You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna take a break from reading about this song and listening to it. I like it better now than on my first listen, but I'm still a bit lukewarm on it. I think a really nice, heartwarming music video (think same vibe as the Sweetest Thing-video) for it would improve my opinion, context always matters.

I keep of trying to think of what to compare it to in their catalogue and I'm failing to come up with much. Perhaps that's a good thing about this song? I do hear a little Crazy Tonight and a little Summer Rain.

https://youtu.be/U_E3jvyItlc

I loved the song since last year and was so excited -- so it's even more of a buzzkill for someone who had the song in their head for a year -- so excited they were actually putting it on the album... i blame Trump!!!!!

The version they put out I'm still enjoying after 10 listens, but think there was a better song there already...

It will be awesome LIVE. Let's hope they kill tomorrow on Fallon.

I see this song having like 10 versions released of it. 3 of them already got released today in this 1 track.

Pretty catchy hook... I hadn't heard any other leaked versions, for what it's worth.

Lyrics, unfortunately, are once again weak. The first verse plods along and is not assisted by Bono's choice of words.

There's a really good song in there, and I'm not opposed to them going for a "pop" song. Seems more natural to them at this stage than overdramatic "rock" like the blackout.

Not sure this is enough to get me to listen to more than a few times, but the hook of the chorus is definitely a highlight for me.

Okay I've gone on a personal roller coaster of reactions to this track but I'm in a better place with it now.

Still, I just can't help but feel they cooked it to death. They had a great hook & a catchy chorus with mass appeal and chopped it up into a song that doesn't blow you away on the first listen.

The first half of the chorus just sounds like it's missing something. It needs some Edge chugging guitar to keep the energy up. Whatever last minute remixes they did likely hurt more than helped after hearing the Sci Fi Soul Mix, That mix is *much* better and likely the version I'll continue listening to.

Regardless, bring on 12/01. I still wanna hear what else they've got.

I agree with a lot of this. My biggest problem at this point is that it just ends. Like it needs 30 more seconds to finish. Wasn't there something at the end of the Kygo version from last year where B&E sang together "the-the-the / the best thing about me (the best thing! the best thing!)"?

Anyway, it's improving my overall mood on a gloomy Wednesday morning, which is why people listen to popular music to begin with, and what the best pop songs do.

yeah. "The Best Thing!" in the background vocal to end the Kygo remix was clutch.

I had to put on headphones to hear that "The Best Thing!" in this mix. It's one of the cooler parts about the song. I too wish the song ended that way.

I'm not sure how you think this sounds anything like most of those—few of whom are indie pop either. Purity Ring are synth pop/witch house, Tame Impala are neo-psychedelia, etc.

Synth pop/witch house? Never heard of that one but I like it :wink:

I know most these indie bands have their own genre (or at least try to label one) but they also have a happy go lucky pop song or 2. I could hear 'Best Thing' on XMU if it wasn't U2. Could easily be a new song from a new band from Brooklyn or LA.

But its from the biggest band in the world.

I like Black Out more but this might catch fire for U2/SOE.

This song (and mix, if you want to focus on that) are straightforward, which is something U2 hasn't done in a long time. For that reason, I really like it. Plus, maybe there's a trojan horse thing going on here. Hook the general public on U2 with TBT. Get them buying SOE, and then hit them with some deep cuts that feature the best things about U2 (i.e., cultivate appreciation rather than force it). Because, why would you walk away, Jay?

Last edited:
but the hook of the chorus is definitely a highlight for me.

I like Edge's little funky bit toward the middle/bridge of the song, but I think the overall highlight for me is the second line of the chorus. "You're the best thing about me / I'm the kind of trouble you enjoy," it seems to rattle off pretty naturally and is very catchy.

I like it but I want a Kygo remix! :lol:
I kind of feel like they chickened out and caved in to something "more acceptable for U2". yeah, the leaked remix version ruined this for me BUT I still like it...this just seems a bit less raw despite the other one being a dance remix!
Overworked and over thought but still a decent U2 song.

Last edited:
I like Edge's little funky bit toward the middle/bridge of the song, but I think the overall highlight for me is the second line of the chorus. "You're the best thing about me / I'm the kind of trouble you enjoy," it seems to rattle off pretty naturally and is very catchy.

Yeah, definitely.

Without having heard the other versions I'm not sure I see the patched together references. Is that sci fi mix legit?

I like it but I want a Kygo remix! :lol:
I kind of feel like they chickened out and caved in to something "more acceptable for U2". yeah, the leaked remix version ruined this for me BUT I still like it...this just seems a bit less raw despite the other one being a dance remix!
Overworked and over thought but still a decent U2 song.

Yep... still glad I didn't hear the beach clips or YouTube remix videos. :D

Not entirely sure what the band are trying to do here.

If they wanted a "hit" (in relative to U2 terms), they surely should've just made this the big, anthemic straightforward rock song that it is. They're trying to dress it up as something other than a very straightforward melody.

It was always a weak song, but they've somehow made it even more limp.

What the fuck is going on in first section of the chorus? It sounds like 3 different guitarists had a go at the song and they just decided to throw all 3 parts in and to see what would happen.

Just awful. They're surely not expecting mainstream radio to pick up on this mess?

Give it some time people! Give it the space it needs to grow on you... The song does end quite abruptly, might be fading into the next song on the album...

Pretty catchy hook... I hadn't heard any other leaked versions, for what it's worth.

Lyrics, unfortunately, are once again weak. The first verse plods along and is not assisted by Bono's choice of words.

There's a really good song in there, and I'm not opposed to them going for a "pop" song. Seems more natural to them at this stage than overdramatic "rock" like the blackout.

Not sure this is enough to get me to listen to more than a few times, but the hook of the chorus is definitely a highlight for me.

I go along with this, I am pleasantly surprised as I didn't like the version we heard before.

Is YTBTAM as good a lead single as The Fly, Desire, WOWY or NYD? No, but it's the best since Vertigo, although if Invisible had counted that would come close.

I'm not a fan of The Blackout and think they made the right choice, I even really like the unconventional shift from chorus to verse around the 1.29 mark.

Don't love it, don't hate it. Does have some interesting elements in parts that then turn into overcooked gloss. I need some time to fully wrap around it, but I definitely prefer The Blackout.

If they wanted a "hit" (in relative to U2 terms), they surely should've just made this the big, anthemic straightforward rock song that it is. They're trying to dress it up as something other than a very straightforward melody.

Then we'd have people screaming "dad rock" "another RAWK song?!" "not expermimental/ambient enough" et. al.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

This place drives me crazy sometimes. I don't see how anyone is so horribly disappointed by this song.

I like it quite a bit. I don't find it patched together at all. Maybe one odd transition from first chorus to the verse, but beyond that I'm really liking it

This is a pop/alt/pop song. If anyone has been listening to radio for the last year, this song fits right in. I love the guitar break not the middle, the chorus soars more now than the Kygo mix and the last love the last bridge, it is really pretty and breaks up any monotony.

I put it in California territory which I think is a great pop song.

Enjoy it folks.
Because I think California is rubbish and was better the first time as a Katy Perry song?

I don't dislike pop U2, I dislike pandering "we're trying way too hard to get the kids to like us" U2.

At least they're not forcing everyone to listen to it this time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom