You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the most generic song they've ever written, any era b-side has more soul than this song, makes me want to cry :sad::sad:

Not quite as good as I expected, but much more better on second listen.

I wish it was more like the Kygo mix.
I wish the line was still "how bad can a good boy be"
I wish the ending was better.

I agree with Irvine that the chorus is insanely catchy to me, and I love Edge's bridge. Gets better with each listen, though I still probably slightly prefer the alternate mix.

Little Things: 9/10
Best Thing: 7/10
Blackout: 6/10

It kinda reminds me of "Salome" in it's verse melody. On initial listen or two, it sounds like it would have been a b-side 20 years ago. Which is OK, I love their b-sides, but I feel The Blackout should have been the lead single.

I like it, makes me feel happy, don't know why people here are saying that it doesn't sound coherent :shrug:. I heard it first thing this morning (I'm in pst) in the vevo video, so maybe that helped?

Reading some of the early reactions to Best Thing I would have thought this was the worst song the band ever created. I'm glad to be proven wrong. I really like it, great bass line and percussion and I can't get the melody out of my head.

Mmm see I would say something like Sweetest Thing of Window in the Skies are more successful as pop songs.

Eh, Sweetest thing maybe, but oh God do hate Window in the Skies. That to me is a mess of a song.

This song is very catchy, has some cool twists that are a bit new for the band, good rhythm section, and to me successful.

I can't wrap my head around people that thought the Kygo mix was good and then hating on this.
Especially people saying the chorus is so horrible. It's the same god damn chorus that we knew would be in the song!! And it sticks in your head for days.

I think people find it plodding cause they heard the Kygo mix first. It was never gonna be that.
I think the ending bridge is one of the best parts of the song, and makes it well above Kygo territory - which was fine, but pretty standard vanilla EDM mix up of a song.

I'm sure people will say, I told you so, when this doesn't make a huge splash at radio, but we all know that no song they release is gonna be a smash no matter how good it is.

It's not going to be my favorite song on the album. But I'd take it over SFS. And that got more YouTube views than any other song off SOI.

I'm guessing this is middle to bottom of the pack, but I still put it about a 6.5 to 7. The Blackout an 8. Little Things... 7.5 so far, have to hear the album version.

So wouldn't U2 be smart to put the official video on YouTube now? Get even more exposure ?

So wouldn't U2 be smart to put the official video on YouTube now? Get even more exposure ?

They have the lyric video up. Pretty standard practice in modern times to put out a lyric video first, and then an official video a bit later.

i'd wait a week to do that. lyric video is up. official video can come next week to keep the momentum up/refresh the YouTube hits for the charts.

Edge has just said that every song on the album was a contender to be a single. And they are all classic and will be played for years to come. BBC radio 2.

A "rocker"? Geez, imagine the prior version.

That said, it's growing on me but it's a totally inoffensive song. Even the pop songs on SOI had more edge (no pun intended) - Every Breaking Wave and California are better.

It's insanely catchy and I enjoy it quite a bit. Sure there are a lot of areas for improvement but the chorus is ridiculously catchy and makes me want to sing it over and over. One of their catchiest tunes since forever.

Not crazy about the song. Have a feeling it will be the one I will frequesntly skip on the album :reject: . Really no sure where they come up with choices for the 1st single.... Blackout kills this song by far IMO.

Youtube video is now up to 5k upvotes!

First listen was how I thought I would feel. Which is positive. Having heard all the leaked clips it was not expected to be blown away. I have been listening to it on repeat (break it up with a song to cleanse the pallet so to speak) and I am liking it more each listen. I give it a :up:

I'd like it a whole lot more if the first chorus didn't end the way it did. My guess is that was sacrificed due to the last minute mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom