Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad you mentioned that scene, because it displays my biggest issue with the film. At no point during that confrontation do we get to see Cleo’s face, her reaction to his cruelty. I don’t know if Cuarón didn’t have faith in his actress to show the necessary emotions, whether he shot a reaction and didn’t use it, or if he was making an aesthetic decision. Either way, it doesn’t work, and misses an opportunity to connect us better to what is a thinly-written character. And because of this, what is intended to be the climactic emotional moment,
Cleo on the beach confessing to the family that she didn’t want the baby,
feels hollow and unearned. Because she never talked about those feelings before, nor did we get the non-verbal impressions that would have tuned us into them.

Now I realize a lot of people were still really affected by that big scene, but I think it’s just because they are easily manipulated by cheap sentiment and this kind of device (i.e. a dead child, which Cuarón also employed in the equally-overrated Gravity). The work of the actual writing just wasn’t done, and you don’t have an actress experienced enough to overcome that deficiency.
What do you think of Cuarón in general? I've really only seen his most recent four films, and while I enjoyed all four I found all but Children of Men wildly overrated. The # of academy award noms Roma and Gravity racked up baffles me.

I once watched Bone Tomahawk while half asleep and was jolted awake at a few (in)appropriate moments. I think I'm still calming down from it.

If Free Solo wins best documentary tonight (and I think it will) I'm going to be so disappointed.

Positives:

-Spike finally won something
-Olivia Colman upset was awesome
-Spider-Verse won
-First Man wasn't entirely snubbed
-Shallow performance was very sweet
-Bohemian Rhapsody didn't win best picture
-It was over quickly

Let's try to do better next year though.

Has anyone else signed up for the new "Criterion Channel" streaming site? It's not going live for another couple months, but they're dumping out 1 or 2 free movies a week to anyone who pre-subscribes, along with a couple bonus features. It's been fun so far.

Sure, but I don't like how any new Marvel release seems to squeeze out any other new releases for that week.

Jordan Peele's US is the best movie I've seen in the theater in many months. Brilliant doppelganger horror. I'll be kept up tonight scared that the shadow version of myself is gonna come kill me.

Has anyone tried the new Criterion Channel streaming service? I'm so so happy it exists. There are still some kinks to work around, but the catalog is great and unique after Filmstruck's demise. Their curating programmes are also fantastic - it's great to have a bunch of Agnès Varda's films to check out this week after her passing, for example.

Let's start the discussion with why didn't you post it in the Star Wars thread. :wink:

Should we infer from the subtitle that Rey is in fact a Skywalker??

Gump, does the Criterion Channel have subtitles? I've heard that this aspect of the service can be inconsistent. Also, I've read that there's no rewind or fast forward.

Gump, does the Criterion Channel have subtitles? I've heard that this aspect of the service can be inconsistent. Also, I've read that there's no rewind or fast forward.

It only has English subtitles so far (I think they added this a couple of days ago). The technical flaws vary depending on how you are streaming (Roku, Amazon Fire, etc). I’m basically connecting an HDMI cable from my Mac to my TV and it works fine (I don’t have a new AppleTV so cannot download the app, and they don’t have a PS4 app yet). They will keep improving the apps/service for sure, but clearly did not want to delay the launch.

Not sure about fast forwarding / rewind. You can certainly go back and forth like a YouTube video. Do you mean playing the movie at 2x, 4x or 8x speed? That you cannot do.

Anyways, I’m enjoying it a lot. Have watched a few of their Columbia Noir series (The Burglar and So Dark the Night) as well as Cleo from 5 to 7 (so good).

Someone in reddit made a list of all the available movies in case you want to check it out: http://tcclibrary.com/

Re: AppleTV, I thought I had read somewhere that the app was going to be available on the older models as well. Is this not the case?

I have the 3rd generation model (the one right before the redesign).

Re: AppleTV, I thought I had read somewhere that the app was going to be available on the older models as well. Is this not the case?

I have the 3rd generation model (the one right before the redesign).

Same here. It only works on the newer models unfortunately. It’s a shame.

Yeah, it’s annoying, but I’m hoping they will improve these options soon. Still, you can’t beat having access to that collection for 10 dollars a month.

Ugh. Looks like I'll be lugging out my computer every time I want to watch something on my projector.

I forgot to mention that you can use AirPlay with older AppleTVs. But for me it required leaving the phone or iPad on otherwise the streaming stopped.

Back
Top Bottom