GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #561
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Washington (CNN) -- NBC has apologized to Rep. Michele Bachmann after the house band for "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" played an inappropriate song during her appearance on the show Monday, CNN confirmed Thursday.

Bachmann received a letter Wednesday from Doug Vaughan, NBC's senior vice president for special programs and late night, that apologized for what happened and called the incident "not only unfortunate but also unacceptable," said Alice Stewart, the Republican presidential hopeful's spokeswoman.

According to Stewart, the letter also said the show's band, which played the song "Lyin' Ass Bitch" by Fishbone as Bachmann first appeared on stage, was "severely reprimanded."

"She accepted the apology," Stewart told CNN Thursday.

Bachmann also spoke to Fallon Wednesday and had a "nice conversation," said Stewart, who described the late night host as "remorseful" and "a class act."

Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #562
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
How cute, throwing my exact quotations back at me! You're so clever!

First of all, given the historical usage of that adjective, I would suggest everyone refrain from using it in reference to black people. However, unlike "nigger" or "bitch," it's a word that actually has a definition and can be used in applicable situations. Does "bitch" have some alternate meaning that I'm not aware of that perhaps The Roots were bestowing on the congresswoman?
Wow. So calling a successful black women who happens to be the first lady, 'uppity' is an applicable situation? You've truly shown your true colors.

Look up what that word means, then study up on American history between 1865-1965, and then tell us about all the applicable situations where that word can be used.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #563
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Old 11-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #564
War Child

Local Time: 02:12 AM
According to google it means arrogant, and is synonymous to conceited.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #565
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
According to google it means arrogant, and is synonymous to conceited.
In the 1870s the KKK beat and killed thousands of blacks who they regarded as "uppity" or too successful. The term was applied to black people by former confederates, segregationists, and racists if they became too successful or prosperous in the reconstruction south. If a black person didn't know their place in southern white society, they were called uppity and punished accordingly (i.e. intimidation, beatings, vandalism and lynching). Blacks that participated in the various civil rights boycotts, marches and sit ins of the 50s and 60s were also referred to as being "uppity".
Old 11-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #566
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
Wow. So calling a successful black women who happens to be the first lady, 'uppity' is an applicable situation? You've truly shown your true colors.

Look up what that word means, then study up on American history between 1865-1965, and then tell us about all the applicable situations where that word can be used.
Is this a joke? Did you not read the exact part of my post that you just quoted- the part that answers the very questions you're asking me? I don't think you did. I see you're a teacher, but for your students' sake I really hope it's not in English. You seem to have comprehension issues.

So I'll repeat myself for you. Try reading slowly if need be.

Yes, I'm aware of the historical allusions associated with that word. However, unlike a word like "nigger", for example, it's a legitimate word that has a definition and that can be used in applicable situations to describe a person's behavior. That's just a fact. Where did I ever say that Rush's use of the word towards the first lady was an appropriate use? I'll help you out- I didn't. Because it isn't.

My "true colors"- please. I honestly have no recollection of you posting here except for the past couple weeks, but I'm glad you're smart enough to be able to deduce the kind of person I am in that short amount of time.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #567
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Is this a joke? Did you not read the exact part of my post that you just quoted- the part that answers the very questions you're asking me? I don't think you did. I see you're a teacher, but for your students' sake I really hope it's not in English. You seem to have comprehension issues.

So I'll repeat myself for you. Try reading slowly if need be.

Yes, I'm aware of the historical allusions associated with that word. However, unlike a word like "nigger", for example, it's a legitimate word that has a definition and that can be used in applicable situations to describe a person's behavior. That's just a fact. Where did I ever say that Rush's use of the word towards the first lady was an appropriate use? I'll help you out- I didn't. Because it isn't.

My "true colors"- please. I honestly have no recollection of you posting here except for the past couple weeks, but I'm glad you're smart enough to be able to deduce the kind of person I am in that short amount of time.
I read your post loud and clear. I saw what you said, but you're wrong. You can't argue that there is legitimate use for the word. Go on, go call a black person uppity and see how they react. Tell them you used the word legitimately. Good, So you agree that Rush's use of the word was inappropriate. If only you were willing to condemn him with as much outrage as you had over a shitty late night talk show that played a couple seconds from an obscure song.

As for your true colors, it's fairly easy to pick out the conservative shills that have ruined a once great political party and are now trying to do the same to the country.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #568
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
Go on, go call a black person uppity and see how they react. Tell them you used the word legitimately.
Did you miss this part of his post?

Quote:
First of all, given the historical usage of that adjective, I would suggest everyone refrain from using it in reference to black people.

EDIT: It made me all curious, so I poked around online and sure enough, a lot of people think it shouldn't be used at all. Gotta admit, this is news to me. But I'm fine with being wrong - I don't pretend like I know everything about everything. Interesting.

I've read a lot of online conversations (some thoughtful, others irritating) about words and phrases with racist connotations and whether or not they can be used in a non-racist context, but I'd never seen "uppity" come into the discussion.

So, uh ..... thanks, Rush? I guess? For bringing this to my attention?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #569
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #570
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
So how was she being uppity at the NASCAR race?
well?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #571
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:12 AM
This guy was done, before he began

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...comes-forward/

what a joke !

Now, he will have to start talking about himself in the 4th person.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #572
Blue Crack Addict

Time for another NotMitt to step forward.

Here comes Noot!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #573
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:12 AM
It really is only a two person race

and Newt has a lot of baggage. GOP primary voters have an embarrassment of non-riches from which to choose.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #574
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:12 AM

Newsweek, Nov. 28
Quote:
Steve Deace, an influential conservative radio host, is wrestling with the possibility that Newt Gingrich may be the most viable standard bearer for family-values voters in the next election. It’s a conundrum, he says, that many others are also grappling with. "Maybe the guy in the race that would make the best president is on his third marriage," he says. "How do we reconcile that?"

One senses him trying. "I see a lot of parallels between King David and Newt Gingrich, two extraordinary men gifted by God, whose lives include very high highs and very low lows," Deace says.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #575
Blue Crack Supplier

i greatly look forward to a thrice married serial adulterer advocating "traditional" marriage.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #576
ONE
love, blood, life

n00t, n00t, n00t!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #577
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Bill Clinton seems to like Newt's immigration policy. He's been getting some flack from the right over this so will this help or hurt Newtie?

Clinton: Gingrich stance on immigration ‘thoughtful,’ could win over independents - TheHill.com

Bill Clinton =
Old 11-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #578
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Latest Rasmussen Poll:

Obama > Romney by 6%
Obama > Gingrich by 6%

Latest Quinnipiac Poll:

Obama > Romney by 1%
Obama > Gingrich by 9%

Latest Zogby Poll:

Romney > Obama by 2%
Obama > Gingrich by 1%

Latest Fox News Poll:

Romney > Obama by 2%
Obama > Gingrich by 2%

And yet Republicans are still torn on who to vote for...
Old 11-29-2011, 06:29 AM   #579
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I'm not sure how Steve is becoming more and more influential. He's basically a nicer, but more bible versed Rush. I've met him a few times, and while on the surface he's nice enough....everything is about the bible.

He is pretty good with his sports picks and anaylsis though....

Newt doesn't stand a chance. Why won't the GOP just embrace Mittens? Is it his faith???
Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #580
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:12 AM
I'd never heard of Deace, but that doesn't mean anything since I've never heard of half the radio and TV names people throw around in here, left or right. I did find the appeal to King David analogies pretty funny though.

I think the flip-flopper image is more of a problem for Romney than his faith. I don't know that he really reverses his positions more than lots of other prominent politicians, but the stony-faced air of utmost seriousness with which he pronounces everything doesn't help when saying stuff that completely contradicts what was said with equal affected gravity earlier. As is often true of policiticans who get stuck with the flip-flopper label. Obviously, there are those for whom his faith categorically rules him out, but I think for the most part those types wouldn't find Romney conservative enough anyway regardless of his faith.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης