The Android Invasion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mine is not quite as good as my 2007 iPhone

but, I think I may be using it for more stuff, with the 4G lte service,

I am still pretty happy with mine, if I start using it more I may buy a second battery, to make sure I can get through a 24 hour day.

One of the best features is the microSD card. I hope your phone came with that feature. That feather alone makes it better than any iPhone ever, and the Nexus phone, too.

i'm running liquid smooth v1.25, an ICS 4.04 based rom on my nexus these days... with updated kernels and radios and all that stuff, along with an extended battery. lasts all day on a single charge with moderate use.

Screenshot_2012-04-12-12-02-43.png

Instagram's picture filters are fun to play with but they are not worth the $1 billion that Facebook paid.

This app is pure business brilliance with just two years of hard work from the founders, and only weeks from about 3 of the 13 employees.

hardly brilliant or hard work

I am sure there are dozens of little start ups doing similar things

this only works because people believe they, themselves are fascinating and their friends want to see this altered images, how long will you or anyone care? could be awhile, there are a lot of people that spend a whole lot of time in front of a mirror looking at themselves

good (or not) for them, for cashing in, one billion, for what? if it did not exist would it even matter.

FB better go public soon, the valuation will be completely stupid, buy stock? where is the value? Yahoo and AOL were king of the world in their day, truth be told, they were better and offered more than these two.
Groupon seems to be collapsing on the weigh of it's own silly and valueless concept.

Surely Instagram has its value that it is not obviously present right now, Facebook projected its future growth and expansion and therefore bought it for one billion in order to eradicate a potential competitor and expand the development that the application was creating in social media websites.

I do support your viewpoint regarding that the application can be seen as a useless, stupid little program that will soon be forgotten 2 to 3 years from now when similar new apps are created.

Seeing these kinds of cases in the tech industry is rare, but it does bring an interesting insight and pathway of making millions in a short amount of time.

have i mentioned how much i love my galaxy s2? cuz i do. :drool: i didn't think i'd be able to get used to all-touch screen and would hate not having a physical keyboard (i'm old) but thanks to swype, which i also didn't know if i'd get the hang of, i love it. i type with swype faster than i did with the physical qwerty keyboard.

Things are getting exciting on the phone front again - Google is selling the GSM Galaxy Nexus direct and unlocked (with all AT&T and T-Mo data bands) for $399 from Google Play, w/no contract commitments.

However I am seriously considering picking up the HTC One S, which has been getting rave reviews, from T-Mobile this week...I am almost at the end of my contract but they are having a trade-in deal - bring in any old Android, Blackberry or later version Windows or Symbian phone and get a $100 rebate guaranteed on a new smartphone - $200 back if trading in any old iPhone. So I should be able to get close to full upgrade price now rather than waiting til July. I am holding on to my G2 but have an old Cliq lying around that I will trade in. :D

Yeah I'm seriously considering picking up the Nexus and going with a cheap Airfire or Boost plan.

Yeah I'm seriously considering picking up the Nexus and going with a cheap Airfire or Boost plan.

i wish google would have offered the G-Nex straight up right from the start... i would have dumped verizon and done the same.

not that i'm unhappy with the phone or verizon's service... just their prices.

plus i'm going to europe for 2 weeks in september, and a GSM nexus would really have been a nice thing to have.

my biggest complaint is simply the voice minutes... the lowest they have is 450. i don't use half of that in a month, but they give me no real options. they used to have a pay by minute plan, but they've gotten rid of that.

So I've had my One S for two weeks now and I am loving it - this baby FLIES. Camera is pretty great too, photos and video - took some video at a concert and it did not choke on the audio, too bad there are no U2 shows right now for me to stream. :) It's a pretty thing too... Glad I did not wait for the SGS3 - it would be too big for me, plus I don't like the look of TouchWiz.

i wish google would have offered the G-Nex straight up right from the start... i would have dumped verizon and done the same.

not that i'm unhappy with the phone or verizon's service... just their prices.

plus i'm going to europe for 2 weeks in september, and a GSM nexus would really have been a nice thing to have.

my biggest complaint is simply the voice minutes... the lowest they have is 450. i don't use half of that in a month, but they give me no real options. they used to have a pay by minute plan, but they've gotten rid of that.

yeah, true. how do you like the phone? i am between buying the unlocked GNex or going with the HTC Evo 3d that is coming to Virgin Mobile. the only downfall to getting the GNex is that i wouldn't have 4g. it looks like the only prepaid carrier that i can bring my own phone to in my area is Airfire Mobile.

so basically, i'm trying to decide if there's THAT much of a difference between the GNex and HTC Evo 3d to sacrifice 4G speed and possibly go to a less reliable prepaid carrier. one thing that's weighing on my decision as well is the fact that I use Wifi about 80% of the time anyway.

yeah, i think i finally made the decision to stick with Virgin Mobile and purchase the HTC Evo 3d. you just can't beat $35/mo and excellent reception. plus, the development for the Evo 3d looks awesome. i really enjoy flashing different ROM's, so this phone looks like it will fit my needs.

yeah, true. how do you like the phone? i am between buying the unlocked GNex or going with the HTC Evo 3d that is coming to Virgin Mobile. the only downfall to getting the GNex is that i wouldn't have 4g. it looks like the only prepaid carrier that i can bring my own phone to in my area is Airfire Mobile.

so basically, i'm trying to decide if there's THAT much of a difference between the GNex and HTC Evo 3d to sacrifice 4G speed and possibly go to a less reliable prepaid carrier. one thing that's weighing on my decision as well is the fact that I use Wifi about 80% of the time anyway.

i love 4G so i wouldn't give that up for any phone...

but i love the GNex. best phone i've ever had. the lack of stock updates from verizon doesn't bother me because i just root anyways... and the community has been great in putting out terrific stuff for the GNex. the feel, design and look of the phone is great.

one thing that i am bothered with is the google play policy that people are just discovering... where you can have 10 devices activated at one time, but only allowed 4 devices to be deactivated per year...

so if you root, every time you install new software you take up one device. so if you get the phone stock, that's one... then upgrade your ROM 5 times... that's 6, etc. etc.

which, hey... that's fine. but if you have multiple android devices, or you break your phone and get a replacement... or if you upgrade midyear... you could easily run into the problem where you can no longer deactivate any more devices and can't add anything, denying your phone or tablet from accessing your google play account.

certainly not a problem for everyone... but considering how big the developer community is with android you would think google would be a little more lenient with that policy.

Thanks Headache. Yeah, 4G was a deciding factor for me as well. My Spotify streaming will be thankful for sure.

one thing that i am bothered with is the google play policy that people are just discovering... where you can have 10 devices activated at one time, but only allowed 4 devices to be deactivated per year...

so if you root, every time you install new software you take up one device. so if you get the phone stock, that's one... then upgrade your ROM 5 times... that's 6, etc. etc.

which, hey... that's fine. but if you have multiple android devices, or you break your phone and get a replacement... or if you upgrade midyear... you could easily run into the problem where you can no longer deactivate any more devices and can't add anything, denying your phone or tablet from accessing your google play account.

certainly not a problem for everyone... but considering how big the developer community is with android you would think google would be a little more lenient with that policy.

and this is why i love google... they've already addressed the problem.

Yesterday we made a change to our device policy for music on Google Play. Any user can associate up to 10 devices to his or her account. Once you have connected 10 devices, you may add a new device only by deauthorizing an existing one from your account, and you may do this up to four times per year.

We limit the number of times you can swap out new devices at the request of some of our music partners in an effort to limit abuse. We understand this has caused some issues for users who often deauthorize and reauthorize the same device, and we are currently re-implementing the solution in a way that works for our users and music partners.

We apologize for any inconvenience and will update this page as new changes are made.

That's a load of presumptuous blogging bull crap.

Verizon never said that all grandfathered plans will be canceled. They've said that they want to move people to shared data plans on new subscriptions.

If you have one phone on one plan, they've said nothing about you no longer keeping your grandfathered unlimited plan.

Doesn't mean they won't change it... just means that they haven't said that yet, despite what every blog has jumped to the conclusion of.

Well, my phone is "water damaged" so my warranty is out the window. Time to finally root it. This is so exciting.

man, i'm way to wishy washy on this decision. i need your final opinions:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus Unlocked on Straight Talk unlimited - $399 for phone, $45/mo

HTC Evo 3D on Virgin Mobile Wimax 4g network - $299 for phone, $35/mo for 300 minutes, unlimited texts and data

Thanks!

I don't own the galaxy nexus. I have the galaxy s 2. I know several people who like the phone. I believe headache has the galaxy nexus.

Yeah I know headache loves his. My only concern is with Straight Talk. I heard they are a little shady.wish Tmobile was available in my area.

Back
Top Bottom