Wide Awake in Europe Discussion only NO REQUESTS Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll call my local store to see if I can reserve one, and maybe cancel my pre-order if I can do that.

Knowing the area, I can't imagine I'll have trouble picking it up locally. I can't imagine there being a huge rush for U2 in these indie-centric places. :wink:

someone in the band heard Mercy and said "i like it. needs more hiss"
and the leaked mp3 was born.

years passed and it became part of the live set. and a release came around and they said "if we could, more hiss would be nice"

thus, a live version. on vinyl.

the next version will be released exclusively on hornet's nest or desert rattlesnake. (my newe iMac has ports for both)

the next version will be released exclusively on hornet's nest or desert rattlesnake. (my newe iMac has ports for both)

Yeah, I heard they were toying between a vinyl release and a stream from 1000mikes just for that hissing affect they are trying to build on.

Let's be sure we are talking about the same store: Vintage Vinyl Records?

My status is: Preorder

But I've received 2 emails, one acknowledging the order placed, and another acknowledging order processed and awaiting item release.

Shit. I'm gonna have to contact them then! :yikes:

I received this email two days ago:

Thank your for interest in Vintage Vinyl Records products.
Your order has been received and will be processed once payment has been confirmed.
Order ID: xxxx
Date Ordered: 25/10/2010
Order Status: Pending

Complete with random applause, car horns, and "awwwww" groans.

Don't forget the maniacal laugh!

And it'd be awesome if we had drunk roadguy's bottle opening sounds on it too.

ETA: I sent them an email and think I found the problem. :| Usually paypal pays immediately. Now the transaction is still pending. I don't think they accepted my payment yet!

Woah! Got a reply already! :D She said that she hadn't processed my order yet and apologized for the delay, she's going to get everything in gear and the shipping costs will be determined once she receives the LPs for weight and such. So I'll pay those later. :D Sweet! At least I ensured my copy now.

Woah! Got a reply already! :D She said that she hadn't processed my order yet and apologized for the delay, she's going to get everything in gear and the shipping costs will be determined once she receives the LPs for weight and such. So I'll pay those later. :D Sweet! At least I ensured my copy now.

Thanks for the reminder. I just pre-ordered too.
I collect every song U2 has ever released officially. So I want to have this exclusive vinyl. (Plus, it looks amazing! :love: )

:crack:

Thanks for the reminder. I just pre-ordered too.
I collect every song U2 has ever released officially. So I want to have this exclusive vinyl. (Plus, it looks amazing! :love: )

:crack:

You're way ahead of me then! :lol: I'm slowly starting to build a collection but there's a lot of stuff I still miss like 3, 7, Melon.. hasta la vista.. all the fanclub things that I didn't know of because I wasn't a fan. So I'm making up for it now by collecting what I can. :D

And it would look pretty damn cool on the wall. But how big is it? Similar to the Crazy Tonight single or to a proper vinyl album?

:hyper: That'd be neat! Especially with the pretty cover pic.

:uhoh: Though I don't have WAIA on vinyl. I should try to find it, as they're sorta brothers. Haven't seen it anywhere yet tho.

So where exactly are we able to pre-order this release? and has everyone who ordered received a confirmation email so you know it'll be happening?

Which site has the best price for it?

Yeah, I don't know. I would like to get this, as it would be my first vinyl collector's item from the band, but then again, I'm a little skeptical as of right now.
Don't know if I should pre-order just in case or wait until we have official news on it.

I know we're poking fun at these opinions, but it honestly surprises me that there are people who still think this might not be happening just because U2.com hasn't said anything about it. There is way too much information out there for it to be just a rumor, or entirely fake. And since when has U2.com been a reliable, timely source of all U2 information?

What's the harm in pre-ordering? If it doesn't come out, or isn't available from a certain retailer after all, it's not like you wouldn't get your money back if they already charged you.

So where exactly are we able to pre-order this release? and has everyone who ordered received a confirmation email so you know it'll be happening?

I really don't think any of these retailers have any idea how many copies they are going to receive. They are taking pre-orders, but they may end up having to cancel the bulk of them. :shrug:

Assuming it's going to be first come, first serve, it's probably best to pre-order ASAP. It might be a good idea to contact a local shop and see if they will hold one for you. I think Interference may have already maxed out Vintage Vinyl and Ideal Copy's allotments.

I popped into my neighborhood shop on the way home and asked how much they knew about the Black Friday Record Store Event. Who knows how much of this applies across the board, or if this event itself is different, but this is what the guy told me.

Apparently this event, while run by the same group that does the usual Record Store Day, is not the same as the usual Record Store Day, so it might be possible that online retailers may have some copies for sale.

He said they probably wouldn't know exactly what they'll get to sell. They'll put in their orders once the releases are finalized, but they might get stuff they didn't order, and no copies of stuff they did order.

He said in the past, there have been rumors of things that were supposed to be available for Record Store Day, but been delayed for whatever reasons (couldn't get them pressed in time, maybe). BUT! He said that if a rumored release had tracklistings and cover art available, that sounded to him like it wouldn't be delayed.

So make of that what you will.

:)

Thank your for interest in Vintage Vinyl Records products. Your order has been received and will be processed once payment has been confirmed.

Order ID: 3379
Date Ordered: 25/10/2010
Order Status: Pending

Products:
1x U2 - Pre-order Wide Awake In Europe (RSDU2) (12345) $10.99
1x The Doors - Pre-order Doors (mono) (PREDOORS) (12345) $24.99

Totals:
Sub-Total: $35.98
Flat Shipping Rate: $5.99
Total: $41.97

So anyway, we will see what happens. If it isn't legit then hopefully I will still get the Doors first album in mono!

I can't even imagine going to a local record store asking for a U2 release on vinyl without being laughed out of the store by the moppy haired, tight jean wearing hipster manning the registers listening to some totally obscure electronicia/jazz outfit.

Fuck them.

My indie shop people didn't even bat an eye when I answered their question "which release are you asking about?"

This vinyl EP looks great.

It's too bad that I'll probably not be able to achieve one of those 5,000 copies...Then I will have to download it illegally :)
...this will stimulate illegal downloading and piracy...hmmm...

Posted: Tue., Oct. 26, 2010, 2:33pm PT
Print ArticlePrint
U2 to issue live EP
Three-song release part of Black Friday push
By CHRISTOPHER MORRIS

U2 will issue a limited edition three-track live EP, "Wide Awake in Europe," including a previously unreleased song, as an exclusive item for independent record stores on Nov. 26.

Top-selling Irish band's piece will be the key title for "Back to Black Friday," an indie retail event mounted by the organizers of the annual Record Store Day. Nearly 1,400 stores participated in RSD in April this year.

Promotion is designed to build traffic at indie outlets on the Friday following Thanksgiving, the day Christmas shoppers typically crowd mass merchants and mall chain stores.

Limited to 5,000 copies, U2's 12-inch vinyl release will include a version of the concert favorite "Mercy," recorded live in Brussels on Sept. 21. Set will also feature "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" (cut in Dublin in July 2009) and "Moment of Surrender" (captured in September in Paris).

Exclusive product - most of it on vinyl -- from Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Jimi Hendrix and Cee Lo Green, among others, is also earmarked for the Black Friday promotion. EMI Music previously announced a new vinyl boxed edition of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" for the event.

Availability of unique product has spurred lineups at RSD stores in the past, since small allocations of the exclusive collector-oriented titles are quickly depleted. This year's draws included vinyl from Springsteen, the Rolling Stones, John Lennon, Elvis Presley, R.E.M., the Velvet Underground, the Sex Pistols and Sonic Youth.

I can't even imagine going to a local record store asking for a U2 release on vinyl without being laughed out of the store by the moppy haired, tight jean wearing hipster manning the registers listening to some totally obscure electronicia/jazz outfit.

heh that reminds me of High Fidelity:
Barry's Customer: Hi, do you have the song "I Just Called To Say I Love You?" It's for my daughter's birthday.
Barry: Yea we have it.
Barry's Customer: Great, Great, can I have it?
Barry: No, no, you can't.
Barry's Customer: Why not?
Barry: Well, it's sentimental tacky crap. Do we look like the kind of store that sells I Just Called to Say I Love You? Go to the mall.

My Vintage Vinyl order has moved to preorder and the funds were withdrawn from my paypal already.

Me too.

Just want to add "My Vintage Vinyl" are really good. I ordered the Rolling Stones "Plundered My Soul" vinyl single on Record Store Day and they shipped it to me with no issues. I even called to make sure I was able to snag one (small quantities) and the lady was really helpful.

U2 will sell out of these really quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom