Why did The Edge gave up on finding new guitar sounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flying FuManchu said:
In terms of what you mentioned about distortion... that Blow Your House Down track with the guitar part intro and the Fly intro (cello sound) would be cool things for the Edge to explore IMO.

I agree, I like the sound of Edge's guitar on shes gonna blow and in my opinion he has never ever sounded better than when he did on The Fly, especially towards the end of the solo and Bono comes in with the falsetto, absolute musical perfection. "Lovvvvvvee, we shine like a burning star, falling from the sky.......tooooonightttttt"

U2_Guy said:

I hope not. He sounds more interesting when he's trying new sounds for the guitar.

To be honest the guitar technology scene has stagnated, it's all about emulating old sounds. Edge has pushed the envelope as far as it would go (POP anyone?) but he realised that perhaps wasn't the best way to serve the songs. Don't forget he used the same guitar sound from Boy to Rattle and Hum. (Delay + Vox AC30)

rjhbonovox said:

Yeah too right....Bono's too blame "the edge is doing extraordinary things with his guitar" was what he said and I don't see much evidence of it here. Maybe he was talking about something else? Maybe he meant that the edge was cooking the dinner with his guitar or something which would be an extraordinary thing, I suppose.

The Edge's guitar work on this album is extrodinary. A few people who don't know what they are talking about (ahem) are upset that it doesn't sound like what they hoped it would. Fine. I can understand if you say you don't like it, that it is not your style. But to say that the Edge is not doing amazing things on this album is stupid.

TC2290 said:

To be honest the guitar technology scene has stagnated, it's all about emulating old sounds. Edge has pushed the envelope as far as it would go (POP anyone?) but he realised that perhaps wasn't the best way to serve the songs. Don't forget he used the same guitar sound from Boy to Rattle and Hum. (Delay + Vox AC30)

This is a very good post. Jonny Greenwood is in my top three of favorite guitar players, but he has gotten to where a song has to exist around his sound. He has left the scope of the song. Until he comes back Radiohead will suffer.

I would love it if U2 came out and did another heavily distorted album if they choose. If they don't choose there are plenty of other bands out there who are doing it now. Of course, none of them are writting as good of songs as U2.

rjhbonovox said:
He is doing nothing with his guitar. No wah wah, no fuzz hardly any distortion just the chiming and coke riffs from I will Follow to Where the streets have no name. I loved them then but it can get a bit tiresome when he has filled the last 2 albums with it. The tracks are merging as I speak, Crumbs sounds like Walk On and Miracle Drug is not that far away from Beautiful Day and it all stems from the sound of his guitar.

i agree to an extent. and while i like their latest album, i hope edge is ready to paint something new again.

The one thing I really have a problem with here is the comparisons of HTDAAB to ATYCLB. Edge's guitar was almost non-existent on ATYCLB. Apart from his riffs in Beautiful Day, Walk On, Elevation, and certain parts of New York and Kite, it's rather barren of guitar. Stuck, POE, In a Little While (has some nice guitar playing, but nothing spectacular), WILATW (solo is about it), Grace...all these songs are mostly vocals, keyboards, drumbs and bass. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I still think that's a fantastic album (seem to be in the minority on that one) but it's very different from HTDAAB. Edge's guitarwork, while maybe not revolutionary, is features strongly in every single songs here. Even at times it's overwhelming (Vertigo, LAPOE, COBL, ABOY, Crumbs, Orignial of the Species...) but it's still a much more guitar-heavy album than ATYCLB. That was more of a pop album, I'm not afraid to admit that. It's still great, but HTDAAB really is more stripped down, back to their roots like Bono has said frequently. That said, it's certainly not Boy, which, if they had released an album exactly like Boy it would be very embarassing. So...well...I'm out of ideas right now. I hope that was at least a little bit coherent.

Thank you,
Lance.

Lancemc said:
The one thing I really have a problem with here is the comparisons of HTDAAB to ATYCLB. Edge's guitar was almost non-existent on ATYCLB. Apart from his riffs in Beautiful Day, Walk On, Elevation, and certain parts of New York and Kite, it's rather barren of guitar. Stuck, POE, In a Little While (has some nice guitar playing, but nothing spectacular), WILATW (solo is about it), Grace...all these songs are mostly vocals, keyboards, drumbs and bass. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I still think that's a fantastic album (seem to be in the minority on that one) but it's very different from HTDAAB. Edge's guitarwork, while maybe not revolutionary, is features strongly in every single songs here. Even at times it's overwhelming (Vertigo, LAPOE, COBL, ABOY, Crumbs, Orignial of the Species...) but it's still a much more guitar-heavy album than ATYCLB. That was more of a pop album, I'm not afraid to admit that. It's still great, but HTDAAB really is more stripped down, back to their roots like Bono has said frequently. That said, it's certainly not Boy, which, if they had released an album exactly like Boy it would be very embarassing. So...well...I'm out of ideas right now. I hope that was at least a little bit coherent.

Thank you,
Lance.

There's electric guitar all over ATYCLB, actually, every track has an electric guitar melody of some sort(yes, even Wild Honey). Stuck, POE, IALW, Grace. Some beautiful, understated shit. Not the kind of machine gun solo's that make shaun vox drool, but it is everywhere.

MrBrau1 said:

There's electric guitar all over ATYCLB, actually, every track has an electric guitar melody of some sort(yes, even Wild Honey). Stuck, POE, IALW, Grace. Some beautiful, understated shit. Not the kind of machine gun solo's that make shaun vox drool, but it is everywhere.

What I mean is that isn't not nearly as noticable as on any other U2 album. It's certainly always there in one form or another, but my point was in comparing ATYCLB's more subtle guitar work to HTDAAB's more powerful, straight-forward approach. I don't know...it made sense when I was writing it. :)

Tone and effect don't mean shit if they're not in the hands of the right player. There may not be any Zooropa like effects on HTDAAB, but listen to his playing: Vertigo, he's NEVER been this visceral with a riff. HMTMKMKM comes close. LAPOE, Edge plays the blues, like Marc Bolan. Never sounded like that before. OOTS, my God! I love his playing on this track. It's like Edge in The Beatles or Badfinger. Never done that before. AMAAW, have any of you listened past the acoustic and chorus riffs? It's like outer space on that track.

I listened to Achtung for the past few days as well as the 80s Best Of and the additional B-SIDES and do have to say that outside of a few songs in HTDAAB, the Edge definitely had more inspiring stuff/ guitar material back in the old days. IMO the new albums have interesting riffs at the least but the soundscapes don't seem as interesting.

Last edited:
How about you people that complain about Edges guitar pick one up and try to find the simple yet effective rythems that Edge has produced over the years. It is not that easy. Secondly its very difficult to come up with new sounding guitar sounds now since the Electric Guitar has been out for about 50 years now pretty much everything that can be done with it in a conventional sense has been done with it. Until they come up with some new effects or distortions most of what we hear coming out of the electric guitar will have been done at some point in time.

You people have to remember that the guitar has to be written to fit the vocal and to fit the drums and to fit the bass line, its not only about the sound itself, but I would guess that the majority of you are absolutely clueless when it comes to producing music.

One example of a recent U2 guitar development (actually pioneered on the Elevation Tour) is the orchestral accompaniment in tune with the guitar. This is a synth based effect that was introduced to add a more expansive sound to the performance of Still Haven't Found during late Elevation tour.

You can hear what it brings very clearly again if you listen to a recording of Miracle Drug as performed at HQ for the BBC Radio 1 broadcast. Whilst Bono is explaining the background to the song you'll hear a relatively straightforward guitar sound repeatedly playing the opening notes of the song. Then when the song starts for real there is a slight pause whilst this effect is selected and a much wider, fuller, orchestral type sound ensues. It can be slightly annoying when people refer to this as a backing track (like when played Brooklyn Bridge) - its not - it is an Edge developed sound effect.

Of course for really wild noises Bullet the Blue Sky is Edge's showcase. Something wilder for every tour.

The one member of U2 who keeps getting better is Edge.
Brau, nailed it on his last post. It's absurd to say otherwise, honestly.

New guitar sounds? You mean, new effects pedals?

Give me a fucking break. Edge might be the only member of U2 who has progressed on every album. Pick your fights elsewhere.

MrBrau1 said:
Vertigo, he's NEVER been this visceral with a riff. HMTMKMKM comes close.

Visceral? I give you The Fly and Discothèque.

MrBrau1 said:
LAPOE, Edge plays the blues, like Marc Bolan. Never sounded like that before.

Never sounded like that b4? I give you Bullet and Silver & Gold.

MrBrau1 said:
OOTS, my God! I love his playing on this track. It's like Edge in The Beatles or Badfinger. Never done that before.

Never done that b4? He did almost exactly that on Streets (especially the last part).

MrBrau1 said:
AMAAW, have any of you listened past the acoustic and chorus riffs? It's like outer space on that track.

Outer space? No, Zooropa was outer space. AMAAW is... Sting.:huh:

I think Edge has already reached his guitar limits. It's time for more keyboard work from the Edge. He did beautifully in THTBA, RTSS, NYD, October, OOTS -- I think Edge should put the guitars in the backburner for the next album.

Cheers,

J

Maybe Bono should lead on guitar and Edge on vocals on the next album with Adam on drums and Larry plucking at the bass. Then it would really sound like they're just starting out again.

U2_Guy said:

Visceral? I give you The Fly and Discothèque.

Never done that b4? He did almost exactly that on Streets (especially the last part).

Outer space? No, Zooropa was outer space. AMAAW is... Sting.:huh:

Vertigo is MORE visceral than Fly or Disco. You think BBS and Silver & Gold are blues, T.Rex sounding?
Where on Streets does he sound like Badfinger?

Last edited:
U2_Guy said:
Edge's guitar sound was always about "not sounding like a guitar".

Edge himself was always telling journalists that his goal was to try to find different sounds that sometimes the listener would not even know it was a guitar sound. That pursue had it's culmination on the 90's records.

But since ATYCLB, Edge's guitar is just the chiming guitar. Not that this is a bad thing at all. It is still brilliant and better than any other guitar.

Why did he give up on distortions, effects, and on the pursue for new sounds?
What the hell are you talking about? He's changed his style quite a bit on the new record, and the little slide he uses is evidence of that. The new album has a lot of neat slide guitar, and he can go from slide to fretting and back in seconds. I am looking forward to Edge and his custom slide skillz on tour.

Edge has never combined slides and basic guitar playing as good as he does on this album(MD. Sometimes, COBL). There were shades of it in the past(Even Better Than the Real Thing, Kite), but here he is fantastic.

paulrg said:
One example of a recent U2 guitar development (actually pioneered on the Elevation Tour) is the orchestral accompaniment in tune with the guitar. This is a synth based effect that was introduced to add a more expansive sound to the performance of Still Haven't Found during late Elevation tour.

You can hear what it brings very clearly again if you listen to a recording of Miracle Drug as performed at HQ for the BBC Radio 1 broadcast. Whilst Bono is explaining the background to the song you'll hear a relatively straightforward guitar sound repeatedly playing the opening notes of the song. Then when the song starts for real there is a slight pause whilst this effect is selected and a much wider, fuller, orchestral type sound ensues. It can be slightly annoying when people refer to this as a backing track (like when played Brooklyn Bridge) - its not - it is an Edge developed sound effect.

Of course for really wild noises Bullet the Blue Sky is Edge's showcase. Something wilder for every tour.

Erm, this effect is called "Shimmer" and has been used since The Joshua Tree tour (for WOWY). It's also used on Running to stand still on ZOO TV and a shitload of other songs, it's really prominent on the live version of SYCMIOYO.

U2_Guy said:

LAPOE's guitar work sounds nothing like Bullet or SIlver and Gold. Nice try though.

TC2290 said:

Erm, this effect is called "Shimmer" and has been used since The Joshua Tree tour (for WOWY). It's also used on Running to stand still on ZOO TV and a shitload of other songs, it's really prominent on the live version of SYCMIOYO.

On WOWY, I think you're confusing the shimmer effect with his Infinite guitar (aka E-Bow). They do use the shimmer effect with MD, SYCMIOYO, etc. on these mini tours.

MrBrau1 said:

Yes. Edge is only interesting if he's making his guitar sound like a wasp or laser beam. When he plays with his own, signature sound, it's very uncreative. The nerve of him, to actually sound like himself.

Would you prefer Edge to be replaced by someone from Nickleback or some poof band??:eyebrow:

Effects and guitar sounds is just a matter of technology. I'm more interested in the notes Edge chooses to play and his reasons behind it. I am more interested in what he actually plays as opposed to the effects/pedals he uses.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Effects and guitar sounds is just a matter of technology. I'm more interested in the notes Edge chooses to play and his reasons behind it. I am more interested in what he actually plays as opposed to the effects/pedals he uses.

Cheers,

J

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Back
Top Bottom