Putting living cows into boiling water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity

Refugee
I just heard today that the meat industry boils LIVE cows in order to soften their skin in order to make good leather. They boil the cows, and then slaughter them for beef. It is one thing to produce meat, but boiling live cows, its just very sad. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I am a vegetarian by the way, and I do my absolute best to avoid leather.

Beef is delicious. Boiling live cows is bad.

Beef is delicious.

Beef is delicious :combust:

I'm still emotionally scarred from seeing Glen Close boil that bunny in Fatal Attraction...c'mon, boiling live cows? That's just sick.

Infinitum98 said:
I just heard today that the meat industry boils LIVE cows in order to soften their skin in order to make good leather. They boil the cows, and then slaughter them for beef. It is one thing to produce meat, but boiling live cows, its just very sad. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I don't think so, source please?....where did you hear this crap from now, Yes....the cow's SKIN is boiled but not when the beast is alive. *shakes head*

What would be the point of boiling it alive? You'd lose a large profit because the meat would subsequently be unusable. Story sounds kind of fishy to me.

Yeah true...I know boiling the hide is part of leather production but it seems like boiling JUST the hide, rather than the whole cow, would be easier.

The story sounds very bogus to me...they boil the skin after the cow is dead, they don't boil the cow alive as has already been said it would ruin the meat...this is either from a really misworded source or a bad source from extreme animal websites or some such.

Infinitum98 said:
I just heard today that the meat industry boils LIVE cows in order to soften their skin in order to make good leather.

Heard where ?

Hmm. I read all of your answers, I hope you guys are right in saying that they kill the cow first and then boil its skin. I don't quite remember where I read this, and I didn't save the link. If I can find it I will post it.

But yes, eating meat is one thing. Even though I don't support eating meat or wearing leather/fur, I believe that they should at least kill the animals in the most painless way possible, not in a way that just maximizes profits.

unico said:
i don't understand how boiling them alive makes for better leather?

:hi5: to a fellow vegetarian.

Ohh you are vegetarian? Thats awesome. Are you one for health reasons or moral reasons. Anyways, thats great to hear. :)

Infinitum98 said:
Hmm. I read all of your answers, I hope you guys are right in saying that they kill the cow first and then boil its skin. I don't quite remember where I read this, and I didn't save the link. If I can find it I will post it.

But yes, eating meat is one thing. Even though I don't support eating meat or wearing leather/fur, I believe that they should at least kill the animals in the most painless way possible, not in a way that just maximizes profits.

It wouldn't maximize profit. They couldn't sell the meat anymore, and the leather isn't that valuable.

I don't believe they boil them alive... They would if there was any beneficts but that's not the case...
Believe me (I can't speak for all countries though), usually animals are killed in the less painful way, the problem is that they can sense dead because of the feromones. But it's the way they treat them when they're gaining weight that messes with me... In fact it puts me in a bad mood in an instant... Especially with pigs... The way they keep them, they barely have any space to move, they're eyes are red from the high temperatures and bad air, they look so scared... It's really horrible.

Infinitum98 said:

Reading this I must say I was nearly moooooved to tears.

:reject:

Infinitum98 said:

Keeping consumer costs down is a factor in this too.

We want our Rib Eye, and we don't want to pay through the nose fo rit.

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

PETA

Dusty Bottoms said:
Lobster anyone?

hawkman said:

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

PETA

Oh wow. That's very witty. You must have made it up because I don't think I or anyone has ever heard it before.

If you believe in killing animals for food, that is your business. But to mock those of us who are out to help defenseless animals is just wrong.

:|

And I don't think Dusty Bottoms was trying to be witty. I do believe he's talking about putting a live animal into boiling water.

... which is what happens to lobsters when you wanna eat them. And perfectly relevant to the topic (or rumor) at hand.

Infinitum98 said:

Oh wow. That's very witty. You must have made it up because I don't think I or anyone has ever heard it before.

If you believe in killing animals for food, that is your business. But to mock those of us who are out to help defenseless animals is just wrong.

:|
Don't kid yourself, Infinitum. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.

corianderstem said:
And I don't think Dusty Bottoms was trying to be witty. I do believe he's talking about putting a live animal into boiling water.

... which is what happens to lobsters when you wanna eat them. And perfectly relevant to the topic (or rumor) at hand.

Why do I have an urge for surf'n'turf all of a sudden ?

martha said:

Can we mock you for posting rumors then?

No. Because even if what I posted does turn out to be a rumor, I posted it thinking it was real. My intentions are not to lie or spread rumors. Animal cruelty is a topic that effects me so I decided to talk about it in Free Your Mind, simple as that.

corianderstem said:

Yes you are right about putting live lobsters into boiling water. I wasn't referring to Dusty Bottoms when I made the witty remark though, I was referring to hawkman who wrote "People for Eating Tasty Animals." :tsk:

And I think Dusty Bottoms was trying to mock the topic by offering "lobster." Thats why I quoted him in that post also.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom