which band do u think sound most like U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyuk

Refugee
which band from the 80's onwards do u thinks sound or sounded most like U2? for me INXS and THE VERVE

The first time I heard Clocks by Coldplay I thought it WAS U2. Old, recently discovered, slowed-down U2, but still U2.

yes i must admit clocks sounds just like U2 if you play the intro to clocks then go and play the intro to unforgetbale fire its friegtning how similar they are!

deltau922 said:
The first time I heard Clocks by Coldplay I thought it WAS U2. Old, recently discovered, slowed-down U2, but still U2.
:hmm: ...interesting. First time I heard Clocks I thought it was something new from Sting.

As for the question, to my ear there's no one who sounds like U2... although INXS did seem to have a similar energy.

Cant think of anybody that sounds all that much like U2. There is many bands that try to capture the Early U2 sound but they just dont do it very well.

Yahweh said:
Cant think of anybody that sounds all that much like U2. There is many bands that try to capture the Early U2 sound but they just dont do it very well.

Remy Zero a bit.

An old band called (I believe) then Jericho once had a "modern rock" hit in the late '80 that I'd have sworn was U2, I forget what it was called.

In my early U2 days, I used to think Simple Minds sounded like U2. It may be the singer's voice, more than the music itself. But yeah, when Don't You Forget About Me came out, I thought the voice was very similar.

a band called "ours", and i definitely agree on the simple minds call. i thought that was u2 for the longest time!

blindinglights said:
a band called "ours", and i definitely agree on the simple minds call. i thought that was u2 for the longest time!

Off topic, I like Ours. My friend pokes fun at me at the band names: "You too, ours. What band are you going to like next: Us, We, They?"

I don't think Coldplay sounds all that like U2, but they are closer to U2 in terms of their philosophy and approach to music than most other bands I've heard.

hehe that's really funny, I didn't think about that. i don't know too many Ours songs but Sometimes is pretty cool. hey sometimes -sometimes you can't make it on your own . . . these two bands have some strange connections goin on.

The Verve do remind me of U2 a bit, also Radiohead on their second album (but not any of their other stuff).

Well, I don't know, but I have a friend who likes U2 but isn't a total U2 nut, and everytime he hears the beginning of "Clocks" by Coldplay, he mistakes it for Beautiful Day.

Simple Minds.
Back there in 91, when the world was waiting for the new U2 song, the Minds released their See the lights single and many ppl said it was the "new U2 single"... Hehe... Both bands deal with religion, politics, "big themes" and have a passionate singer. The Minds guitar is very Edge-like too. And if you listen to New Gold Dream live from Glasgow 85 with the Bono duet it's hard to tell who's singing what... Kerr and Bono have a very similar sounding live singin voice.

Coldplay and Radiohead (Bends Radiohead) too.

Last edited:
U2_Guy said:
Simple Minds.
Back there in 91, when the world was waiting for the new U2 song, the Minds released their See the lights single and many ppl said it was the "new U2 single"...

See The Lights - that was the song I was trying to remember. Yes, sounds very much like a U2 song.

Good call on "See the Lights"...I heard that track with a buddy and we were listening to it going "Is it U2? It COULD be..." etc. Funny stuff.

When I clicked on this thread the bands that came to mind were Simple Minds, The Alarm, and Big Country...and they're all mentioned here :)

U2_Guy said:
Simple Minds.
Back there in 91, when the world was waiting for the new U2 song, the Minds released their See the lights single and many ppl said it was the "new U2 single"... Hehe... Both bands deal with religion, politics, "big themes" and have a passionate singer. The Minds guitar is very Edge-like too. And if you listen to New Gold Dream live from Glasgow 85 with the Bono duet it's hard to tell who's singing what... Kerr and Bono have a very similar sounding live singin voice.

Coldplay and Radiohead (Bends Radiohead) too.

The song (probably) all in the mind by Oasis on their Heathen Chemistry album has a very 'u2-ish' feel to it.....

maybe when Keane fall out of love with keyboards they will sound a bit like classic u2

There was a band that came out with a one hit wonder right around Achtung Baby where even I was confused, but I can remember the name of the band. The song had something to do with rain.

Remy Zero definately sounds like U2.

Ours I always thought sounded like older Radiohead fronted by Jeff Buckley.

Ryan Adams' 'So Alive' sounds like u2.

Simple Minds definatley has a U2 feel.

Snow Patrol also has a U2 vibe to them.

Back
Top Bottom