How much Politics will be in the show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NamelessStreets

The Fly
Hearing the new album, there are certain lyrics that suggest that the album is about music alone. "Dont want to talk about wars between nations", "Let me in the sound" and so on. I hope that the tour will be the same, some may dis-agree, but I thought the vertigo tour was just too much. They went way overboard with the political side of things, and felt like it was being rammed down my throat. I hated the African start to Streets, got to be the worst start to Streets ever. Dont get me wrong, I had a great time, I just hope they leave it alone a little this time.

I've got to believe there will be some Obama-love spreading at the shows, especially Chicago.

I think Bono walked a tight line with Bush in the WH, but don't think he'll hide his (and the world's) happiness with Obama.

Mark---I don't hide mine. LOVE the Obamas.:heart:

I think there will be more of a human rights focus this time, just going by the equals on the album. There was a small bit about it on vertigo, so its quite likely.

I really hope we're not getting 5 minute One speeches. I can stand a little politics, but last tour was really too much.

I think a lot of the speeches last time was because they toured around the G8 summit being in the news and had the live8 concert that year too at the same time, and Bono of course was going to take advantage of that in the concerts.. so I don't think he will be as vocal about it this time as long as there is no big political stuff in the news, at the moment its all about global recession so I guess seeing everyone everywhere is claiming to be having hard times he can't go on too much surely

The politics are in the Lyrics of the songs, leave it that way. No need for speeches. Ok, put a pic of MLK up at the end of Pride, thats fine, but dont start asking me to send bloody text messages to George Dubya, or who ever it was.

I read somewhere during the last tour, Bono started clicking his fingers during a speech, and said every time he clicked an African child died. And someone from the crowd shouted "stop fucking clicking then!" Anyone else hear this??

I think you are right also that due to the global reccession, there is less focos on campaigns such as the G8 summit and so on.

I read somewhere during the last tour, Bono started clicking his fingers during a speech, and said every time he clicked an African child died. And someone from the crowd shouted "stop fucking clicking then!" Anyone else hear this??

i heard that on the last tour a chicken crossed a road to get to the other side.

I've got to believe there will be some Obama-love spreading at the shows, especially Chicago.

I had such high hopes that they would finally retire Pride for a tour but I now fear that there is no chance in light of Obama getting elected.

Hearing the new album, there are certain lyrics that suggest that the album is about music alone. "Dont want to talk about wars between nations", "Let me in the sound" and so on. I hope that the tour will be the same, some may dis-agree, but I thought the vertigo tour was just too much. They went way overboard with the political side of things, and felt like it was being rammed down my throat. I hated the African start to Streets, got to be the worst start to Streets ever. Dont get me wrong, I had a great time, I just hope they leave it alone a little this time.

Are you new to U2?

the politics actually gave Vertigo some sort of theme
set it apart from Elevation
I honestly didn't mind it that much :shrug:

but I don't think we'll get a repeat of that this time
so I reckon less political speeches

I agree, the songs speak of politics and religion enough for me. I didnt mind the African intro to streets, and always love seeing MLK on the screen but I could use some more Rockin out. I think we will actually see Bono dance more than talk this go around. HAHA and I cant wait to see it:applaud:

i heard that on the last tour a chicken crossed a road to get to the other side.
:lmao:
I'm guessing that, while there will still be SOME politics (remember, this is a U2 show we're talking about,) politics won't be nearly as prominent on U2 360 as they were on Vertigo, mainly because HUTDAB was more political than NLOTH.

I hope not... speeches are annoying, but somewhat tolerable... 80s-style rants, however, I really don't like. Politics vastly oversimplify the world.

I'm not saying I want U2360 to be an Obama-lovefest.
But come on, America elects its first Black president, U2 plays at the inauguration, and Bono won't say something about it on tour?

Mark---honestly, when I read this thread's title, my first though was...about 750 liters.:lol:

I'm not saying I want U2360 to be an Obama-lovefest.
But come on, America elects its first Black president, U2 plays at the inauguration, and Bono won't say something about it on tour?

Mark---honestly, when I read this thread's title, my first though was...about 750 liters.:lol:

Actually, yeah, I could see Bono mentioning "MLK's dream and how it relates to America electing a African American president and Obama's dad was FROM Africa, AND Africa needs our help so the people of that continent can live more dignified lives, or to put it another way, lives filled with....PRIDE! (cue Edge)"

or something. I doubt Bono's gonna just be like "oh, you know that Barack Obama? He's great." :D

No idea what to expect on this topic, but I will say we could actually see more of the politics: as the world crawls further into an economic hole, it becomes harder and harder to get aid to Africa and other nations -- methinks we could be reminded of that.

If there are to be speeches and personal thoughts, I would love to hear the B-Man open up a bit more about their spirituality -- read the lyrics and it seems like U2 is more comfortable siinging about their faith -- so let's hear five minutes on that topic (-:

Back
Top Bottom