GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty funny too

Politico, Aug. 16
No joke: Presidential candidate Rick Perry and comedian Stephen Colbert, who last week barraged Iowa voters with advertisements urging voters to support “Rick Parry,” shared the same political committee treasurer--until they didn’t.

Salvatore Purpura, who has represented numerous political committees as treasurer over the years, told POLITICO that he resigned on Thursday as treasurer of Colbert’s super PAC, Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow. Then, on Monday, Perry--not Parry--formally filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission listing Purpura has his campaign treasurer. “Obviously, there was a potential conflict of interest,” Purpura said. “I told [Colbert lawyer] Trevor [Potter] on Thursday I would not be able to be treasurer anymore.”

Colbert, in an email to POLITICO, praised Purpura’s service. “We’re not surprised. Sal is the best in the business. That’s why we went with him,” Colbert wrote. “We’re happy for Sal and we are even happier that Governor Parry has sent the clear signal of which super PAC he trusts to receive all that unlimited money waiting to pour in on his behalf. Loud and clear, sir. Unofficially, loud and clear.”

...Purpura’s online LinkedIn resume indicates he’s served as treasurer or “director of treasury” for George W. Bush’s 2004 re-election campaign, John McCain 2008 presidential campaign, the US Senate campaign of Carly Fiorina in California and the campaign of Sen. John Boozman (R-AR), among others.

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Elvis blared from loudspeakers as Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann emerged from her campaign bus here Tuesday.

So much in politics is theater and, in theater, music matters. But how can any musical choice that involves The King go wrong?

It only can if — as Bachmann did — you play an Elvis song as a birthday tribute. "Before we get started," Bachmann told her audience, at the Beacon, a local eatery, "let’s say ’happy birthday’ to him."

One teeny-tiny problem: Tuesday was the 34th anniversary of Elvis’ death.

:scream: I'm sorry but you can't rail against the "elites" and then get something like this wrong. Elvis' death is Red State 101. Michele Bachmann has been exposed as a fraud in my mind.

Reminds me of Obama in 2008 and his failure to produce one player's name from his so-called favorite baseball team, the Chicago White Sox. But then no one really expects a Messiah to concern himself with such mortal trivialities do they?

It's just a bit of humor, I never said Obama has never made a mistake and he's no "messiah". Bachmann is planning a visit to Graceland, but she said it's on the West Coast so it'll take her a while to get there on her bus :D

Hey I think the first shot might have been fired at Graceland, and Paul Revere told everyone to eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

More like People Over 50 101, which is fine, but no one else really gives a damn. Same with John Lennon.

Today she promised to be the "hombre-ette" to stand for her supporters in the White House. Maybe not a gaffe exactly, but calling yourself a man-ette is just weird.

Did anyone see Anderson Cooper last night-keeping them honest segment about jobs "created by Rick Perry"?

Keeping Them Honest – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Hmmmm...

Greenville, SC (CNN) -- Presidential candidates are known for making promises on the campaign trail.

Republican contender Michele Bachmann told a crowd of supporters in Greenville, South Carolina on Tuesday that she will bring down gas prices when she's president.

"Under President Bachmann you will see gasoline come down below $2 a gallon again," said Bachmann. "That will happen."

If she is elected, it may be a tough promise to keep.

Gas prices are tied to global oil prices and are not controlled by Washington.

Bachmann did not say specifically how she would help gas prices come down again, but her website says as president, she would ease restrictions on drilling.

Did anyone see Anderson Cooper last night-keeping them honest segment about jobs "created by Rick Perry"?

I did not see it.

But I know the jobs claim is a total bullshit claim.

There are 25 states that have lower unemployment rates than Texas.

Unemployment Rates for States

Also he (Texas) has not really created new jobs.
He has poached them from other U S States with very weak enviomental laws and 'right to work' laws, that means no minimum wage law.

He should be running for President of Malaysia.

Many of the jobs are actually public sector, and created or saved by stimulus money. Also due to the large population influx and the resulting increase in demand for goods and services.

Under President Bachmann coffee will cost a quarter and the movies will be fifty cents

In the last 2 years.

Texas is no. 3 in adding new jobs, not no. 1.
North Dakota is number 1 with a 6.9 % increase.
Alaska is second with a 3% increase.

and Texas is 3rd at 2.9 % increase.

If Texas is number 1 in adding new jobs.
Then California is number1 in employment.

In the last 2 years.

Texas is no. 3 in adding new jobs, not no. 1.
North Dakota is number 1 with a 6.9 % increase.
Alaska is second with a 3% increase.

and Texas is 3rd at 2.9 % increase.

If Texas is number 1 in adding new jobs.
Then California is number1 in employment.

Which is why the unemployment rate is important.
Being tops at adding jobs is almost meaningless if your population rate is increasing faster than your job creation rate. So, kudos to Perry for being adequate.

Somewhat ambivalent article about Perry by Rich Lowry in the National Review--he sounds torn between pre-emptive indignation at the onslaught of kneejerk-elitist Texas-bashing he's sure awaits Perry, and on the other hand hoping that Perry will choose to play up Texas' "dynamism" and diversity rather than focusing on tossing red meat to the culture warriors.
You could be mistaken for thinking that Perry set out from his infancy to trample on certain eastern sensibilities. Born in nowheresville Texas to a family of cotton farmers. An Eagle Scout. Attendance at Texas A&M, where he was a “yell leader”—basically a male cheerleader—and in ROTC. After earning a degree in animal science and serving in the Air Force, he entered politics and eventually ascended to the governorship in the wake of another hated Texan—George W. Bush. Perry makes Bush look like a sniveling elitist, what with his patrician, highly credentialed family. Perry went to Paint Creek Rural School in Haskell, Texas; Bush went to Phillips Academy in Andover, Mass., and then on to Yale and Harvard. Perry is a great partisan of Texas and has mused about its leaving the union. He’s an evangelical Christian who unembarrassedly prays in public and for his state. He’s a tea partier who extols the Constitution and seeks a drastically limited federal government. He’s a law-and-order conservative in a state that still executes people.

It’d be almost impossible to come up with a background and cluster of affiliations so provocative. Texas has all the negative charge for liberals that Massachusetts does for conservatives. Perry will be branded as a backward, dimwitted, heartless neo-Confederate. A walking, talking threat to the separation of church and state who doesn’t realize people like him were supposed to slink away after the Scopes trial nearly 90 years ago.

...Perry apparently lacks all ironic detachment, the quality that so endears liberals to Pres. Barack Obama even though they constantly exhort him to become a fighter.
The cultural static around Perry could well distract from his core economic message. He’d do well, as he began to do in his announcement speech, to cast his personal story and his state in terms of aspiration: Rural life, the Scouts, the military, and his faith inculcated in him the virtues necessary for success, and he lived in a state wide open and free enough for him to rise. No matter how big his belt buckle and his boots, Perry should work to belie the image of Texas. It’s not the TV show Dallas of 30 years ago. It’s a dynamic state that has created jobs to absorb a population growth of 20% during the past ten years. It has thriving big cities and a diverse economy no longer exclusively dependent on the oil-and-gas industry. It has close ties to Mexico and a large Latino population.

I did not see it.

But I know the jobs claim is a total bullshit claim.

There are 25 states that have lower unemployment rates than Texas.

Unemployment Rates for States

deep, what is the other variable in the unemployment rate? The number of people seeking employment. There aren't 25 states whose population has grown the past decade as fast as Texas. In fact there are only 2. Texas' population grew twice as fast as the nation as a whole did. 20%. Texas is gaining 4 seats in the U.S House because of their growth. That's what makes the number of jobs created more impressive than the unemployment rate.
Also he (Texas) has not really created new jobs.
He has poached them from other U S States with very weak enviomental laws and 'right to work' laws, that means no minimum wage law.

That's like saying In-n-Out poached customers from McDonald's and Burger King with a better hamburger. Dah?

Maybe companies relocate to Texas because of its pro-business regulatory and tax policies along with open shop rules?
Maybe people move to Texas to follow the jobs and to enjoy lower personal taxes (no income state income tax), a lower cost of living and lower housing prices?

He should be running for President of Malaysia.

No comment.

You just compared stripping environmental and labor laws to offering better food than a competitor. I hope you realize how ridiculous that is.

Texas isn't a fucking business, first of all. It's a government entity. I'm so sick of this "Why can't government be more like business?" attitude. It's not a business. There's a rather large difference.

Second, the comparison makes no sense. It's not a better hamburger, it's a cheaper hamburger, and it's cheaper because they cut their costs in immoral ways, like not having to pay their workers as much as other businesses.

Sure, Indie, great president in the wings right here.....

Rick Perry should be running a fucking taco stand.

Oh, wait that's right, we elect Republican nominees based on who we would want to have a beer with. Carry on then, America :up:

lAhQ7.jpg

(This is the same dufus who suggested that the DoD use predator drones to patrol the border in his state for illegal crossings.....which the DoD is already doing.)

This doesn't matter anyway, Rove has come out in unspoken support for Mittens, and what Karl wants Karl gets.

I really don't see many people thinking of voting Republican in 2012 giving a damn about Perry's college transcript. He majored in a science field unrelated to his eventual career, had a successful commission as an Air Force pilot afterwards, and in interviews credits his military service with giving him structure and direction he'd lacked as a younger man. That will be a familiar enough story to most potential supporters to satisfy them that his college grades don't suggest administrative competence deficits lurking beneath his apparent political accomplishments.

I really don't see many people thinking of voting Republican in 2012 giving a damn about Perry's college transcript. He majored in a science field unrelated to his eventual career, had a successful commission as an Air Force pilot afterwards, and in interviews credits his military service with giving him structure and direction he'd lacked as a younger man. That will be a familiar enough story to most potential supporters to satisfy them that his college grades don't suggest administrative competence deficits lurking beneath his apparent political accomplishments.

Yup. A shoot from the hip cowboy from Texas with real military experience unlike the last guy from Texas or Obama... Perry seems to be perfect red meat for the base.

I kind of like him too, but that means he won't stand a chance. The GOP is all about the extremes right now, instead of someone who actually meets their true standards.

If he were to get the nomination, without having to sell out (McCain); I do think it would be a touch choice between him and Obama.

Though I'm not sure why I even kid myself, he'd probably end up being a tool of Wall Street and big Corporations too.

I really like him too-I'm sure I don't agree with many of his views but he just seems like such a true gentleman and such a classy guy. I guess these days he's far too much of both to be successful in Washington :|

Rational and reasonable-nah, that won't work either

Rick Perry had some sort of Bartolo Colon like stem cell procedure on his back. It wasn't embryonic stem cells of course.

But it's almost as if he got some of Bush's stem cells and DNA.. I see Bush more and more every time I see him.

Yahoo.com

Rick Perry has many ideas about how to change the American government's founding document. From ending lifetime tenure for federal judges to completely scrapping two whole amendments, the Constitution would see a major overhaul if the Texas governor and Republican presidential candidate had his druthers.

Perry laid out these proposed innovations to the founding document in his book, Fed Up! Our Fight to Save America from Washington. He has occasionally mentioned them on the campaign trail. Several of his ideas fall within the realm of mainstream conservative thinking today, but, as you will see, there are also a few surprises.

1. Abolish lifetime tenure for federal judges by amending Article III, Section I of the Constitution.

The nation's framers established a federal court system whereby judges with "good behavior" would be secure in their job for life. Perry believes that provision is ready for an overhaul.

"The Judges," reads Article III, "both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behavior, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office."

Perry makes it no secret that he believes the judges on the bench over the past century have acted beyond their constitutional bounds. The problem, Perry reasons, is that members of the judiciary are "unaccountable" to the people, and their lifetime tenure gives them free license to act however they want. In his book, the governor speaks highly of plans to limit their tenure and offers proposals about how to accomplish it.

"'[W]e should take steps to restrict the unlimited power of the courts to rule over us with no accountability," he writes in Fed Up! "There are a number of ideas about how to do this . . . . One such reform would be to institute term limits on what are now lifetime appointments for federal judges, particularly those on the Supreme Court or the circuit courts, which have so much power. One proposal, for example, would have judges roll off every two years based on seniority."

2. Congress should have the power to override Supreme Court decisions with a two-thirds vote.

Ending lifetime tenure for federal justices isn't the only way Perry has proposed suppressing the power of the courts. His book excoriates at length what he sees as overreach from the judicial branch. (The title of Chapter Six is "Nine Unelected Judges Tell Us How to Live.")

Giving Congress the ability to veto their decisions would be another way to take the Court down a notch, Perry says.

"[A]llow Congress to override the Supreme Court with a two-thirds vote in both the House and Senate, which risks increased politicization of judicial decisions, but also has the benefit of letting the people stop the Court from unilaterally deciding policy," he writes.

3. Scrap the federal income tax by repealing the Sixteenth Amendment.

The Sixteenth Amendment gives Congress the "power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration." It should be abolished immediately, Perry says.

Calling the Sixteenth Amendment "the great milestone on the road to serfdom," Perry's writes that it provides a virtually blank check to the federal government to use for projects with little or no consultation from the states.

4. End the direct election of senators by repealing the Seventeenth Amendment.

Overturning this amendment would restore the original language of the Constitution, which gave state legislators the power to appoint the members of the Senate.

Ratified during the Progressive Era in 1913 , the same year as the Sixteenth Amendment, the Seventeenth Amendment gives citizens the ability to elect senators on their own. Perry writes that supporters of the amendment at the time were "mistakenly" propelled by "a fit of populist rage."

"The American people mistakenly empowered the federal government during a fit of populist rage in the early twentieth century by giving it an unlimited source of income (the Sixteenth Amendment) and by changing the way senators are elected (the Seventeenth Amendment)," he writes.

5. Require the federal government to balance its budget every year.

Of all his proposed ideas, Perry calls this one "the most important," and of all the plans, a balanced budget amendment likely has the best chance of passage.

"The most important thing we could do is amend the Constitution--now--to restrict federal spending," Perry writes in his book. "There are generally thought to be two options: the traditional 'balanced budget amendment' or a straightforward 'spending limit amendment,' either of which would be a significant improvement. I prefer the latter . . . . Let's use the people's document--the Constitution--to put an actual spending limit in place to control the beast in Washington."

A campaign to pass a balanced budget amendment through Congress fell short by just one vote in the Senate in the 1990s.

Last year, House Republicans proposed a spending-limit amendment that would limit federal spending to 20 percent of the economy. According to the amendment's language, the restriction could be overridden by a two-thirds vote in both Houses of Congress or by a declaration of war.

6. The federal Constitution should define marriage as between one man and one woman in all 50 states.

Despite saying last month that he was "fine with" states like New York allowing gay marriage, Perry has now said he supports a constitutional amendment that would permanently ban gay marriage throughout the country and overturn any state laws that define marriage beyond a relationship between one man and one woman.

"I do respect a state's right to have a different opinion and take a different tack if you will, California did that," Perry told the Christian Broadcasting Network in August. "I respect that right, but our founding fathers also said, 'Listen, if you all in the future think things are so important that you need to change the Constitution here's the way you do it'.

In an interview with The Ticket earlier this month, Perry spokeswoman Katherine Cesinger said that even though it would overturn laws in several states, the amendment still fits into Perry's broader philosophy because amendments require the ratification of three-fourths of the states to be added to the Constitution.

7. Abortion should be made illegal throughout the country.

Like the gay marriage issue, Perry at one time believed that abortion policy should be left to the states, as was the case before the 1973 Supreme Court case Roe v. Wade. But in the same Christian Broadcasting Network interview, Perry said that he would support a federal amendment outlawing abortion because it was "so important...to the soul of this country and to the traditional values [of] our founding fathers."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom