Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The film of the year is MAMMA MIA!: HERE WE GO AGAIN and the performance of the year is Lily James in that self-same film.

I love discovering Scorsese obscurities (After Hours, King of Comedy) as they often end up being favorites of mine. Tonight, Bringing Out the Dead joined that list. Such a dingy and hopeless film, but it has an all-encompassing empathy for the human condition. Easily one of the best Nic Cage performances I've seen and it has one of those classic Scorsese soundtracks.

Last edited:
T.B. Sheets by Van Morrison.

It’s def minor Scorsese, and doesn’t stand out much in the great movie year of 1999, but it’s a nice modest palette cleanser in the middle of his much more ambitious productions of the 90s and the 2000s. He hasn’t really made a “small” narrative feature since.

Curious to see what the response on here was to Mother!

I don’t remember there being any discussion about it when it came out. I watched it last night and was pleasantly surprised. It certainly was not what I was expecting, thats for sure.

My boyfriend dragged me to it because he was under the impression it was going to be a psychological horror movie or something other than a pretentious dumpster fire. I’m sure there’s an Aronofsky fan in here who will disagree with my admitted film ignorance, but I generally hate movies that try that spend their entire run time yelling “look how smart and edgy I am with my plotless movie you won’t totally get, it’s a metaphor! It’s art!” It’s like 90% close ups of Jennifer Lawrence reacting (with basically only two different facial expressions) to the absurd shit happening around her, that escalates like it’s deliberately playing a game of “you weren’t freaked out by that, how bout this?” I’m not impressed because I’m not 12, same reason I don’t listen to Death Grips basically.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I really conveyed how bad I am at watching movies though. I fell asleep during both Rogue One and TFA and I actually liked those.

Hell, I had mother! in my top 5 for last year.

I remember Laz liking the film a lot too but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Last edited:
I mean, once I got over the pretentious approach and some of the ham-fisted ways the overall theme was delivered it actually exceeded my expectations.

I really enjoyed
the biblical parallels of Bardem as "God" and Lawrence as "Mother Earth" and all the chaos that ensues by his indulgence of human-kind into their "paradise" and how quickly they completely destroy it. As someone who share's Aronofsky's obvious disdain for the human race and its treatment of our environment I really apricated that he didn't sugar-coat anything or give us any kind of happy ending.

RIP. Burt was one of my favorite actors when I was in my teens and watching Smokey and the Bandit way too often.

Last edited:
Imagine the career he'd have had if he didn't turn down the roles of Han Solo, Randall P. McMurtry, John McClain, Garrett Breedlove and Gere's character in Pretty Woman.

You might have to put one of your legs in plaster, if you get my meaning.

Picking up my son from his 7th grade dance a year and a half ago, I asked him how it went and he told me he "danced all night with Grace Kelley" (I since found out she spells it with the added e).
I replied, "Is she a princess"? It went over his 13 year old head as expected, but sadly also went over my wife's head.
In August when were in Hollywood came across Grace Kelly's star and had him text a picture of it to his Grace Kelley back home.

The girl is very cute and clearly interested in him but his 14 year old video game obsessed brain hasn't figured that part out yet much as try to nudge him in that direction.

Well that is incredibly sweet. And also adorably naive.

Grace Kelly, the actress', story always fascinated me. Who knows what her actual perception of her life was, obviously, but to an outside observer, she lived this crazy life of being both in Hollywood and then the plot of a hundred Hollywood films by becoming a legitimate princess.

On the other hand, she died so young :\

Last edited:
Man, just looking at wiki, I forgot they made a movie about her a few years ago and it was apparently just dog shit. How do you fuck that story up?

Picking up my son from his 7th grade dance a year and a half ago, I asked him how it went and he told me he "danced all night with Grace Kelley" (I since found out she spells it with the added e).
I replied, "Is she a princess"? It went over his 13 year old head as expected, but sadly also went over my wife's head.
In August when were in Hollywood came across Grace Kelly's star and had him text a picture of it to his Grace Kelley back home.

The girl is very cute and clearly interested in him but his 14 year old video game obsessed brain hasn't figured that part out yet much as try to nudge him in that direction.

:heart: :cute:

Yeah it was amazing. I think it will get even better on rewatch.

My only quibble was that the James Franco segment should have been just a little longer.

Just saw The Hate U Give at the second-run theater. I gotta say, I'm really loving this current trend of adapting YA novels with decent films that can appeal to both the YA audience and adults as well. This, Love, Simon, The Fault in Our Stars and a few others come to mind. I'm sure for every one good example, there are about 5 dull, lifeless films, but that's not terrible.

Back
Top Bottom