24 - Day 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also considering all of this season was probably filmed far before they knew it was the last season, it's not as if they can just change the plot.

speaking of that,
at to my list of complaints

why is an Indian actor playing an Arab head of state?

Gee, I dont know, maybe he is acting.
Do you have the same reservations about British actor (of Indian descent) Naveen Andrews playing Iraqi Sayid Jarrah on "Lost"?

How about American Robert Downey Jr. playing Brit Sherlock Holmes?

How about American Madonna playing British Madonna?

Also considering all of this season was probably filmed far before they knew it was the last season, it's not as if they can just change the plot.

I thought the episodes were filmed as the season went along, a couple weeks in advance of airing (ie the last few episodes would be filmed over the next few weeks)? I may be mistaken but I thought that was so they could figure out what people did and didn't like and adjust the plot accordingly. :shrug:

I thought the episodes were filmed as the season went along, a couple weeks in advance of airing (ie the last few episodes would be filmed over the next few weeks)? I may be mistaken but I thought that was so they could figure out what people did and didn't like and adjust the plot accordingly. :shrug:

The bulk of the episodes are likely in the can by now. Since this series starts in January, they likely did a lot of shooting from September on. That's not to say that they're completely done, but, I'd wager that they'e quite close.

And, typically, you don't just start changing things in the middle of a season because of what people do or do not like, especially the plot. Not on network TV.

And, typically, you don't just start changing things in the middle of a season because of what people do or do not like, especially the plot. Not on network TV.

I really have no idea, it's only what I've heard. I think that was mentioned to me as a reason why season six started off so awesomely then went completely off the rails halfway through.

I really have no idea, it's only what I've heard. I think that was mentioned to me as a reason why season six started off so awesomely then went completely off the rails halfway through.

I honestly cannot gauge just how much you do or do not know, I'm just factually replying to your post.

DaveC, I'm not arguing against the Wire, but had they handled much of the material without pandering to the lowest common denominator this show can be extremely topical and the format is without a doubt the most thrilling concept ever to hit TV, and at its best (1-3, ~7,8) features excellent character drama.

I think the producers should work on a spinoff series, make it for less money, send the major characters into the film franchise. I don't want to see this disappear :(.

I had no idea this was 2 hours tonight...I completely missed the 1st hour and it seems it was a key hour...:angry: I have no idea what is going on...grrrrrr

President Taylor is infuriating.

I should elaborate.

What really grinds my gears here is that she almost seemed pissed off that the bomb didn't go off and 100,000+ people were killed when she found out Hassan had given himself up. She's more preoccupied with her precious "peace deal" which is apparently worth the lives of thousands upon thousands of New Yorkers who presumably elected her. The fundamental role of government is to protect its citizens (I think the Chief of Staff guy said that at exact line at one point). She was willing to sacrifice the lives of all these people and make New York City completely unlivable for generations for the sake of Hassan's life and, one can assume, the lives of IRK citizens. Not to mention the fact that if Manhattan were suddenly vaporized it would instantly and fatally cripple the US economy and thus destroy the entire country. But she doesn't give a flying rat's ass about any of this. Instead she simply says "no" and stands next to a window waiting patiently for the bomb to blow up. Any reasonable world leader with half a brain, presented with the choice Taylor was given (Hassan or Manhattan) would hand Hassan over in a heartbeat. The wisest choice of action was the one the Chief of Staff and the General came up with, and I'm also a bit annoyed that they portrayed them as the bad guys (what with the ominous music and the leaving a man to die bit).

Not to mention the fact that the President of the United States physically assaulted her Chief of Staff when he refused to give her a direct answer to a question.

:banghead:

I won't even get into the Jenny/Dana bit from this episode. The first hour was absolutely dreadful. Thank God those last fifteen minutes or so of hour two were awesome.

:up:

I agree to bad Palmer is dead :(

I should elaborate.

What really grinds my gears here is that she almost seemed pissed off that the bomb didn't go off and 100,000+ people were killed when she found out Hassan had given himself up. She's more preoccupied with her precious "peace deal" which is apparently worth the lives of thousands upon thousands of New Yorkers who presumably elected her. The fundamental role of government is to protect its citizens (I think the Chief of Staff guy said that at exact line at one point). She was willing to sacrifice the lives of all these people and make New York City completely unlivable for generations for the sake of Hassan's life and, one can assume, the lives of IRK citizens. Not to mention the fact that if Manhattan were suddenly vaporized it would instantly and fatally cripple the US economy and thus destroy the entire country. But she doesn't give a flying rat's ass about any of this. Instead she simply says "no" and stands next to a window waiting patiently for the bomb to blow up. Any reasonable world leader with half a brain, presented with the choice Taylor was given (Hassan or Manhattan) would hand Hassan over in a heartbeat. The wisest choice of action was the one the Chief of Staff and the General came up with, and I'm also a bit annoyed that they portrayed them as the bad guys (what with the ominous music and the leaving a man to die bit).

Not to mention the fact that the President of the United States physically assaulted her Chief of Staff when he refused to give her a direct answer to a question.

I won't even get into the Jenny/Dana bit from this episode. The first hour was absolutely dreadful. Thank God those last fifteen minutes or so of hour two were awesome.

I should elaborate.

Agreed but I didn't let it interfere with my enjoyment of the show.

And besides, there's no way she would survive (politically or otherwise] long enough to sign the treaty if the story behind it ever got out.

Didn't someone scoff when I suggested at the beginning of this season there would be a mole inside CTU? *coughMartycough* :wink:

that's nothing new

Bill Clinton beat the hell out of Hillary when he was President.
(or was it the other way around?)

I should elaborate.

I disagree with your view on this. Though this series does show that there's more than 1 side to various subjects, which brings out interesting dillemas.
I mean, should a president give in to demands of terrorists? And give up a head of state to them? What will happen when that comes out (not if, when)? Will it provoke further attacks from Hassan's nation? Or nations friendly with Hassan's? And what kind of precedent does this set? Because then the president of the USA will never be safe anywhere when they're visiting a foreign state. The next time the government of that country may decide to turn over the president of the USA to a group of terrorists for whatever their demands are.

And what would turning over Hassan accomplish? The terrorists might still have the bomb go off, getting everything. Or they may not give up their bomb, but only take Hassan (by which they also get everything). Or they may never had the intention to use the bomb.
Yes, we saw in the episode that the terrorists did give the bomb back in return. But the alternative scenarios were just as likely, if not more.

So what is a wise decision? Is it just about Hassan's life and part of Manhattan, or is there's also a bigger picture?

This just in:

The fundamental role of Network Television is to entertain, not to reflect reality. If it can do both, great, but that's rare.

If you're on Day 8 and frustrated by the lack of realism in 24, something's wrong.

The show is bat-shit crazy and I just go along for the ride, mostly because it's so fucking insane.

Just caught up last night.
Pretty good couple of hours.
Best part was Jack grabbing DanaJennyArabMole by the throat and calling her "you little bitch" while she towered over him by 4 or 5 inches. :wink:

The car switch was ridiculously fast as phanan pointed out, especially since Hassan was handcuffed to the SUV, so Tarin would not have been able to just pull up to his terrorist playmates and boot Omar out the door to them.

The car switch was ridiculously fast as phanan pointed out, especially since Hassan was handcuffed to the SUV, so Tarin would not have been able to just pull up to his terrorist playmates and boot Omar out the door to them.

I think that the car switch occurred when Tarin first went into the parking garage (and Jack was driving to the exit on the other street). There would've been some time to stop and make the switch.
Afterwards the SUV was never long enough out of Jack's sight, but in those moments it was possible.

Yep, and should we start taking bets now on who will be revealed as a mole within CTU?
I don't think there'll be no mole within CTU this time. They have the inadequate employee (Dana). Just as bad. :)
Fine. I was going to bet you a sprite. :wink:
Deal! If there's a mole inside CTU (and not Dana being forced by whoever to do something stupid) then I buy you a Sprite next time I see you. :D

So I guessed right. There was a Sprite involved.
And it turned out the inadequate employee was the mole (so either way CTU was f$%#$^). Unless she confesses something like it next week, I don't think Dana was really forced by anyone.
So yes, Julie, you were right in saying there was a mole within CTU. :)

Finally watched the "double episode" tonight. Sure, it had its fair share of silliness, but every episode of 24 I've ever seen has had that. I thought they were probably the two most exciting episodes this season, personally.

I loved the change in tone this week took, both filmmaking and storytelling, in spite of a bunch of elements we've seen in 24 before, these were far different from anything we've seen, and there's obviously more going on with the Jenny background than we thought (hopefully rescuing that reveal from painful cliche).

there's obviously more going on with the Jenny background than we thought (hopefully rescuing that reveal from painful cliche).

Yeah, with president Hassan now dead, nothing prevents Jack to now go medieval on her. He may have plenty of time, with no imminent threat to take care of.

I'm guessing we're gonna find out the Russian Government (or a rogue faction therein) was behind everything to derail the peace treaty. Gotta have something to fill 8 more hours.

I'm guessing we're gonna find out the Russian Government (or a rogue faction therein) was behind everything to derail the peace treaty. Gotta have something to fill 8 more hours.

I was thinking this, too, since the Russian ambassador popped up out of nowhere last episode.

Either that or Jack hops on an 8 hour flight to California to live with Kim and the grandkid.

So I guessed right. There was a Sprite involved.
And it turned out the inadequate employee was the mole (so either way CTU was f$%#$^). Unless she confesses something like it next week, I don't think Dana was really forced by anyone.
So yes, Julie, you were right in saying there was a mole within CTU. :)

:lol: You found it!

But your two negatives in 'I don't think there'll be no mole' actually means there would be a mole but since we ended up betting on it, I'll capitalize on that bet this summer. Perhaps Moscow! :yes: (if they have Sprite :hmm: }

Back
Top Bottom