Worried here, not that impressed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's fine that U2 are "repeating themselves". how much more experimentation can they do? make a country album? make a Polka album? make an irish funeral album complete with Adam on bagpipes? let U2 be U2 and everything will be ok.:wink:

Numb1075 said:
It's fine that U2 are "repeating themselves". how much more experimentation can they do? make a country album? make a Polka album? make an irish funeral album complete with Adam on bagpipes? let U2 be U2 and everything will be ok.:wink:

NOOOOOOOOO...... U2 must re-invent themselves with every album they release. Otherwise they'll become totally boring. :rolleyes:

I think the songs need some more cowbell...
snl_blue_oyster_cowbell.jpg

Totally boring???!!! i don't think U2 have ever created a boring song.you want boring, listen to Linda Ronstadt or Carlie Simon.

I can't think of another band whose music from album to album has been as musically diverse or concept diverse. even their last handful of tours have been diverse and experimental...

i guess experimental is a matter of interpretation.

Overproduced Throwaways

I love U2, but what they do now is not what they used to do. Pop and Achtung baby were so raw and emotional. You can listen to those albums all the way through and not get bored. They had a completely different tone to them. You could feel the bitterness in "Love is blindness" and"Your so cruel" and "Acrobat". Listen to ATYCLB, every song is too poppy and overproduced and when they try to convey emotion, its weak. The same with the new songs, Vertigo is a cool tune, but if you really think about it, theres nothing there. It is throwaway, and from All Because of You and City of Blinding Lights, its sounds like the same overproduced pop tunes from back in 2000. I dont know, I'm not explaining myself very well, but Achtung and Pop were amazing albums and just sounded different(i dont mean the music style nessasirly) but the production I guess. I just dont like hearing U2 sound like they are trying so hard to be hip, its not them they are cool when they are uncool. I have a gut feeling that there will be maybe 2 songs on this album that I will go back too after the album has been out a while, but It will be ignored mosty like the last one for me, with the exception of "Newyork". And for those saying that these new tunes sound and feel like Boy and War, you are insane. Just listen to the solos and emotion from the live performances and studio as well and it will rock your face off. U2's best days are behind them. They will still put out quality tunes, but not ones people or even the fans will remember and call their favorites after the new album becomes old.

Numb1075 said:

Indeed. Actually, I don't think U2 has ever really 'repeated' themselves. Sure, some albums were more innovative than others, and I think most of us can agree that while ATYCLB was a great album, it was also relatively 'safe'. But I think there has been a certain level of exploration with every single album, and this one will be no different.

But I'm not expecting a musical revolution, and like I have said before, those waiting for a complete reinvention every time are bound to be dissapointed. I have no problems with U2 sounding like U2.There is often a certain trade-off between innovation and well, good music. Radiohead's "Kid A" is a good example of that, IMO. It's an amazing album, in a ground-breaking way, it sounds like nothing else. But I also fell they almost went too far with this, and I find myself returning to "The Bends" way more often when I just feel like listening to music that makes me feel good.

I also think that Pop is probably THE most innovative U2 album ever, but unlike some people here, I get very little emotion from it, and I think it seriously lacks energy and passion.

This thread is kind of depressing... all those people who have given up on U2... I respect everyone's opinion, however, and I know U2 attracts people with many different musical tastes, so this is all to be expected. But it honestly blows me away that some of you think the new songs are basically crap. Everything that I've heard so far has blown my mind, and I'm extremely hopeful for this new album.

about Pop-- add in all of the "single versions" they did and rerecord Gone to sound like the live version (not like the best of mix though, it lacked something) and they've got an album thats just as good as anything else theyve done

I love AB, JT & most of their albums, but Pop really doesn't do it for me. Songs like Discoteque, Miami, Playboy Mansion & If You Wear That Velvet Dress really don't give me any kind of feeling or emotion at all (especially Miami & Playboy Mansion--two of the worst U2 songs ever).

I love Radiohead; actually EARLY Radiohead. Kid A & Amnesiac are interesting albums, but that's it: they are interesting. I haven't listened to either or those albums since they came out. I want REAL songs, not general ideas, electronic beats, distorted vocals and sound effects for 50 minutes. I can do that with a Casio keyboard and some voice effects.

I'm surprised that people don't like or love songs like Walk On or Kite from the last album. I find those songs to have the qualities that great U2 songs are all about. We still haven't heard Miracle Drug & Sometimes...; those could be the "classics" you are looking for.

Last edited:
riteshbhatt1 said:
I love AB, JT & most of their albums, but Pop really doesn't do it for me. Songs like Discoteque, Miami, Playboy Mansion & If You Wear That Velvet Dress really don't give me any kind of feeling or emotion at all (especially Miami & Playboy Mansion--two of the worst U2 songs ever).

I love Radiohead; actually EARLY Radiohead. Kid A & Amnesiac are interesting albums, but that's it: they are interesting. I haven't listened to either or those albums since they came out. I want REAL songs, not general ideas, electronic beats, distorted vocals and sound effects for 50 minutes. I can do that with a Casio keyboard and some voice effects.

I'm surprised that people don't like or love songs like Walk On or Kite from the last album. I find those songs to have the qualities that great U2 songs are all about. We still haven't heard Miracle Drug & Sometimes...; those could be the "classics" you are looking for.

the first five songs from the last album rocked but the last 6 songs felt so out of place

Re: Overproduced Throwaways

Bonostwin21 said:
I love U2, but what they do now is not what they used to do. Pop and Achtung baby were so raw and emotional. You can listen to those albums all the way through and not get bored. They had a completely different tone to them. You could feel the bitterness in "Love is blindness" and"Your so cruel" and "Acrobat". Listen to ATYCLB, every song is too poppy and overproduced and when they try to convey emotion, its weak. The same with the new songs, Vertigo is a cool tune, but if you really think about it, theres nothing there. It is throwaway, and from All Because of You and City of Blinding Lights, its sounds like the same overproduced pop tunes from back in 2000. I dont know, I'm not explaining myself very well, but Achtung and Pop were amazing albums and just sounded different(i dont mean the music style nessasirly) but the production I guess. I just dont like hearing U2 sound like they are trying so hard to be hip, its not them they are cool when they are uncool. I have a gut feeling that there will be maybe 2 songs on this album that I will go back too after the album has been out a while, but It will be ignored mosty like the last one for me, with the exception of "Newyork". And for those saying that these new tunes sound and feel like Boy and War, you are insane. Just listen to the solos and emotion from the live performances and studio as well and it will rock your face off. U2's best days are behind them. They will still put out quality tunes, but not ones people or even the fans will remember and call their favorites after the new album becomes old.

I don't know about that. I'm convinced COBL will be one of my favorites. ABOY is so incredibly loaded with guitars I just can't see how you can compare it to atylcb. Aboy and Coble throwaway poppy tunes that could have been on atylclb? Well, one thing I've learned since I've come here is that everyone has amazingly different perceptions of what they here. I think every song U2 has ever made has people who absolutely love it and people who think it's crap. This never ceases to amaze me.:ohmy:

Thanksandy said:
A message to GibsonExplorer: Have a nice time looking forward to 2 of the most boring and overrated bands in the last ten years. Radiohead haven't done anything half decent since OK Computer, the rest if experimental drivel that makes Passengers look like an experimental masterpiece. Kid A and Amnesiac are simply garbage, no matter how many times you listen to it. Thom Yorke's vocals are also nowhere near as good as OK Computer, maybe if he drove the music, rather than the music being in the foreground and him just mumbling then they may become good again.

As for Coldplay, give me a break. Everyone I know, including those working for music companies and who are in bands, feel they are way overrated, with a weak sounding singer, no sense of style or image and over simplistic tunes I could play after learning the guitar after 6 months. They will NEVER be able to create the variety or quality of music U2 have created. They have too many limitations and I feel all their music sounds the same, unlike U2.

Add to the fact the are both depressing bands who could never uplift me or make me feel great. At least U2 have the ability to play sombre, yet also uplifting songs. Radiohead and Coldplay just don't have that capacity.

Thanks for your honest opinions. I used to be very fanatic about U2 to the point that I would not give any other band credit. It seems you are still stuck in this mentality that U2 is the only music worth listening to.

I still listen to my pre-ATYCLB records regularly, just so you'd know I still love U2's work. However, I accepted the fact that U2 has been on decline after Pop, and the new songs so far haven't reversed my position. Added to that, I don't find COBL, ABOY, and Vertigo somber or uplifting.

As for Radiohead and Coldplay not having the capacity to play moving songs, what about the following songs? The Scientist, Fake Plastic Trees, God Put a Smile Upon Your Face, Pyramid Song, Don't Panic, Motion Picture Soundtrack, Amsterdam, Lucky.... Chris Martin and Thom Yorke have the best voices in the business, and their lyrics are poetry at its finest. I can't stand the way Bono writes nowadays. By his own admission, Bono has ditched abstraction and artfulness for a more straightfoward approach that I myself can't stomach.

And the comment about Coldplay's easy-to-play guitar songs can be applied to U2's songs, even more so. U2's songs have always been ridiculously easy to play. Their most complex guitar songs are all found on (gasp!) Pop.

A last note, I never said anything about Coldplay being more experimental than U2. I never said they were even better than U2. But I'd rather be listening to Coldplay and old Radiohead records. Kid A and Amnesiac are crap? Have diehard U2 fans fallen so far into the mainstream that they don't recognize alternative gems when they hear it?

Last edited:
To summarize:

Some of us love the new songs.
(well, we think we do, as the recordings aren't the real McCoy.)

Some of us hate them.

Some of us love POP, even calling it their last great album.

Some of us don't, even calling it their worst album.

Some think U2 need to expirement. If the sound ain't new, their dead!

Some think U2 are just fine being U2, and if an album sounds like War, JT, AB, TUF, etc. put together, it may just be that it's original enough that no one can pin the sound on an earlier album.

Etc.......

See the pattern? This is a band with 25 years of history and hundreds of songs. The fact it's catalog is so strong is a testiment to the non-stop debates that go on here. There's a song for every season.

Personally, I think this band will have the guts to know when they've got nothing left to say. In the mean time I'll trust them not to release a song that reaks of creative desperation... And don't get too caught up in "OH NO!!! The album sounds like U2!!!" Did anyone ever complain that Sinatra and Cash didn't reinvent themselves on every album? Vertigo sees the band having fun again, and I'm having a blast with them. Picking apart poor Mp3's doesn't interest me.

Last edited:
GibsonExplorer said:
Kid A and Amnesiac are crap? Have diehard U2 fans fallen so far into the mainstream that they don't recognize alternative gems when they hear it?

I own five Radiohead albums and Kid A is one of them. I appreciate the expirements that are going on, but the album borders on the line of obtuse. It's nearly "sound as art" only, and sometimes gives you little to sink into. I personally like it, but I also honestly see how most people would hate it.
Conversely, Albums like AB and OK Computer are in the top 25 hall of fame in the history of music.

GibsonExplorer said:
I think both ABOY and COBL are crap. Suddenly, Vertigo sounds like a masterpiece after I listened to those other two songs. Hopefully, the studio versions are much better.

In another thread, I posted a similar, if less harsh :wink: sentiment.

However, I attributed my dislike of the songs to the atrocious recordings. While I'm grateful to the person who made them (as they are better than nothing), in this case, the recordings were so poor I think they did the songs a true disservice. They were as bad as, if not worse than, the Spanish recordings.

Ergo, I will wait until I hear the final studio recordings before making any assessment.

Regardless, while I'm looking forward to the new album and happily enjoying all U2 news tidbits, I'm not overly anxious for it. I guess after being a U2 fan for so long and having seen them accomplish so much, everything they do now is "icing".

... And record after record, the story is the same...
War die-hards can't stand the "experimental" approach of UF, UF lovers find JT beig safe and messianic, not really groundbreaking, JT lovers don't compltely like the bluesy and american roots of R&H, a lot of 80 fans feel alienated listening to AB, and give up after Zooropa (which AB lovers often find weird, because it doesn't have any guitars), then the same AB lovers don't "get" POP, and call it a failure, way too "ironic", and POP lovers (and the "experimental" U2 fans) usually hate ATYCLB because it's safe and not groundbreaking...

EVERY TIME U2 puts a new record out, a lot of people is disappointed... and pissed off... and think about the good old days...

... and I say, just listen to the songs as if they were from some unknown new band... don't try to pretend that they should be this or that way... don't expect too much... and...

...fuck the past, kiss the future!!!

Last edited:
Rastat said:
... And record after record, the story is the same...
War die-hards can't stand the "experimental" approach of UF, UF lovers find JT beig safe and messianic, not really groundbreaking, JT lovers don't compltely like the bluesy and american roots of R&H, a lot of 80 fans feel alienated listening to AB, and give up after Zooropa (which AB lovers often find weird, because it doesn't have any guitars), then the same AB lovers don't "get" POP, and call it a failure, way too "ironic", and POP lovers (and the "experimental" U2 fans) usually hate ATYCLB because it's safe and not groundbreaking...

EVERY TIME U2 puts a new record out, a lot of people is disappointed... and pissed off... and think about the good old days...

... and I say, just listen to the songs as if they were from some unknown new band... don't try to pretend that they should be this or that way... don't expect too much... so...

...fuck the past, kiss the future!!!

Oh my, you are so right. I even remember the Boy fans who said U2 sold out with WAR because it was too commercial.

It's so funny to hear the same story after 20+ years.

I subscribe to your philosophy and am able to find good music in all of their albums.

The album hasn’t even been released and there is critisim already about how un-experimental it is??? Everyone is going off Vertigo and two crappy recordings of the new songs. I guarentte once everyone hears ALL OF HTDAAB they will have a different view of the songs (COBL & ABOY) and the band themselves. And what the hell is all this backlash on ATYCLB? And comparisons to Radiohead? I think a lot of people on these boards are trying to make U2 into something there not. I love Radiohead, but I don’t think we’ll ever hear a U2 album come close to the experimental side of Kid A or Amnesiac. And I don’t know how many times I have to write that ATYCLB was U2’s soul record. It had a conservative sound to it, but U2 were walking into new territory with songs like Stuck, In A Little While, and Wild Honey.

Anyway, City of Blinding Lights is a very touching and moving tune that will have us singing and feeling warm inside at the concerts next year.

Last edited:
What is innovation in music?
Since the Beatles, most people boil down innovation to three things:
1. Sonic Innovation - New textures, using the studio as an instrument.
2. Songwriting Innovation - Wacky time signatures, different structures (not the same "verse, chorus, etc." format)
3. Genre Blending - Like the Beatles' Eastern influence, like Bowie's constant dabbling into disco, space rock, industrial, whatever.

Radiohead, for example, has been innovative in all three ways. Bob Dylan has been innovative in ways 2 and 3. (You can certainly disagree, but this is not the main point.)

But I think this way of looking at it misses out on what I think is the most important innovation. Emotional Innovation. When a group writes a song that conveys an emotion not before expressed into the genre their working in, I love it. U2 have certainly done this kind of innovation. Also, some groups have a very special spirit, a chemistry, which breaks through in their music. The songs, upon heavy analysis, may not be very special, but their is a certain something that comes through the music. (For example, think of some of the Rolling Stone's stuff.) A group may not only bring new emotions to a genre, they may bring a new spirit or a new way of looking at band chemistry.

I love the three types of innovation at the top, but I think that the last type is the most important. I hope the new album explores some new emotional territory. Songs that affect me in a new, or a more powerful, way. The other types of innovation would be nice, I would really like some sonic innovation, but it is not as important as the emotions and spirit of the music.

Wow............How hard must it be for U2 reading threads like these and not to be feel a little disheartened.

Those great lines in The Fly spring to mind..........." Every artist is a cannibal.......every poet is a thief..............all kill kill their inspiration then sing about the grief"........Reinvention in itself can be very contrived regardless of the outcome. These guys don't believe that they are past it or that they are no longer capable of making another true masterpiece - If they did they would have given up a long time ago. I mean they've done reinvention.............Achtung Baby was born out of a band in turmoil........in a creative dilemma........with all the pain of marital breakdown in the background. You can't recreate those conditions out of thin air.

I've no doubt there's gonna be some great songs on HTDAAB and maybe they are gonna cannibalise their back catalogue a little.......and steal a little from their shining moments. But hey......give them a break.........this is still gonna be some of the best music around by a long shot and we all know it...........This new baby isnt' even born yet and already some of us are writing it off.........WHy?........cuz it's gonna sound a little like it's big brothers and sisters?? Hey let's let this baby breathe and stand on it's feet before we knock it down on its' ass.

I'm sure it's gonna make a proud addition to the family.

allkub said:

I've no doubt there's gonna be some great songs on HTDAAB and maybe they are gonna cannibalise their back catalogue a little.......and steal a little from their shining moments. But hey......give them a break.........this is still gonna be some of the best music around by a long shot and we all know it...........This new baby isnt' even born yet and already some of us are writing it off.........WHy?........cuz it's gonna sound a little like it's big brothers and sisters?? Hey let's let this baby breathe and stand on it's feet before we knock it down on its' ass.

I'm sure it's gonna make a proud addition to the family.

Ahhh now theres a good point! I have always said that the music they are creating is still better than anything else out there, but maybe I have been spoiled by there past classic albums. Still looking forward to hearing the new album though.

Listening to what we've got so far, I've come to the conclusion that this will be the most U2-sounding U2 album. Which is odd, since I don't think we can point to any previous album and say, this is what U2 is. Each album is only part of the U2 sound. So the question we all have to ask ourselves, is it acceptable to have U2 sound like U2? It sounds like a ridiculous question if you think about it, but the band's history is that sometimes even they don't find it acceptable to sound like U2.

I've decided it's fine with me if U2 wants to sound like U2, as long as it's taking bits and pieces of old to make something we haven't heard before.

There's always a bit of new and something from the past. Come on. They are 4 people playing the same instruments (usually) so there is only so much you can do. Even the much derided ATYCLB is a bit different (Wild Honey, In A Little While). Soul was new. Bono's pre-marketing as a return to there old sound was off tho. Even small electronic elements to Beautiful Day while commercial were a bit diiferent.

Lots of guitar players only have one sound. When The Edge recalled the past in Beautiful Day people said...rehash. But thats a long time in between without repeating yourself. I have no problem with U2 sounding like U2 just as long as it isn't boring like lots of ATYCLB.

Where did you all download/hear the new songs?

I'm not sure if I want to after reading this thread, but part of me is just too curious...

Knowing myself with the new album I may have a few moments of dislike, but I'll grow to love it...I can't help it. :D

Never mind, I just listened to them at www.u2exit.com

I was more impressed by COBL than ABOY...but it's hard to tell. I, for one, am not going to judge the songs by shitty recordings. Looking forward to hearing them in all of their glory!!

Back
Top Bottom