Trump General Discusion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're all heartened at how well Trump responds to criticism. Really, what a class act.

It's also obvious that Trump's "Christian values" are just/only his recently discovered opposition to abortion. That's all certain people care about.

Abortion as a political issue is very interesting to me, because it's the only one I can think of where everyone has a strong opinion one way or another. There seems to be no such thing as indifference toward abortion.

I think we're all heartened at how well Trump responds to criticism. Really, what a class act.

It's also obvious that Trump's "Christian values" are just/only his recently discovered opposition to abortion. That's all certain people care about.

Exactly this. The pro-life folks probably believe he espouses 'Christian values' on the sole basis of this.

Abortion as a political issue is very interesting to me, because it's the only one I can think of where everyone has a strong opinion one way or another. There seems to be no such thing as indifference toward abortion.

It's tr single most divisive issue in American political life.

Because when you accuse the other side of murdering babies, everything else just falls in line.

bob posts like grandma who writes out "like" in the comments of your photos on facebook instead of just pressing the button.

Because when you accuse the other side of murdering babies, everything else just falls in line.

It's so strange to me to see people in my family so AGAINST late term "abortions" despite the fact that my grandmother was placed into a scenario where she and my grandfather had to choose who to save: Their unborn child, or my grandmother.

If they had chosen to save the baby, I literally wouldn't be here, since my mother wasn't born yet. She went on to have two more children, I believe.

Maybe I'm not understanding this issue correctly, but it seems like the health of the mother part of the issue is even up for debate in this topic, yes?

Translation: I don't know my history either.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

They're not even blissfully ignorant. They just plug their ears when you give them facts. Historical facts.

They write their own history in a way that's convenient to them. "Ya we got the #1 POTUS in our party! Greatest of all time, guys! Go team Republican!"

I would say I don't have a strong opinion. Well, I certainly roll my eyes at pro-life folks. It is a morally conflicting concept, and it's probably one of the only things you can rationalize from a non-economic standpoint from the Republican perspective. Of course, my use of morally conflicting depends upon where one draws the line on abortion, but I don't think where most draw it is very morally conflicting.

But ultimately what I settle on is that it's not my body and I would never truly understand what it's like to have or not have such a choice. So, if you don't want to have an abortion, don't have an abortion. Plus, there's a serious socioeconomic benefit to it. If someone can't handle an unplanned child, you're degrading the quality of life for that person and for the eventual child who would be born.

But again, I think the reason why it's such a stalemate of a topic is because the defense can in some light be rationalized.

For those who only speak in Meme:

14732355_1812562802347202_5554498972060293620_n.jpg

I think this cartoon perfectly sums up the alternate universes people seem to live in currently:

racismyzjo5.jpg

It's just like the UK after Brexit. And it's not one or two, but thousands and thousands of incidences where people even directly refer to the fact that "Now with Trump as President...". That's pretty much the height of it. People blatantly stating the reason for their action, and the person and anyone associated with him go on and say, "Well, you can't really blame me for that!"

A colleague of mine recently met with a woman from Chicago who is an art therapist. She gave a training for therapists of our organisation. She said she's providing voluntary therapy services at a school in Chicago. Since Trump's starting to campaign, latino and black children come to her telling of harassment by the white kids. Girls experience inappropriate behaviour by boys. So the therapist sits down with the kids doing these kind of things and asks why. The answer pretty much in unison: This man running for President is doing this/saying this. It's really frustrating for the therapist, as it is for parents, because what to do? Tell them: "Oh yes, he's your President now. You should look up to him and respect him. But please don't you ever do what he's doing."?

On Clinton's loss, I liked this article by Susan Bordo very interesting, and the points she made about the generational gap:

For weeks, I had listened to 19 year-olds and media pundits alike lavish praise on Bernie Sanders for his bold, revolutionary message and pour scorn on Hillary for being "establishment." He was described as "heart" and she as "head"—a bitter irony for those of us familiar with the long history of philosophical, religious, and medical diatribes disqualifying women from leadership positions on the basis of our supposedly less-disciplined emotions. He was seen as "authentic" in his progressivism while she was seen as having moved to the left out of political expediency — as though a lifetime of fighting for universal healthcare, for gender and racial equality and for children’s rights didn’t pass the litmus tests for "progressive" causes. He was the champion of the working class while her long-standing commitments to child care, paid sick leave, the repeal of the Hyde Amendment and narrowing the wage-gap between working men and women are apparently nullified by her having accepted highly-paid invitations to speak at Goldman Sachs.

source: US election: The Creation of "Hillary Clinton" and the Deconstruction of Hillary Clinton | ZEIT ONLINE

When it doesn't even have to be. It's tiring to point out, but between "always abort" and "never abort" there is ample room for a compromise solution.

I found this article to be highly enlightening on the whole topic: The Real Origins of the Religious Right - POLITICO Magazine

The premise is, that other than the Catholic church the Evangelicals originally weren't opposed to abortion initially. But then the IRS threatened to take away the tax exemption of their racially segregated colleges. That was when they discovered abortion as a topic around which to rally support for which ever Presidential candidate would be most likely be keeping the IRS away from their precious money well, while simultaneously keeping them colored folks away.

They're not even blissfully ignorant. They just plug their ears when you give them facts. Historical facts.

They write their own history in a way that's convenient to them. "Ya we got the #1 POTUS in our party! Greatest of all time, guys! Go team Republican!"

They don't have to try, they just elected a man who could just make up shit on the fly to the highest office in the country.

This is our future.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Looking a little closer at this election Trump won this election by only about 120,000 votes in FL, and Johnson and Stein could have been factors.

Take away those 29 votes and Trump is at 261, with MI, within the margin of auto recount, we came very close to a 2000 contested election, I would not have blamed Hillary and Podesta for challenging MI, if they got a clear win in FL
Kind of makes Podesta and Hillary one day late concession seem reasonable, not that I ever faulted them for that.

Last edited:
Looking a little closer at this election Trump won this election by only about 120,000 votes in FL, and Johnson and Stein could have been factors.

Take away those 29 votes and Trump is at 259, with MI, within the margin of auto recount, we came very close to a 2000 contested election, I would not have blamed Hillary and Podesta for challenging MI, if they got a clear win in FL

Kind of makes Podesta and Hillary one day late concession seem reasonable, not that I ever faulted them for that.

Do you legitimately think she would win 75% of third party voters? The vast majority of which voted for a libertarian candidate?

120,000 is a very large gap.

No, but I think a little better effort might have got a few more people to the polls,

For the longest time I was an emotional ranter about the Nader voters wrecking Gore and putting W in office, I no longer believe that.

I still say 2016 is a close election, even in the EC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom