Rolling Stone: U2 to play stadiums in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if they'll play at that 70,000-capacity stadium in Tampa where they sold a grand whopping 20,000 tickets during PopMart's third leg.

Stadiums are much better if only because the GA this time around will be massive out in an open field (as they were in Europe)...arenas last time meant a whopping 100 people get into the Vertigo inner circle and the same rich people go to every show and end up right at the front of the outer circle every damn time....will be much, much easier now to get the goods.

Whats wrong with getting reserved seating that is eye level to the stage? I know GA is fun and all but you can still have a great concert experience with side seats that are eye level with the band.

And I know many of you are talking about stadium shows back in the JT, Zoo, & even Popmart days but have any you been to these new state of art NFL stadiums? There practically over size arenas. Take a look at them:

Dallas Cowboys New Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reliant Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

University of Phoenix Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There has been nearly 30 new NFL & MLB stadiums opened since Popmart.

Yeah, the Dallas cowboys new stadium and the Reliant stadium are pretty massive. just from seeing them on the outside

My take on stadium versus arena.......

The biggest drawback to a stadium show no matter where you sit or stand is the sound. It will never be as good as even in the most acoustically challenged arena.

As for sightlines, I had seats in the 9th and 11th row near the ramp leading to the end stage respectively for two '97 Popmart shows (San Diego and LA) and it was still very tough to see the band because everyone stood on their rickety folding chairs the entire show and I'm nearly 6 feet tall. My wife who's about 5'5" was miserable especially at the LA show. For the '87 Joshua Tree tour, I caught several shows at the Sports Arena and the 2nd night at the LA Coluseum about dead center on the 50 yard line on the floor/field and the view and sound was pretty poor. By far my worst experience was Dodger Stadium for the '92 Halloween ZooTV tour show where a group of us had mid level seats about 2/3rds up and back and we were almost completely disconnected from the concert.

If this time around is GA floor, it might be alright being able to kind of jocky for a decent position without having to deal with people standing on folding chairs but if in the likely event it's all reserved seating, it's going to be a scalper's paradise and most floor seats will be astronomically priced on the secondary market.

T.B.

I'm not American, but ... stadiums rock.

Stadium concerts are the only chance you get reasonable tickets for U2.

But summer can't be true, they'll be touring Europe first.

Stadiums only, huh?

Markets in which U2's grosses have remained basically stagnant since the 90s:

~ Dallas
~ Houston (the 2005 show doesn't count because there was no Austin/San Antonio show)
~St. Louis (the 2005 show doesn't count because there was no Kansas City show)
~ Kansas City
~ Cleveland (the 2005 show doesn't count because there was no Columbus show)
~ Columbus
~ Milwaukee/Madison
~ Salt Lake City
~ Ames/Omaha

And there are plenty of other markets like Indianapolis, Memphis, New Orleans, Clemson/Columbia, Birmingham, Austin, San Antonio, Jacksonville, etc., where U2 don't play anymore because they are WEAK markets for them.

What the hell are they going to do if they want to hit these above listed markets? Or are they going to skip them? Because at the prices they're charging nowadays, they won't even be able to sell out ARENA shows (or just barely in some cities) in these areas.

If it's truly a stadium only tour, then it's going to be a short North American tour...

If it's truly a stadium only tour, then it's going to be a short North American tour...

I think 2009 will be U2 dipping their toe into the economic waters with a short stadium tour, and then 2010 may see more dates and possibly arenas.

I don't see them doing the fairly rigorous schedule of all of the Vertigo Tour arena shows again. I think this tour will be "see them while they're close to your city" for the fans and if it goes okay there may be more dates.

Anyone think that Australia will be this next Winter?

Mark

Bah. I'd prefer to be up close to the band AND able to soak in all of the atmosphere. It was great to be front row GA in Auckland and be 4 feet from Adam....but Bono, Edge, and Larry were 20-30 feet from us, and the "atmosphere" of the stadium experience was all behind us.

But yes, I'm happy to be able to see them again. This could explain why the presale seems to be occurring again---it'd be pretty easy to ensure tickets for members.

Where / what are the indicators of presales this tour?

Actually the thunder and rain does sound kinda cool:cute:

when i danced at tampa stadium during MW it started to rain on the line "Johnny take a dive, with your sister in the rain!" everyone told me it was really cool and united them together for that song. i became worried about slipping!! but

it was like bono lifted his arms up and said "let there be rain" and there was rain! :lmao: :lol: anyway, it was neat.

u2tours.com has a rumor that U2 were trying to play Wallace Stadium in Durham, NC (near Raleigh). I researched this stadium, and it's capacity seems to be around 33,000 for football games. However, between U2's schedule and that of Duke University football, they could not find a date that worked.

What's interesting about this is 2 things:

1. It shows U2 are looking into smaller stadiums for smaller metropolitan areas

2. This particular stadium is a horseshoe shape, with no seats on one side. Perfect for an endstage concert, but possibly awkward if U2 are planning on doing an "in-the-round" show.

imo, the answer is no for smaller stadiums everywhere. but the led screen wasn't the ONLY reason they cancelled in raleigh on popmart let's remember part of it was very low ticket sales. so i would guess they're shell shocked/shy from the raleigh popmart, and will try to make that and other smaller markets be in smaller stadiums. where as NY/LA etc are gonna be the larger 60,000 type stadiums.

I wonder if they'll play at that 70,000-capacity stadium in Tampa where they sold a grand whopping 20,000 tickets during PopMart's third leg.

they blew up the stadium they used on popmart didn't they. is it bigger now?

and 20,000 was bad in that stadium cuz it was something like 40,000 capacity if memory serves. however 20,000 fills an arena. they should do both. stadiums in large cities and arenas in smaller ones. that'd be nice!

Stadiums only, huh?

Markets in which U2's grosses have remained basically stagnant since the 90s:

~ Dallas
~ Houston (the 2005 show doesn't count because there was no Austin/San Antonio show)
~St. Louis (the 2005 show doesn't count because there was no Kansas City show)
~ Kansas City
~ Cleveland (the 2005 show doesn't count because there was no Columbus show)
~ Columbus
~ Milwaukee/Madison
~ Salt Lake City
~ Ames/Omaha

And there are plenty of other markets like Indianapolis, Memphis, New Orleans, Clemson/Columbia, Birmingham, Austin, San Antonio, Jacksonville, etc., where U2 don't play anymore because they are WEAK markets for them.

What the hell are they going to do if they want to hit these above listed markets? Or are they going to skip them? Because at the prices they're charging nowadays, they won't even be able to sell out ARENA shows (or just barely in some cities) in these areas.

agreed.

and i think that we'll see shows in a larger market like miami, but none in the smaller areas like jaxville or tampa. it could be they skip NC and just do atlanta and DC/Charlottesville. Dallas and not Austin/Houston/San Antonio etc. LA but not San Diego.

Austin could easily sell out an arena. Not a stadium, but easily an arena... they did it easily in 2001, and U2 are very well-known and well-received in the area.

Slightly more details on the tour:

Just the 2 of U - The Irish Times - Fri, Feb 27, 2009

ON THE UPCOMING TOUR: “WE WANT TO HAVE A SIGNIFICANT PERCENTAGE OF CHEAP TICKETS”

After the album, a two-to-three year Horizon world tour will follow, and this is now a huge part of the band’s creative work and business. If you had gone to see the band play on their Joshua Tree tour, the ticket price would have been less than the price of the album. In a radically restructured music industry, the ticket prices for the Horizon tour will be between 10 to 15 times the price of an album.

Recognising the importance of live performance in the modern music industry, two years ago U2 signed a reported £100 million 12-year deal with the world’s biggest concert promoter, Live Nation. This will be the first tour under that arrangement.

The nature of the Horizon tour remains a closely guarded secret. “We haven’t announced any of this yet, so I’m not sure you can use this, but I’ve been working on this engineering idea for the last seven to eight years,” says the singer.

“It’s all to do with how you can play outdoors without using a proscenium stage with a big bank of speakers on the left and right. Every outdoor show you’ve ever seen has that. So at the moment we’re just trying to get the design architecture right – and the financial architecture. If we can get away with what we want to do, it will mean more people in the venue, better sightlines and everyone will be closer to the action. We want to have a significant percentage of cheap tickets. In this climate you have to give better value.”

agreed.

and i think that we'll see shows in a larger market like miami, but none in the smaller areas like jaxville or tampa. it could be they skip NC and just do atlanta and DC/Charlottesville. Dallas and not Austin/Houston/San Antonio etc. LA but not San Diego.

would be crazy for them to play one show in texas only in dallas. they should play dallas + houston or san antonio but not one.

one show in texas would be underselling that market big time.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but wouldn't it be impossible for them to book dates in US football stadiums until the NFL schedule comes out in April. Just a thought

Slightly more details on the tour:

Just the 2 of U - The Irish Times - Fri, Feb 27, 2009

ON THE UPCOMING TOUR: “WE WANT TO HAVE A SIGNIFICANT PERCENTAGE OF CHEAP TICKETS”

After the album, a two-to-three year Horizon world tour will follow, and this is now a huge part of the band’s creative work and business. If you had gone to see the band play on their Joshua Tree tour, the ticket price would have been less than the price of the album. In a radically restructured music industry, the ticket prices for the Horizon tour will be between 10 to 15 times the price of an album.

Recognising the importance of live performance in the modern music industry, two years ago U2 signed a reported £100 million 12-year deal with the world’s biggest concert promoter, Live Nation. This will be the first tour under that arrangement.

The nature of the Horizon tour remains a closely guarded secret. “We haven’t announced any of this yet, so I’m not sure you can use this, but I’ve been working on this engineering idea for the last seven to eight years,” says the singer.

“It’s all to do with how you can play outdoors without using a proscenium stage with a big bank of speakers on the left and right. Every outdoor show you’ve ever seen has that. So at the moment we’re just trying to get the design architecture right – and the financial architecture. If we can get away with what we want to do, it will mean more people in the venue, better sightlines and everyone will be closer to the action. We want to have a significant percentage of cheap tickets. In this climate you have to give better value.”

Interesting. So he's saying that U2 will lower their ticket prices from what they were on the Vertigo tour. However, 10-15x the price of No Line On The Horizon = $100-$150. But even if they lower their average price to say, $75, they'd still struggle to sell 25,000 tix in ANY of the Midwestern and Southern US markets I mentioned in my previous post.

Can you say PopMart?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but wouldn't it be impossible for them to book dates in US football stadiums until the NFL schedule comes out in April. Just a thought

They just have to schedule around Thursday, Sunday, & Monday. I'm sure they have access to the NFL schedule (at least the dates, times wouldn't matter). All the NFL teams know who there playing already and the dates are usually announced around April/May. The NFL already has this info.

For TX dates U2 might be able to play San Antonio/Austin show. Its a lock they'll have a Houston show & a show at Jerry World (new Cowboy stadium).

Any chance U2 would have $40-$50 seats? To me this would get people to the show and show good press for the band.

Upper Upper Level $35
Upper Level $50
Mid-Level $75
Close to stage/special seating $125

i meant they might do 2 shows in dallas/larger markets and no shows in smaller markets. they prob would do houston and dallas cuz those are huge markets. but they could just do multiple nights in the big cities like dallas la chicago ny.

Back
Top Bottom