dozens of time in concert.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's most likely that Willie was referring to Zooropa. It's the one that people claimed to have heard. He may have just not been personally aware that they'd tried it a couple of times back in the day. Or he was playing a little loose with the term "never before played."

No I mean I would like to see it...

and it would be interesting to see how the crowd would react to revamped 10 year old material that saw limited live play (as did all of Pop).

edit: Oh I wasn't following track with the current conversation (about never-before-played songs).

Maybe Willie meant "limited" play, rather than those few songs that have never been debuted live.

If that was the case then we could throw almost every track on Zooropa into the mix, along with If God Will Send His Angels, Do You Feel Loved, Last Night On Earth, So Cruel, Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World...among others.

? Last Night on Earth was played at every Popmart show and was a single.

I think Willie said album track too, right? That should eliminate all singles from discussion.

If we're talking strictly never-before-played songs: Drowning Man's a likely candidate, since they've been tweaking that since 2009. Alas, Acrobat can never be played, as Interference would just straight-up implode (you thought the meltdown from Mercy was bad? You have no idea.)
As for very rare songs: Zooropa would be epic, and it actually seems quite likely. Not sure if he'd think of that as a "classic", though...maybe God Pt. II? Hasn't been played since Lovetown, I believe, and it'd certainly be a killer "rock moment".

EDIT: Just had a thought...Zooropa opening the final encore, followed up by Ultraviolet. Holy shit. :drool:

If we're talking strictly never-before-played songs: Drowning Man's a likely candidate, since they've been tweaking that since 2009. Alas, Acrobat can never be played, as Interference would just straight-up implode (you thought the meltdown from Mercy was bad? You have no idea.)
As for very rare songs: Zooropa would be epic, and it actually seems quite likely. Not sure if he'd think of that as a "classic", though...maybe God Pt. II? Hasn't been played since Lovetown, I believe, and it'd certainly be a killer "rock moment".

EDIT: Just had a thought...Zooropa opening the final encore, followed up by Ultraviolet. Holy shit. :drool:

God Part II would be a dream come true! Its just a kick ass song. That and Hawkmoon 269 are my two dream songs left that I have not seen done in person (my other was Electric Co until the Vertigo tour) But God Part II was done extensively on the Lovetown tour. Lovetown obviously did not make it to S. America or N. America so it would be a new song for those regions.

Zooropa, done properly with the right rehearsal and backing (yes, it needs backing tracks or it wont sound right) it would be epic. I'm not holding my breath though. I think Stingray into Zooropa as the opening of the show would be one of the best openers they have ever done. Or just open with Zooropa, it has its own opening intro anyway. Something they have been sorely lacking on this tour is a good opening song/sequence.

i think U2 should let Radiohead play their new album in full right after the new COBL intro. the band and crowd would watch in awe.

If they did Zooropa-Ultraviolet it would be the best decision they made since they made Zooropa.

Zooropa?
Red Hill Mining Town?
Luminous Times??
ACROBAT???

maybe IT IS Zooropa, maybe IT COULD BE When I look At The World (I love that song)

whatever it is, MAKE IT HAPPEN HERE IN CHILE!!!!

30 DAYS!!!!!! :hyper:

I would love, love, love Zooropa opening. And Acrobat is kind of the live holy grail. But... given this was Africa and all, it would makes sense if Bono was thinking along the lines of Heartland?

Heartland could/would be just as phenomenal as Zooropa or Acrobat. Any of those 3 would be more than I could've hoped for.

regarding the Cape Town rehearsals, Willie says:

The band came in and got straight into the new/old song. It felt really good to watch them play something from off the beaten track, so hopefully it will develop and make it into the show at some point. I’m not holding my breath, but it’s not out of the question. At least I got to hear it.

This X infinity

Can anyone tell me why adding the following four songs wouldn't work -even if it meant taking out all the goopy slow/acoustic numbers?

Zooropa
Ultraviolet (back)
Heartland
Acrobat

Zooropa - That would work so well with The Claw and it's futuristic references.

Ultraviolet - Even if it was played in all 2009 shows, it's been underplayed, and still one of the highlights of the show. Why not let the HMTMKMKM/UV combo from Horsens II come back [I've stated this a million times in the past] :lol:.

Heartland - Love that song..that would work great in the IALW / Miss Sarajevo spot.

Acrobat - Hmmm. Questionable. I'm not sure if the band can pull it off live.

I can definitely see this set list change for the future tour dates:

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
North Star/Mercy/other song in this rotational slot
Drowning Man
Heartland
COBL

then for the second encore:

Zooropa
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
WOWY
MOS

but who knows? I'm just pretty sure that the set list will be drastically different by the time they get back to the US.

Can anyone tell me why adding the following four songs wouldn't work -even if it meant taking out all the goopy slow/acoustic numbers?
but then they wouldn't be able to play a bunch of goopy slow/acoustic numbers :depressed: and then act surprised when the entire crowd stops jumping up and down. :sad:

I don't think there'll be that many changes for South America. Probably (hopefully!) a 'new' new song, or even two (and that will kill off the 'old' new songs like Mercy, North Star, EBW etc), but otherwise probably not too different to South Africa, NZ/Aus. The real shake up will be North America, where I think there could be a pretty decent overhaul. A few songs new to the tour, possibly several 'new' new, and probably even with those staples, just a shakeup in the running order.

Back
Top Bottom