US Politics XVIII: the illegitimate partisan sham thread - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #221
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,461
Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
While I do not count out the notion of an accidental shoot down at all, the speculation there is a bit much. Aircraft engine failure can absolutely take down an aircraft if the engine failure is catastrophic. If an engineer somehow manages to spontaneously explode, for example, and perhaps at 8000 feet the aircraft is in a roll because it’s still observing takeoff airspace, and that explosion damages flight control surfaces on the wing and renders it uncontrollable, the aircraft could easily roll into a stall and fall. It would be abnormal for a 737-800 for sure, which is an aircraft with a tremendous record. I haven’t looked up that particular aircraft’s age, but 737-800s aren’t always new anymore, and maintenance records are far more important than age honestly.

Anyways. Iran’s refusal to pass over the box to Boeing is more of a red flag here, but I don’t like the overreach of the author’s speculation.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates...tream-updates/
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #222
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,510
Local Time: 03:42 AM
We are going to see more and more of innocent lives lost the longer Trump stays in office.

Iran is to blame for the shooting down passenger plane (assuming it turns out to be true), but Trump started all of this.
__________________

BEAL is online now  
Old 01-09-2020, 04:38 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
To be fair, 80% of those searches came from Matt Gaetz's office
He probably tried to spell it 18 different ways before he stumbled upon the right one.
anitram is offline  
Old 01-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #224
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Orange Gzuz took credit for less cancer deaths today.

foad
BVS is offline  
Old 01-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #225
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,828
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
Yep most Canadians I think know trump lost by 3M votes for the popular vote and most are disgusted by that and by trump in general. Sadly we still have our share of hardcore trump supporters here.
Good to know you folks know, and most of us have been/are fed up with the Electoral College even more so now because hyper-gerrymandering has now often given Republicans advantages. Eh, sorry to hear you've got some Trumpetts in your midst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
We need to get this trending and make this a big rallying cry for the country at large. Demand that all Trump supporters out there be the ones signing up to fight, and the rest of us will stay out of it. Let them be the ones who have to suffer the consequences of the stupidity they voted for for once.

It'd be awesome if soldiers en masse said "Nope, we're not on board with this and we're not going over there." Would be hard to get a war going without anyone willing to actually go, after all. But I don't know how likely that is or if they can do that.

I co-sign the "Fuck you, Trump supporters" sentiment. You guys have officially lost any right or room to mention Obama, Hillary, or any future Democrat's policies and actions ever. The only thing I'd ever want to hear any Trump supporter say going forward is, "I'm sorry for being a complete and utter moron and voting for a shithead president, that was incredibly wrong of me." But of course, I'm not holding my breath on that ever happening, so since it won't, then I'd just prefer you guys not ever talk again at all.
I think under military law a soldier can refuse an order that they think is truly immoral, and out of "laws of war" bound. One reason i know this is because it became a major issue in a tv show i was watching. The writer/creator was careful about this stuff.

"get on your boots, yeah"

and add me as a co-signer.
dazzledbylight is offline  
Old 01-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #226
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,180
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post
I think under military law a soldier can refuse an order that they think is truly immoral, and out of "laws of war" bound. One reason i know this is because it became a major issue in a tv show i was watching.
My Netflix account would like to know which tv show we can take our 'laws of war' cues from.

I'm guessing you're not gonna say 'The Apprentice.'

Bluer White is offline  
Old 01-11-2020, 01:41 AM   #227
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 21,956
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post
I think under military law a soldier can refuse an order that they think is truly immoral, and out of "laws of war" bound.
this is correct. one reason i know this is because i was in the army and was told this exact thing many times: any soldier has the right to refuse any clearly illegal or immoral order at any time.

anyways, if a country tells your military to leave and you refuse to withdraw your troops, doesn't your army technically become an illegal occupying force? asking for a friend.
DaveC is offline  
Old 01-11-2020, 08:27 AM   #228
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 11:42 PM
Isn't everyone distraught that Marianne Williamson dropped out? Let's pause for a moment of meditative silent reflection. Trump can still be redeemed by our collective love power, I just know he can.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #229
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,828
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
My Netflix account would like to know which tv show we can take our 'laws of war' cues from.

I'm guessing you're not gonna say 'The Apprentice.'


Be careful who you snark at BW.

The show was a five year SF tv novel called Babylon 5 a Military Space Station created for diplomacy and commerce - that was created and mostly written by J Michael Stracynski (JMS). While various aspects of the crews military lives, decisions came up over the 5 years of episodes these particular eps; Season 3/eps 8,9,10 and Season 4/ep 20, highlight the conundrum of decisions the military command and support staff of the space station would have face regarding the 'laws of war'.

He was careful in his research, and a lot of military people thanked him for his portrayals and accuracy.

So, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
this is correct. one reason i know this is because i was in the army and was told this exact thing many times: any soldier has the right to refuse any clearly illegal or immoral order at any time.

anyways, if a country tells your military to leave and you refuse to withdraw your troops, doesn't your army technically become an illegal occupying force? asking for a friend.
Thanks for your RL info back up.
dazzledbylight is offline  
Old 01-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #230
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,180
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post

Be careful who you snark at BW.

The show was a five year SF tv novel called Babylon 5 a Military Space Station created for diplomacy and commerce - that was created and mostly written by J Michael Stracynski (JMS). While various aspects of the crews military lives, decisions came up over the 5 years of episodes these particular eps; Season 3/eps 8,9,10 and Season 4/ep 20, highlight the conundrum of decisions the military command and support staff of the space station would have face regarding the 'laws of war'.

He was careful in his research, and a lot of military people thanked him for his portrayals and accuracy.

So, yeah.
Ahhh, that's a good one

Always been partial to STTNG, myself. Same genre.
Bluer White is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #231
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 11:42 PM
Trump tweeted in Farsi. Since he can't even tweet in English that's quite an accomplishment.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #232
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,065
Local Time: 09:42 PM
Last night, the White House tweeted a picture of the White House with snow flurries in the forefront proclaiming “First snowfall of the year!”

It was 54 degrees and clear at the time.
mikal is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #233
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,443
Local Time: 11:42 PM
It did snow here on like Wednesday or Thursday. I bet it’s the approval process that he normally uses that held it up.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 01-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #234
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,461
Local Time: 11:42 PM
goodbye, Mr. Booker.

i always thought he would be a good candidate, and he was clearly among the top debaters in the field. i think, at the end of the day, his optimism and overall niceness came across as maybe too naive to convince voters that he could take on total amoral trash like Trump and win.

i also assume Rosario will be moving along soon as well.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #235
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 11:42 PM
I agree - smart guy but the "aw shucks" impression he gave off was the wrong thing at the wrong time in history.

Trump is going to savage whoever is the Democratic nominee because he's more base than a neanderthal, without a shred of dignity or class. There are two issues there. First, how the remaining (competitive) candidates stack up against him in a one-on-one scenario like the debates. I think that he'd just slaughter Biden, who is not a fast thinker, not quick on his feet and has a tendency to give up mid stream. I also just don't think he has the killer instinct or the rudeness within him to combat Trump on the spot. Bernie, I absolutely think would tell him where to go. Warren less so, but she's quick with quips so she could get a few jabs in. Buttigieg I also don't think has it, and he's seen his polling go down when he took on a sharper tack in the debates so I don't think that plays to his strengths. The other consideration is media coverage. They have always under-covered Bernie and continue to do so. We can't just ignore this, because Trump and every disgusting thing to leave his mouth will be shoved down our throats 24/7. I frankly don't see anyone on the Dem side who can conceivably win the media race, except maybe if Bloomberg says fuck it and blows his entire fortune on a paid media campaign.
anitram is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #236
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,461
Local Time: 11:42 PM
speaking of Bloomberg ... i realize this op-ed is basically a pitch to the moderates who read the Post (this is distinct from, say, deciding the entire WaPo is in on some anti-left conspiracy to destroy Bernie), but it does give focus and clarity about the actual usefulness of Bloomberg's inexhaustible resources:

Quote:
What people don’t yet seem to have grasped is this: Bloomberg is going to spend an astronomical amount of money on this race. Probably at least $1 billion. Maybe twice that. Possibly even more. Numbers like that upend every model of every presidential race in history. He can buy every news adjacency on cable and local television stations from now until November and not make a dent in his net worth. U.S. politics has never seen such financial throw weight in a presidential campaign.

Look at it from the point of view of the “down ballot” Democratic candidates. If you’re running for the U.S. Senate, or in one of the 100 “competitive” House races, or for governor or state senate, it’s likely that one of Bloomberg’s many super PACs is going to put vast amounts of money behind your campaign with “issues” TV advertising, digital advertising, voter-registration drives and organizational support. Buttressing that will be his national campaign infrastructure, staffed and financed at a level never before seen in presidential politics.

By Election Day, every anti-Trump voter in every precinct will have been contacted repeatedly, and then driven to the polls, if need be. Which will increase Mr. or Ms. Down-Ballot Democratic Candidate’s vote by, what? Two percent? Five percent? Ten percent? It doesn’t matter. It will add untold votes to the D side of the ledger.

Well, you say, so what? Bloomberg can’t possibly win the nomination of this Democratic Party electorate, the one that almost nominated Sanders over Hillary Clinton (and wishes it had). The one that loves Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), celebrates Medicare-for-all and campaigns for transgender bathrooms. The one that’s woke, whatever that means.

That Democratic electorate, however, isn’t the Democratic electorate. Yes, that first group gets all the ink, but it doesn’t have as many votes. Someone who unifies more moderate, pragmatic Democratic voters will win virtually every big state beginning on Super Tuesday.

And as it happens, that’s when Mike Bloomberg’s campaign begins.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...G3Q9-UHt3RyIrU


i think the point about down ballot races is a good one.

a good and moral person will look at 2020 and say, "which candidate is best suited to removing Donald Trump from the White House?" the answer is that all candidates will probably perform about the same. the second question is, "which candidate will win those three critical swing states -- PA, MI, WI -- where the race will likely be decided?" the answer is also about the same, which is that a compelling argument can be made for Biden (moderates) or Bernie (white working class Obama/Trumpers). the third question should be, "which candidate is going to most help the Senate races in against vulnerable GOP candidates?" do we really see the voters of NC, AZ, IA, and ME? or, will anything matter if Bloomberg's tide of cash can lift all boats?

flipping the Senate is almost nearly as important as defeating Trump. *nothing* progressive will ever get done so long as McConnell is the majority leader.

if Hillary had won, we'd still have 8 justices on SCOTUS, guaranteed.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #237
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,510
Local Time: 03:42 AM
Bernie scares me because of the unknown. No one really attacks him because of his base. For as vicious as the Clintons are made out to be, they never took the gloves off against Bernie. She needed his supporters and in the end didn’t get enough of them to win.

The GOP and Trump will find something in his closet as well as make something up. What if Bernie has something horrible that’s been buried....and the GOP are just sitting on it ?

Of course I’m coming around to saying let him get the nomination. See what happens but mostly to keep his base from destroying the party if Biden or someone else gets the nomination. Maybe enough moderates and independents bite their tongue at higher taxes, discontinuing private insurance, and free college in order to bury Trump at the voting booth. It’s not like these policies will be implemented anytime soon.

If Democrats turn out in full force, they win no matter who it is.

Here’s this regarding impeachment


https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...507780097?s=21
BEAL is online now  
Old 01-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #238
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,443
Local Time: 11:42 PM
People don’t attack Bernie because they know his only path to victory comes through plurality amongst dem voters, and developing a bad reputation with his base will backfire hardcore as it did with the general election - they’ll simply stay home if they think you oppose the progressive movement.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #239
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 11:42 PM
So Elizabeth Warren is saying that when she invited Bernie to her house to tell him she was running(they had lasagne accdg to Bernie's senior advisor) Warren said she thought a woman could win and Bernie disagreed.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:27 PM   #240
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
So Elizabeth Warren is saying that when she invited Bernie to her house to tell him she was running(they had lasagne accdg to Bernie's senior advisor) Warren said she thought a woman could win and Bernie disagreed.
This is the sort of nonsense that most sensible people hate about politics.

Agreed re: Bloomberg's money. That's why he should get out of the race and pledge to spend whatever for whichever candidate. Why the vanity project in the meantime? The Senate is actually more important than the Presidency. Even if the worst happens, Trump IMO won't live to 2024, at least not coherently. The guy is a walking neurological event waiting to happen.
__________________

anitram is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×