Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it’s not much to admit. Romney would’ve been up for re-election in 2016.

I meant more in the sense that the Trump wing of the Republican party wouldn't have been able to emerge with that much power/control. You'd still have had the Tea Party sorts but they'd be an irritating minority rather than a de facto dictatorship.

Cases are up cause of the best testing

Open the schools!!!

I mean you can’t try to argue logic with him or his people, but cases are high means infection spread is high....so send in the kids, teachers, and staff!!!

Hope to be wrong. Schools open and the Trump admin were right. They don’t get sick. They don’t spread. We have college sports! It was all alarmist

But i think by mid September there’s going to be a lot of anger on top of sadness.

Cases are up cause of the best testing

Open the schools!!!

I mean you can’t try to argue logic with him or his people, but cases are high means infection spread is high....so send in the kids, teachers, and staff!!!

Hope to be wrong. Schools open and the Trump admin were right. They don’t get sick. They don’t spread. We have college sports! It was all alarmist

But i think by mid September there’s going to be a lot of anger on top of sadness.

Reading the FDA is about to approve a rapid saliva covid test.

This should help greatly for people who are on hold from their jobs until they get a negative test. We’ve really failed them (and failed) overall when people who want to work cannot because they end up waiting 4-10 days to get results back.

Now with these saliva tests they could in theory be back to work days or even weeks sooner.

Holds true for school teachers, kids, etc

Percentage of positive tests and hospitalizations are starting to drop quite sharply in California, a delayed response to our rollbacks a month ago.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/california
https://calmatters.org/health/coron...virus-covid-patient-hospitalization-data-icu/

We're also shooting down any waivers to open LAUSD schools. Sadly, deaths are going up, but we're catching up on backlogs. They will eventually drop as hospitalizations do.

The great news is that it seems increasingly unlikely that our health care system will be overwhelmed by this wave. We will have to see what flu season brings.

Last edited:
It goes to show you that this can be managed if you have the leadership and guts to do it properly.

Definitely a great example, well done. I hope everyone continues to stay healthy.

August 5, 2020 | 4:27 PM
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) — The NBA’s bubble is still working.

The league released its latest results Wednesday for coronavirus tests performed on players participating in the restarted season at Walt Disney World, and the numbers are still perfect. Of the 343 players tested since results were last announced July 29, none has been confirmed positive.

That means no player has tested positive since entering the so-called bubble last month. There were two players who tested positive on arrival at Disney, with neither of those making it out of quarantine and potentially exposing anyone inside the bubble.

“The NBA has done an amazing job, right? They’ve been great,” Los Angeles Clippers coach Doc Rivers said. “They’re on us. They’re making us wear our masks. … We get tested every day. We have to do a health app every day. The NBA is doing all the things that we need to do.

“This whole virus, it’s a lot about self-control, self-discipline as well,” Rivers added. “I think not only has the league, but I think the players and everyone, they’ve followed through. We got to just keep trying to do that.”

Everyone inside the bubble must fill out a questionnaire on their mobile device each morning, plus measure their temperature and level of oxygen in their bloodstream. Social distancing rules are in place and mask usage — mandated since the start of the rebooted season — has been an even higher priority this week, with the league stiffening some standards and requiring teams to hold meetings with players so they can be reminded to be vigilant.

“There’s absolutely no doubt that the NBA, under the leadership of (Commissioner) Adam Silver, has done a magnificent job of being visionaries in the sense of looking at the big picture and trying to figure out what unintended consequences may appear,” San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said.

He said players also deserve credit for showing self-discipline.

“I think it’s a great example for the country,” Popovich said.

I mean it’s great the NBA appears to have found a model that works.

Of course it doesn’t really set a good example that you can achieve a virus free atmosphere by becoming rich and famous.

There’s still the ethical question whether providing all these tests and quick turnaround times for sports is more important than the rest of society.

And then there’s this

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1291372410067996676?s=21

IF there turns out to be a vaccine approved and trump is still in office, it may be 100% effective but he’ll find a way to screw it all up.

People won’t trust a vaccine that’s “approved” by him. Everything he touts is a lie and everything he touches dies

Still room for failure! But I definitely think they’ve got it easier than every other league... every other league other than the NHL... who more cleverly just left the US [emoji28]

Of course it doesn’t really set a good example that you can achieve a virus free atmosphere by becoming rich and famous.

There’s still the ethical question whether providing all these tests and quick turnaround times for sports is more important than the rest of society.

Being rich and famous has nothing to do with the required self discipline. Everything else aside, the athletes still have to completely change what they're used to doing and be responsible and less selfish. As we've all had to do.

I agree 100 percent that everyone should have access to the testing that these sports leagues have. But as long as Cheeto von Tweeto is "in charge" that will never happen anyway.

It is not the NBA's fault that the country's leadership is inept.

Everyone should have access to testing. That they don't is the fault of the Trump administration and the Trump administration alone.

And lets not lose sight of the fact that the NBA (and other leagues) are paying for their tests, and conducting them on their own.
Sure its an advantage that they can afford them, but they aren't actually taking anything away from the public at large. The lack of adequate access to tests for the general public, as stated above, is on the government.

And lets not lose sight of the fact that the NBA (and other leagues) are paying for their tests, and conducting them on their own.
Sure its an advantage that they can afford them, but they aren't actually taking anything away from the public at large. The lack of adequate access to tests for the general public, as stated above, is on the government.

Realistically speaking, a lot of businesses will elect to do testing on their own (or organize to vaccinate employees on their own) as much as they are able to. Anyone who can afford it, or at least afford to test or vaccinate key/critical members of its workforce, will.

Florida man strikes again

August 6, 2020 | 11:34 AM

TREASURE ISLAND, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man was arrested after confronting a child wearing a mask at a restaurant and spitting in his face when the boy refused to take it off, police said.

Jason Copenhaver approached the child’s table Sunday and asked the boy if he was wearing a mask, according to Treasure Island police. Authorities did not release the boy’s age.

Police said the 47-year-old then told the child to take it off. He then grabbed the boy’s hand tightly and put his face next to the child’s, telling the boy he now had the coronavirus, according to police reports.

“Victim stated that (Copenhaver) was in such close proximity that spit particles from (Copenhaver’s) mouth landed in his face,” an officer wrote in the police report.

Restaurant workers asked Copenhaver to sit down, saying he appeared drunk and wasn’t wearing shoes. The police report said he also tried to hit an employee.

News outlets reported that he was charged with simple battery and disorderly conduct. He was freed after posting $650 bail. It was not immediately clear whether Copenhaver had an attorney who could comment on the charges.

Police said Copenhaver told them he didn’t know if he had coronavirus and has never been tested.

Friendly reminder that Covid exists in Beirut but unfortunately now windows and a basic functioning society do not. So if you can afford to donate, you should.

That would be very concerning, particularly in the school setting.

Look through the last day or so of tweets from this account:

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1291067755186266113?s=20

So, basically, these kids were suspended for making their school look bad, letters were sent home, students were threatened over the intercom and now lawyers are getting involved. To top it off, two employees have covid and administration hasn't informed anyone.

Last edited:
Look through the last day or so of tweets from this account:

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1291067755186266113?s=20

So, basically, these kids were suspended for making their school look bad, letters were sent home, students were threatened over the intercom and now lawyers are getting involved. To top it off, two employees have covid and administration hasn't informed anyone.

This is absolutely fucking despicable. Holy shit. What in the goddamn hell is WRONG with people

All the teachers, students, and parents across this country should all just do a national strike and refuse to go into any schools. They can't force everyone to go back, after all. And they need to demand that a) everything be done online until schools are considered safe to go back, and b) that everyone forcing these people back and spying on the kids and trying to cover up the complete lack of safety regulations and whatnot face criminal charges. Serious criminal charges. They are putting people's lives at risk and they do not care. They need to face the consequences of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom