Non-Christian spiritual beliefs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Religion are you? (non-Christian)

• Wiccan (or some other form of pagan/earth religion)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Muslim

• Athiest

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Buddhist

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Bah?'?

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Judaism

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Unitarian Universalist

• you numbskull you didn't include my non-Christian religion

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Satanism

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Sparkysgrrrl

War Child
I wish this could be a 2 part poll...
Basically I wanted to know what other religions are represented by the posters on this board. I see many Christians, and was wondering what other beliefs are shared by the folks on here.

I also wanted part of the poll to ask if you were afraid to speak about your spiritual beliefs on the board because of how others may perceive that religion, based on stereotypes or a misunderstanding about that particular religion.

For now I'll leave it as is, just the one poll and I'd like to hear from anyone who would like to share their religious beliefs.
And if anyone's willing to speak up and say "yes, I'm a little apprehensive to mention to people that I'm (whatever religion)" then by all means do it.

Also definitions, since these two are often confused and lumped together:

agnostic :One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.

athiest: One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods

appologies to those I forgot on the poll lol

5 votes so far...I'm bumping this before I call it a night, and if anyone wants to discuss agnosticism (not really a religion, but an idea) while I'm asleep.
Or anything...anyone....someone...

:wave:

GREAT SITE

Last edited:
Not speaking for atheiests, but under Sparkysgrrrl's definition of an agnostic, there is no reason they cannot be spiritual too. Agnostics may not subscribe to a particular God or religion, but general faith can lead to belief that A God does, or some form of higher enitity at least.

unfotunatly that thread went off the deep end onto discussing Christianity...

And yes, like Angel said it is extremely possible to be agnostic and to be spiritual.
And Atheists could be spiritual as well for that matter, spirituality dosen't necessarily mean "belief in a higher power" you can believe that there are things out there that we can not prove, or are not meant to understand (ghosts, dimensions, aliens, whatever) without believing there is a higher power "running the show"

The other religions thread was neat. I learned something about the Bahai faith which I had never even heard of before that. It was a pretty civilised conversation too.

how to say what I feel without pissing people off

I picked agnositic.... I believe that there is a God or something higher that guides us...however, I don't belong to any organized religon. I used to not believe in anything....however, so many times in my life I've had those "close calls" where something really bad should've happened to me, but didn't.

I think I don't really believe in organized religon is that all my experiences with them have been negative. I don't mean that to insult anyone or their beliefs, it is just based on my personal experience.

Whatever people believe in and how they choose to express that faith is not for me to question.

BTW I picked: you numbskull you didn't include my non-Christian religion. I could have chosen the pagan/earth-based religions but I feel that since my religion is a left hand path religion it doesnt really fit with those religions. I'm picky, I know.

Yeah, there were some good things in that other thread. I just wish it hadn't gotten so deeply into christianity vs. whatever.

I thought you did a brillinat job in that thread RavenStar :up:

I consider myself Agnostic too, the only religion I really relate to is Wicca but I'm too cynical to really get involved in anything. Mabey at a later date tho......

We can edit your poll if you like sparkysgrrrl to add the Satanist religion.

Btw, I am replying to say how much I agree with Daisybean on this.

It weould be interesting if there was another Satanist on this board. It might have been a lurker that voted or something.
Im tired.
Goodnight.

I agree with every word Daisybean said. I have often been afraid to comment on spirituality in interference, because almost everyone is so adamant about their religous beliefs, I'm afraid of being clobbered. Since I wasn't raised in a Christian household, I couldn't quote the Bible in an argument, or even to make a point, to save my life. (I tried reading the Bible once but I never seem to get past Noah's ark!)

Although I was raised in a completely non religious environment, I can't rule out the existance of God...in fact I truly hope and find it very likely there is a higher power, and I do believe we have souls. I also firmly believe in ghosts, and think the possibility of past lives and future reincarnation (as we learn lessons in each life) is a strong possibility. On the other hand, I also believe in evolution and science, and I think God probably created all that as a puzzle for us to unravel.

The problem is, when you are raised in a non-religious background, you have the benefit of deciding something as an adult and not be brainwashed from childhood, yet it's very difficult to suddenly decide you believe something out of the blue, just because someone tells you something. My mother used to be a staunch Anglican, and then she met my dad, the theosophist turned atheist. My brother is now a Unitarian, and my sister is a Wiccan! I was never baptized, and the fact that I am theoretically doomed to hell (according to certain religions) for this regardless of how I behave in life really bothers me...the way I was raised is not my fault! But that's another story.

Actually, I really really wish I belonged to some sort of religion, it would give me peace of mind that the answers were all there, and a feeling of belonging. I often feel that I am excluded from "the club", especially in interference (Adam at the back of the October tour bus syndrome). '

I also strongly resent the notion that if you don't believe in God you are therefore some sort of immoral anarchist with no reason to abide by laws or be a good person. I for one, want to be as good a person as I possibly can while on earth, even if it doesn't mean a ticket to Heaven. With all due respect for my many Christian friends, and I have nothing at all against Christianity, I believe in good HUMAN values, not good Christian values.

Well, there are some of my thoughts. :)

*waits to get pummelled* :laugh:

Last edited:
Mrs. Edge said:
I agree with every word Daisybean said. I have often been afraid to comment on spirituality in interference, because almost everyone is so adamant about their religous beliefs, I'm afraid of being clobbered. Since I wasn't raised in a Christian household, I couldn't quote the Bible in an argument, or even to make a point, to save my life. (I tried reading the Bible once but I never seem to get past Noah's ark!)

Mrs. Edge, I had a similar experience growing up. I even attended a Catholic Jesuit High School - none of what they taught made sense. I also had the same trouble reading the bible - can't make it through Genesis.

I can only suggest reading the book of John. It lays out the basics of God's message of salvation - a great place to start.

Peace.

A member of sinners anonymous.

Mrs. Edge said:

Although I was raised in a completely non religious environment, I can't rule out the existance of God...in fact I truly hope and find it very likely there is a higher power, and I do believe we have souls. I also firmly believe in ghosts, and think the possibility of past lives and future reincarnation (as we learn lessons in each life) is a strong possibility. On the other hand, I also believe in evolution and science, and I think God probably created all that as a puzzle for us to unravel.

The problem is, when you are raised in a non-religious background, you have the benefit of deciding something as an adult and not be brainwashed from childhood, yet it's very difficult to suddenly decide you believe something out of the blue, just because someone tells you something. My mother used to be a staunch Anglican, and then she met my dad, the theosophist turned atheist. My brother is now a Unitarian, and my sister is a Wiccan! I was never baptized, and the fact that I am theoretically doomed to hell (according to certain religions) for this regardless of how I behave in life really bothers me...the way I was raised is not my fault! But that's another story.

Actually, I really really wish I belonged to some sort of religion, it would give me peace of mind that the answers were all there, and a feeling of belonging. I often feel that I am excluded from "the club", especially in interference (Adam at the back of the October tour bus syndrome). '

I also strongly resent the notion that if you don't believe in God you are therefore some sort of immoral anarchist with no reason to abide by laws or be a good person. I for one, want to be as good a person as I possibly can while on earth, even if it doesn't mean a ticket to Heaven. With all due respect for my many Christian friends, and I have nothing at all against Christianity, I believe in good HUMAN values, not good Christian values.

Well, there are some of my thoughts. :)

*waits to get pummelled* :laugh:

Great post, Mrs. Edge. I agree with a lot of what you said. I had Christianity shoved down my throat (no offense to Christians--I would feel the same way about any religion that was pushed on me as a child; it just happened to be Christianity) and yet still grew up not believing in the Christian religion. Fortunately I was able to free myself from my childhood brainwashing and find a spiritual, non-religious, path that moves me deeply and that works for me big time. I hope you find something that works for you as well (only because it sounds like you want to). :)

hahahaha!! pinkfloyd I thought of putting that on there actually, I usually put that on all my gov't paperwork :up:

Zoomerang96 - Satanism is not "devil worship" there are no animal sacrifices and all that jazz we see in movies. I've known a few Satanists in my life, so I think I can answer a bit for you, unless someone with more direct knowledge wants to as well ;)

There are many different types of Satanism, just like most religions, but the basic thing about it is a rejection of any other faith, and one based more on helping yourself, not worshipping some diety and bowing down to them for help, but rather you have the power within yourself to do whatever it is you must do. Everyone is resposible for themselves, and is free to live life as they wish, so long as you aren't causing direct harm to another person for no reason. Also no harming of animals other than for food, and no harming of children.

They Church of Satan has set up different beliefs, or is that not the right word for them Raven? And also many can be interpreted in different ways just like in any other belief system.

[The Nine Satanic Statements

The Nine Satanic Statements

The Nine Satanic Statements

I wouls also like to sing the praises of Mrs. Edge lol
I was not happy at all with my religious upbringing, but grew up around some spooky things like ghosts, noises, and many many things that couldn't be explained away. But none the less, things that made me feel pretty damned spiritual.
I have always felt that out of all religions, Wicca type ones have really been comforting to me.
And that goes along well with where my family came from, and things that I've been drawn to since childhood - an insane need to be around nature, and get lost in the woods for hours, an intense love and respect of animals, intense feelings when being in the midst of a weather change, just nature nature nature. And I like the idea of my being in control of my own life, not bowing down to something and begging. There is so much in the readings I've done over the years on the Wiccan way and it just makes me feel all warm and cozy.

It's just not something I've been willing to actually fully accept as MY way, because I'm in no place right now to make such a desicion, and I don't want to go around falsely calling myself a Witch when I'm not ready yet.

:yes:

Angela Harlem said:
We can edit your poll if you like sparkysgrrrl to add the Satanist religion.

the Bah?'? faith is spelled wrong. is there any chance that you can edit this. Then I?ll put my x in you poll :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom