Bono's Comments this morning...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
djfeelgood said:
While in no way do I doubt Bono's dedication to his cause. (I truly think he is a noble man for his humanitarian efforts.
I feel that it is not the governments duty to dedicate the money to foreign countries. 1% on foreign aid is a lot of money.

Personally, I feel that the money is better given to private organizations such as DWB, Red Cross and World Vision. By money given I mean by you or I giving 5% of our salary to a foundation that already has the infrastructure there to do its good.

The government's job is to make sure its own country has all its needs met.

You can agree or disagree with the amount, 1%. But I'm sure he was aiming at a number, possibly a high number to some, because maybe it's a negotiating point. You aim high, and hope for it, but maybe take less, compromise, which is still more than 0. Did that make sense :scratch:

:love: Bono :love:

These private charities are doing alot of good things but they don't tackle the problems that Bono and DATA want to be tackled. They build some schools and such, but many more schools need to be built, and the whole infrastructure of the places needs to be set up. There are so many places that don't even have clean water. Disease is rampant. The charities are in there, they haven't been able to get to all of the serious health and starvation places because they don't have the resources. Only governments have the billions needed for real change in that place.

When all is said and done... Is there an alternative to helping your fellow man, no matter what the cost?
I really don't get what the argument is.
Leave Africa unto themselves and the USA doesn't have to deal with it?
Who really believe's the USA and the world doesn't have to. We have all seen where other influences have led.
If not now when will we deal with it?
Oil or not, you have multi-millions of people waiting to be influenced by someone.. do we need another multi-million people under the control of.. (fill in the blank)

I posted this:

Actually, Bono and U2 have given A LOT of their own money:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xml...s to africa

We should probably check our facts before going on mad rants about how Bono is such a hypocrite. U2 has actually given more than $6,000,000, GET IT RIGHT! I can't believe that no one here would be willing to give a couple dollars of their tax money to help the world's poorest people. I'm glad we all have a sense of caring for our fellow man.

I am going to go around this forum and try to get myself kicked out :giggle:

The US is not rich by anymeans ,just look at their deficits!
But on any account i think all of the western countries need to shape up, we can help! We need to look at the resources we use!
We (westerners) represent 20% of the global population but we use/waste 80% of the worlds resources!
We all suck at sharing!

I don't have amy own PC. I wantt o be able to get this on a video or DVD and pop it in wherever I want. Into a DVD player, not a computer...

Is there anyone who can download this and put it on a disc? I read the speech was televised on CNN Pipeline....

If you can help, please email me at Spindle40@hotmail.com and title the mail
Prayer Breakfast."

I'd PAY anyone at this point!!!

Thanks....

PS I was hoping Jim Walis would respond tot his and even meet him. I subscribe to Sojourners online and my local Barnes and Noble has started to carry the weekly print edition.
God's Politics"...talkj aobut an influencial book....AMEN!
(Now if only Alito reads it...)

My Congressman, Republican Spencer Bachus, likes to say that the average cost per person if we gave the $$ to Africa would be about that of an ice cream cone. Come on, you can give up one ice cream cone a year!

djfeelgood said:
While in no way do I doubt Bono's dedication to his cause. (I truly think he is a noble man for his humanitarian efforts.
I feel that it is not the governments duty to dedicate the money to foreign countries. 1% on foreign aid is a lot of money.

Personally, I feel that the money is better given to private organizations such as DWB, Red Cross and World Vision. By money given I mean by you or I giving 5% of our salary to a foundation that already has the infrastructure there to do its good.

The government's job is to make sure its own country has all its needs met.

Just one problem: not all these organizations give your donation 100% to the elected charity.

Samaritans Purse is the only one that all of your money goes to the elected cause.

HA HA HA HA!!! After my Bono post I just posted on FreeRepublic.com about the wiretaps. There was a story about a republican senator saying Bush had the right to wiretap and I posted something like this:

Who cares if a republican says its ok? They will all say it's legal to support the president even if it illegal.

Then I tried to post another message later and this is what it says:

"Your posting privilege has been revoked"

and I can only click on a link that says "okay"!!!

When a different opinion springs up, they SHUT YOU DOWN. Apparently republicans don't like other people's opinions...:giggle:

any further proof that republicans and the ma7ority of their followers are swine?

wow.

SunBloc said:
Like Bono said, there are laws of man, and then there are higher laws that we all will have to answer to sooner or later, regardless of our nationality or religion.. I don't see where all the hate is coming from either. Bono is trying, with the help of a whole lot of willing people, to do something worthy, to help those who desperately need it in Africa.

I give Bono credit for still trying. It's just that right about now the World is caught in the forces between good and evil {thus the hatred so widespread around the world}. I just hope the World can avoid a global confrontation.
Sorry...but at this time my concerns are quite deep

:|

I know now I just got my posting rights revoked again. I brought in my friend to help me out but they smelled a rat and kicked him out too. Oh well at least I tried.

cjboog said:
I know now I just got my posting rights revoked again. I brought in my friend to help me out but they smelled a rat and kicked him out too. Oh well at least I tried.

Wow, that was fast. The thought police are getting mighty efficient.

Great discussion on Bono's comments...:huh:

Now let's beat the shite out of the conservatives in this forum.

I wasn't talking about conservatives on this forum. I was talking about conservatives on freerepublic.com who kick you out of their website if you have a different opinion.

And my links for my discussion with freerepublic.com aren't good any more because they officially deleted every single thing I said. If you scrool through the arguement, you will see "comment #100 removed by moderator, comment #103 removed by moderator", etc. :grumpy:

Last edited:
Well, to be honest...I believe that the ownership of any forum has the right to do with it as they please.

And your problem over there has nothing to do with a discussion of Bono's comments.

If I owned this forum...I would split the thread because it is not anywhere neat the initial posting.

Back
Top Bottom