Bill Clinton get's Pissed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bluer White said:
The more I watch this interview, the more I think that Clinton's outburst was mostly calculated.

Of course it was calculated. It was genius. The whole thing was planned. Clinton's PR team has been on the offensive ever since. Bush is weak, and Clinton wants the Dems to capture Congress this fall, to improve Hillary's chances of winning the White House in 2008.

Bush received a memo 30 days before 9/11, entitled 'Al Qaeda Planning Attacks Inside US,' and did nothing.

MrsSpringsteen said:
"At least I tried"?

I would have to see the whole interview, but that's just lame.

You know what's about ten million times lamer??!!! George W. Bush, getting a CIA memo a month before 9/11, warning him of the attack, and not trying to stop it. That is lame.

I think most people agree that they both dropped the ball. That being said - 8 years is quite a bit longer than 8 months.

In all fairness, for most of those 8 years no one know who they were and at first thought it was an isolated attack.
Home grown terrorism was the biggest event during Clinton's years. I remember the picture of the fireman carrying out the baby in Oklahoma like yesterday.

It's so easy to look back in hindsight.
I don't hold the Clinton or Bush administrations responsible, but instead look at the failure of the bureaucracy that didn't allow the sharing of information between federal law enforcement (FBI) and intelligence (CIA).

The current finger-pointing battle only saddens me.

INDY500 said:
I don't hold the Clinton or Bush administrations responsible, but instead look at the failure of the bureaucracy that didn't allow the sharing of information between federal law enforcement (FBI) and intelligence (CIA).

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Well said.

INDY500 said:

It goes beyond partisan finger pointing, elements within the CIA has actively been leaking to discredit the administration in what looks like a turf war over reform and the State Department is also at odds with the WH; maybe governments can't fight terrorism, maybe they shouldn't be the ones left to do it.

A_Wanderer said:
It goes beyond partisan finger pointing, elements within the CIA has actively been leaking to discredit the administration in what looks like a turf war over reform and the State Department is also at odds with the WH; maybe governments can't fight terrorism, maybe they shouldn't be the ones left to do it.

Who'd you have in mind instead?

I truly admire people who can rise above partisanship, good on you Rudy

Giuliani defends Clinton on anti-terror

By MATT SEDENSKY, Associated Press Writer

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani defended Bill Clinton on Wednesday over the former president's counterterrorism efforts, saying recent criticism on preventing the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks is wrong.

Political bickering over which president — Clinton or George W. Bush — missed more opportunities to prevent the attacks has been escalating since Clinton gave a combative interview on "Fox News Sunday" in which he defended his efforts to kill Osama bin Laden.

"The idea of trying to cast blame on President Clinton is just wrong for many, many reasons, not the least of which is I don't think he deserves it," Giuliani said in response to a question after an appearance with fellow Republican Charlie Crist, who is running for governor. "I don't think President Bush deserves it. The people who deserve blame for Sept. 11, I think we should remind ourselves, are the terrorists — the Islamic fanatics — who came here and killed us and want to come here again and do it."

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice challenged Clinton's claim that he did more than many of his conservative critics to pursue bin Laden, and she accused the Democrat of leaving no comprehensive plan to fight al-Qaida.

Giuliani said he believed Clinton, like his successor, did everything he could with the information he was provided.

"Every American president I've known would have given his life to prevent an attack like that. That includes President Clinton, President Bush," the former mayor said. "They did the best they could with the information they had at the time."

INDY500 said:

i pretty much agree.

however. the perception of the threat was far graver in 2000/01 than it was in 1995/96.

and remember when Clinton went after OBL with those missiles in the Sudan and he was pounded by the Republicans? this was in the thick of the Lewinsky nonsense (which, in retrospect, seems rather middling and a total waste of a president's time, no?) and they mocked him for it, he was right about that, and especially since Republicans tend to stand up and cheer and sing patriotic songs whenever we toss bombs at someone else.

A_Wanderer said:

I agree. SINCE 9/11, Bush (a.k.a El Diablo) has gone on the offensive taking the war to the terrorists. The Patriot Act, NSA programs, finance tracking, Dept of Homeland Security, Afgan and Iraq wars, detainment and interrogation. Some don't agree with this stategy and as you say, many of these programs have been vigorously opposed politically or compromised by suspicious leaks.

I don't mind the debate on how best to go forward or trying to learn from past mistakes but why revisit the past solely to scapegoat?

INDY500 said:

I agree. SINCE 9/11, Bush (a.k.a El Diablo) has gone on the offensive taking the war to the terrorists.

I wish he HAD stuck to taking the war to the terrorists instead of wandering off on this Iraq tangent. Let's see. . .Saudi Arabia has been a hotbed of terrorism with it's Wahabi extremism being coddled there? But we couldn't attack them could we? Of the axis of evil, one nation, Iran was actively supporting and propping up a terrorist organization (Hezbollah). Osma bin Laden was some where in Afghanistan not lunching with Saddam Hussein.

So taking the war to the terrorists? I wish.

Irvine511 said:

but hasn't this turned out to be a very bad idea

Not if your goal is the prevention of terror attacks against Americans. Zero is a pretty good result is it not?

Have there been missteps, setbacks, some questions of constitutionality, and IMO a huge blunder in the execution and timing of the Iraqi invasion, sure. But what's the alternative and can it achieve the same result?

INDY500 said:

Not if your goal is the prevention of terror attacks against Americans. Zero is a pretty good result is it not?

Have there been missteps, setbacks, some questions of constitutionality, and IMO a huge blunder in the execution and timing of the Iraqi invasion, sure. But what's the alternative and can it achieve the same result?

So you're saying it's a good thing we went into Iraq otherwise we'd have had a whole bunch more 9/11's by now?

maycocksean said:

I wish he HAD stuck to taking the war to the terrorists instead of wandering off on this Iraq tangent. Let's see. . .Saudi Arabia has been a hotbed of terrorism with it's Wahabi extremism being coddled there? But we couldn't attack them could we? Of the axis of evil, one nation, Iran was actively supporting and propping up a terrorist organization (Hezbollah). Osma bin Laden was some where in Afghanistan not lunching with Saddam Hussein.

So taking the war to the terrorists? I wish.

All valid points. But unless you want to reinstate a military draft or can convince our allies to send in troops, I'm afraid we're stuck solely in Iraq and Afghanistan.

INDY500 said:

All valid points. But unless you want to reinstate a military draft or can convince our allies to send in troops, I'm afraid we're stuck solely in Iraq and Afghanistan.

True, true. And I don't think we should be leaving Iraq anytime soon either. We're there now, so we're going to have finish what we started, as ill conceived as it was.

maycocksean said:

So you're saying it's a good thing we went into Iraq otherwise we'd have had a whole bunch more 9/11's by now?

Just a reminder. Which president signed a bill into law with the following language?

"It should be the policy of the United States to support efforts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic government to replace that regime."

(hint) He got pissed over the weekend.

Iraq was only part of a new aggressive policy towards terrorism. One could certainly conclude that Iraq has contributed negativley, but I would argue that taken as a whole, the Bush War on Terror has been a success.

Last edited:
INDY500 said:
Iraq was only part of a new aggressive policy towards terrorism. One could certainly conclude that Iraq has contributed negativley, but I would argue that taken as a whole, the Bush War on Terror has been a success.

yes, but nowhere has ANYONE other than Bush thought that a full scale, unilateral invasion of iraq, while still having troops in Afghanistan, was a good idea. no government, other than ours, even thought the WMD intelligence was actionable enough to warrant a full scale invasion.

defend the Iraq War all you want. but don't say others supported the policy when the never did. Clinton seems to be saying that they would support efforts to remove Hussein, which in the context of the late 1990s would mean working with anti-Saddam forces on the ground in Iraq, NOT invading and then occupying the country, something that Bush 1 was unwilling to do.

INDY500 said:

we have oceans and homeland security to thank for that.

Iraq has nothing to do with the lack of attacks on the US since 9-11, and as the NIE has verified, the Jihadist movement has spread with Iraq as the "cause celebre" that recruits angry young men to it's cause.

the alternative would have been a successful invasion and occupation and rehabilitation of Afghanistan. get that done with, and then deal with the rest of this.

you'll also notice that our most ardent Iraq War supporter doesn't even think it's about terrorism. he thinks it's about oil, and the vauge "regional stability," but insofar as how regional stability threatens the world's oil supply (though it's euphamized as "energy supply").

Iraq and terror had nothing to do with one another. until now.

If the Administration had stuck to its guns in Afghanistan the Taliban wouldn't have any power there anymore. Unfortunately, it does. There is a new article by Wesley Clark that argues that we aren't winning the war against the Taliban.

Irvine511 said:

yes, but nowhere has ANYONE other than Bush thought that a full scale, unilateral invasion of iraq, while still having troops in Afghanistan, was a good idea. no government, other than ours, even thought the WMD intelligence was actionable enough to warrant a full scale invasion.

defend the Iraq War all you want. but don't say others supported the policy when the never did. Clinton seems to be saying that they would support efforts to remove Hussein, which in the context of the late 1990s would mean working with anti-Saddam forces on the ground in Iraq, NOT invading and then occupying the country, something that Bush 1 was unwilling to do.

The United States, United Kingdom and Australia all participated in the initial ground invasion of Iraq. More than 25 countries sent troops after the initial invasion, including Japan, South Korea, Italy, Spain. Multiple UN resolutions authorized the invasion including UN resolution 1441 and once the initial invasion was over, UN resolution 1483 authorized the occupation. There is NOTHING unilateral about the invasion of Iraq, and if you can described the 2003 war as being inilateral, then you could also describe the 1991 Gulf War as unilateral as well.

Its not a matter of "actionable intelligence" but whether Saddam has verifiably disarmed or not. That was the criteria that was set up for whether there would be further military action or not in the 1991 Gulf War Ceacefire. Its a well known fact that intelligence agencies under-estimated Saddam's WMD programs prior to the first Gulf War, based on what UN inspectors found in Iraq. That is why further military action would primarily be based on Saddam's level of cooperation and whether he was meeting the requirments of complete and verifiable disarmament.

Bill Clinton went on Larry King Live and stated he supported the actions that Bush was about to take in March 2003 just days before the invasion. His wife supported it as well.

The Clinton adminstration DID support anti-Saddam forces many times during the 1990s, and these efforts were a total failure as Saddam easily wiped out such forces. It became evident to Kenneth Pollack, Clinton's #1 National Security Staff member on Iraq in the late 1990s, that the only solution to the threat posed by Saddam was to remove him.

The reason Bush 1 did not go to Baghdad is because they had succeeded in getting Saddam to agree to a large number of serious demands in the 1991 Gulf War Ceacefire agreement and given the beating the Iraqi military to in the war, plus continued sanctions, the eventual complete disarmament of Saddam within two years through inspections, it was felt that Saddam would be so unlikely to do anything like he did in 1990 again, and would be out of power at least by 1996.

It was the least costly road, and if it had worked like that, it would have been great. Unfortunately, Saddam remained in power and by 1995, inspections and disarmament were not complete and Saddam was completely refusing to cooperate on the issue most of the time. Then in the late 1990s, sanctions and the embargo almost completely fell apart with the entire border with Syria completely open to any sort of trade by 2000.

The world in 1991 was also a very different place than that of 2003. Despite the Cold War coming to an end, there were still a half million Soviet Troops in Eastern Germany plus another half million in Poland, Czechleslovakia, and Hungary. Despite warmer relations and Nuclear and conventional disarmament treaties in place, everyone new there was the risk that the situation there could be reversed and that raised many questions about having a large occupation force in Iraq given the potential difficulties in Europe if the political situation in the Soviet Union suddenly reversed. In August of 1991, it almost did for 3 days as there was a coup attempt in the Soviet Union. No one knows what would have happened if the coup had succeeded, but it shows the risk were indeed there at the time.

Regardless, had Saddam refused to the ceacefire agreement and had continued to fight on, several US Army divisions were ready to drive towards Baghdad if given the order. Several smaller US units were within a 100 miles of the capital already along the Tigris Euphrates River. If Saddam had not surrended to US and coalition demands, combat operations would have continued.

Its ironic, but there were many Democrats in 1992 who actually used the slogan, "he did not finish the job" in response to Bush talking up the 1991 Gulf War. There was strong criticism used in the 1992 Presidential campaign and afterwards about Bush stopping to early or not finishing the job. Given what was known back in March of 1991 and the situation that the world was in at the time, I think Bush Sr. made the right choice. The world had yet to learn at the time just how dangerous Saddam was, and that he was so strong that only a full scale military invasion would be able to remove him from power. The inspections, his lack of cooperation then total defiance, the crumbling of sanctions and the weapons embargo, the inability of anti-Saddam forces to do anything to his strength, his successful resistence of repeated US airstrikes and his ability to continue on in power were not foreseen back in March 1991, except that the Ceacefire agreement did allow the coalition to use all necessary means to bring about enforcement of all subsequent resolutions through resolution 678. Despite that, no one really believed that Saddam would still be in power within 5 years.

Irvine511 said:

the alternative would have been a successful invasion and occupation and rehabilitation of Afghanistan. get that done with, and then deal with the rest of this.

The current occupation of Afghanistan is the most successful occupation of the country in its history. Just in terms of casualties suffered by the occupying country, the United States has taken 173 killed by hostile fire over the past 5 years in Afghanistan. By comparison, the Soviet military had taken 7,223 killed by hostile fire 5 years into their occupation of the Afghanistan.

The United States faces multiple threats, and it does not have the luxury of ignoring all but one of these threats so it can concentrate on it and "get it done". Operations in Afghanistan and Iraq are longterm operation that will take years, but if there is a crises in North Korea, or something somewhere else in the world that threatens US security, the United States is not going to wait until the war in Afghanistan is over to respond. All you do by waiting is allow the threat to materialize and do intolerable damage to the country and the world.

The job wasn't finished in 1991, and it was handled in the only way it could be in the 1990's - a way that yielded a decade of suffering for the Iraqi people and created a goal for Al Qaeda to be set towards.

http://www.nysun.com/article/44113

By JOSH GERSTEIN
Staff Reporter of the Sun
November 27, 2006

Following in President Clinton's footsteps, a prominent Democratic congressman yesterday accused a Fox News anchor of conducting a skewed interview designed to make Democrats look bad.

"I've got to say, Chris, you have an odd view of balance," Rep. Barney Frank of Massachusetts told the host of "Fox News Sunday," Chris Wallace. "I am struck by the tenor of your questions. You advertise this as giving us a chance to talk about what we're going to do, but everything is aimed at trying to put us in a kind of a bad light and look at the most controversial and not very representative things that we plan to do," Mr. Frank said.

Mr. Frank said Mr. Wallace's questions improved after the on-air criticism. Asked how fair Fox is when compared to other news outlets, the congressman said the network is "substantially worse."

"Chris is actually one of the better ones," Mr. Frank added. "Some of them just cut you off if they don't agree with you. I think Fox is by far the most biased news medium in which I ever get involved."

Back
Top Bottom