Why I Don't Think 'Electric Storm' Will Be "Hard-Rocking" Like The Title Suggests... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2002, 09:05 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:36 PM
Why I Don't Think 'Electric Storm' Will Be "Hard-Rocking" Like The Title Suggests...

When I first heard the title, 'Electric Storm', I was having conniption fits, fantasizing of the sizzling guitar riffs and the thunderous percussion, and all the layers in between. However, after thinking about it, I don't know...

My reasoning is as follows: 'Electric Storm' is the single being used to promote the Best Of, just as 'Sweetest Thing was used for the '80-'90 one. Now, if the band wants a very catchy single like 'Sweetest Thing' to be played to death on all formats of radio, I wouldn't think a hard-rocking song would do the trick. Even Edge said a while back that they were recording "pop" songs (now maybe he meant "Pop" songs?) for the new best of, and that the super experimental hard rocking songs would be saved for the next U2 record.

I hope I'm wrong of course.

Questions, comments, cries of outrage all welcome...

Old 07-30-2002, 09:14 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 04:36 PM
this is outrageous!

no, i agree with you that it prob be a song that will appeal to a wide variety of people.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:14 PM   #3
Acrobat

if.it.was.a.great.hard.rocking.song.,like.Elevation,Mysterious.Ways,Beautiful.Day.,I.think.it.would.get.huge.radio.airplay.....

excuse.the.periods....still.waiting.for.a.new.keyboard.that.has.a.sspace.bar.that.works.....
Old 07-30-2002, 09:20 PM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hitman

excuse.the.periods....still.waiting.for.a.new.keyboard.that.has.a.sspace.bar.that.works.....
BWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 07-30-2002, 09:42 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

it better be a GOOD song.
that is all I ask.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:02 PM   #6
Kid A

Local Time: 03:36 PM
Re: Why I Don't Think 'Electric Storm' Will Be "Hard-Rocking" Like The Title Suggests

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
the super experimental hard rocking songs would be saved for the next U2 record.
don't hold your breath!!

btw, you are not allowed to use the term "experimental" when referring to U2, unless you want to get thrashed by those who just want "good old fashioned songs"
Old 07-30-2002, 10:50 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Hitman

that's priceless!!

Old 07-31-2002, 04:42 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:36 AM
electrical ridge and thorn

You know my thoughts and fears on the rockin theories, Moose Boy.
I think you may be right, if it is the single to promote the Best Of. However, do remember that the 90's Best of is going to be more hard rocking and/or experimental than the 80's Best of was.
With tunes from AB, Zooropa and PoP, it has to be an album that is going to be edgier, and therefore the single should follow on from that wouldn't you agree?
I doubt they would give us another Sweetest Thing type, I certainly hope they don't anyway.
Lynch me now, but Electrical Storm is a kinda cheesy name if you ask me.

I love MG record anticipation threads
Old 07-31-2002, 07:59 AM   #9
Kid A

there is a strong chance that there will be a limited number of tracks from Zooropa and Pop, depending on whether or not ATYCLB is included in the Best of 1990 - 2000
Old 07-31-2002, 08:29 AM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 06:36 AM
All we know is the name at the moment, i fucking love the name at the moment (but i am a sucker for stormy wheather) was wheather spelt wrong then?

I trust they wont fuck it up. well i mean they seem like a smat bunch of dudes
Old 07-31-2002, 10:52 AM   #11
Refugee

Re: electrical ridge and thorn

Quote:
Originally posted by zooropamanda
I don't really think so ... at least not when compared with "The Hands That Built America" ...
Old 07-31-2002, 11:28 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: electrical ridge and thorn

Quote:
Originally posted by zooropamanda
You know my thoughts and fears on the rockin theories, Moose Boy.
I think you may be right, if it is the single to promote the Best Of. However, do remember that the 90's Best of is going to be more hard rocking and/or experimental than the 80's Best of was.
With tunes from AB, Zooropa and PoP, it has to be an album that is going to be edgier, and therefore the single should follow on from that wouldn't you agree?
I doubt they would give us another Sweetest Thing type, I certainly hope they don't anyway.

I love MG record anticipation threads
Okay, I must ask: What is 'Electrical Ridge and Thorn'? I bet it's an Aussie thing!

As far as your theory of the 90s Best of being more edgy, and therefore having an edgier single, I would like to agree but I'm not so sure. The reason: when I listen to the 80s Best Of, I hear much more edge, much more depth, much more -- dare I say -- experimantal music than 'Sweetest Thing' even comes close to. 'Sweetest Thing' was basically a Coke commercial written for U2 by U2. (Okay, you know I don't mean that, Ali It's a sweet song, but a little too sweet for my tastes. Can you say venturing a little too close to the land of 'Yellow Submarine' and 'Octopus's Garden'?) No, but seriously, think of it in a Coke commerical, and it would fit perfectly. But enough about that...

I do agree with you that it won't be another 'Sweetest Thing', but I do think it will have to be very catchy, very -- though I hate using the word -- "mainstream" to be able to fit all formats of pop/rock radio. 'I don't think 'Beautiful Day' was a "hard" rocking song, and neither was 'Mysterious Ways', as Period Boy alluded to -- sorry period boy -- that's too funny (the periods, not your opinion!). 'Elevation' ventured into some harder guitar sounds, but it was still coated in a pop venure. The result was it didn't do terribly well on modern rock or top 40 pop. Whatever, doesn't matter...The point is (do I have a point?), U2 need a single that reminds us a little of 90s U2 in sound, while still sounding current (basically what 'Sweetest Thing' was supposed to do for their 80s catalogue). Not only that, it needs to be a bit poppy to fit on pop radio, where most of the listeners are these days. A song like 'Mysterious Ways' would be perfect. So, all things considered, 'Electric Storm' will probably be a guitar driven pop song, not as heavy as say 'The Fly' but not as poppy as say -- and here it comes... -- 'Sweetest Thing'.

End of discourse. (Thank God! It was painful, wasn't it?)

Ramble amongst yourselves...
Old 07-31-2002, 11:30 AM   #13
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:36 PM

youshouldjusttypelikethisandpisseveryoneoff.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:32 AM   #14
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:36 PM
Re: Re: Why I Don't Think 'Electric Storm' Will Be "Hard-Rocking" Like The Title Suggests

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
btw, you are not allowed to use the term "experimental" when referring to U2, unless you want to get thrashed by those who just want "good old fashioned songs"
"songs"???
I want mindblowing soundscapes that rapture my soul

neh, just kidding
just as long as a song doesn't have a verse and a chorus I'm happy
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-31-2002, 02:22 PM   #15
Refugee

I've always liked the Sweetest Thing.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:54 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:36 PM
Re: Re: electrical ridge and thorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
Can you say venturing a little too close to the land of 'Yellow Submarine' and 'Octopus's Garden'?)
I think someone just has issues with Ringo. But anyway, why shouldn't the single for the Best of the 90s rock? The nineties did. Didn't Hold Me, Thrill Me, Blah Blah do well? Anyway, the band currently can't seem to write a single that won't be a hit and win a Grammy and such, so I'm not worrying about it.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:10 PM   #17
Refugee

This song will be a hit bc U2 is on a roll right now and there's not much they could do to screw it up right now.

I still hope it's a preview of what's to come, giving us a hint of the low fi energy Bono has been referring to.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:22 PM   #18
Acrobat

I think Electric Storm might be more in line with the 90's stuff than ATYCLB since they are using William Orbit as a producer. The producer & the title suggest something upbeat & slightly more experimental IMHO. I think it will be great though.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:32 PM   #19
War Child

oh this si what I kind of said in a way in the othe rElectrical Storm thread. I agree, I doutb it will be rocking. I doubt U2 will ever rock in the way most 20 somethings in the Forum want them to rock. But they will still be awesome and still no one will deny their excellence and it will be enjoyable and we will be happy to have new U2 music.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:09 PM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:36 PM
When they first hopped back in the studio off the Elevation tour, wasn't Bono quoted saying that they were writing a lot of rockers? Wasn't that when the title "Electrical Storm" first arose? Isn't that something of a hint?