What a great album it is!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2002, 01:23 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:00 PM
Zoomerang - you missed ZooTV??? Aw, it was like raw tomato with just the right amount of salt (actually, that's more like Popmart). But, anyway, it was, it was...

1992, Vancouver BC - U2 almost burned down BC Place...It was quite the party.

Old 12-11-2002, 01:37 PM   #22
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:00 PM
i'm getting tired of pop threads too. not because i don't love the album, i do; but because i'm so sick of people chiming in and saying how sick of it they are:

Old 12-11-2002, 05:33 PM   #23
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Better that that piece of shit Zooropa!
Old 12-11-2002, 06:03 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Well, I'm just about a day or so old on this board and have no knowledge of all the in-fighting, so I'l just open my big fat mouth and give my opinions on Pop.

I like it. Do I think it's their best CD? No. Do I think it's their worst? Maybe -- and I only say that because I think U2's worst CD is far better than most bands' best CDs.

It's got some killer songs -- "Gone," "Mofo," "If God Will Send His Angels," and "Please." "Discotheque" kicks my tushie up and down the block every time I listen to it.

But "Miami" and "The Playboy Mansion" do absolutely nothing for me. Those two I skip routinely. I like the other songs, but they're not ones I put on my "best of" compilation CDs.

I think if you look at it as a whole, it's not a great album. I feel the same way about Zooropa -- some songs I love to pieces, some I like, and one or two that I skip.

Tomato, tomahto. Pop, ATYCLB. Right?
Old 12-11-2002, 06:32 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

ya michael, but in 92-93 i was about 10 years old. lol, not really ready to go out to a rock and roll show, you know?
Old 12-11-2002, 06:45 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie

Well said, Michael. I have tried making an "October Appreciation Thread" before and I think probably some of the other neglected albums too, but people just don't seem to have as much to say about those. I don't really know why. Maybe it's because POP was really the first album in U2's recent past that wasn't well-received across the board. I know that there are a lot of fans out there who LOVED POP but also heard all the backlash it received and did not appreciate it.

On the other hand, albums like Boy and October are more than 20 years old...There are probably less people around that have a fresh memory of how those were received. I wasn't even born when Boy was released and was born only shortly after October was released.

I don't really understand why people come to threads to complain about their content. You claim to be annoyed by them, but by complaining, you're only drawing more attention to the thread and to the album.

If people want to discuss a U2 album, ANY U2 album, can't we just let them and leave it alone?

*steps down off soapbox!*
Well said. It does seem like when people try and start threads for other albums that get kinda neglected, not many people reply. If we want to talk more about the other U2 albums, then when someone starts a thread on one of them, reply.

And I agree with what Michael said, too.

Again I say, those of you who don't like "Pop" have your reasons. And that's fine. I personally don't get why you don't like the album, but you don't, so that's okay.

But then why bother replying to a thread that's praising the album-not like anyone who likes the album will agree with you to begin with, so what's the point?

Why not start your own thread about how much you don't like "Pop"? And you can bash the album all you want, and we "Pop" lovers will stay out of it and let you bash. .

Angela
Old 12-12-2002, 11:17 AM   #27
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
If no one posts, we don't have a thread. But even the people who resent Pop threads so much, still insist on posting. I find that very interesting, and I'm honestly not being sarcastic when I say that.
Quote:

That's fair enough, but that's a seperate issue to the complaint of too many Pop threads, in and of itself. You are complaining because Pop threads are condusive to certain opinions about fans and other albums (ie, ATYCLB), and that's different than saying it is flat out wrong to start threads about Pop - which seems to be the popular complaint.
eh?
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-13-2002, 12:41 PM   #28
POP for GIRLS

Quote:

That's fair enough, but that's a seperate issue to the complaint of too many Pop threads, in and of itself. You are complaining because Pop threads are condusive to certain opinions about fans and other albums (ie, ATYCLB), and that's different than saying it is flat out wrong to start threads about Pop - which seems to be the popular complaint.

By the way, this thread hasn't ended up in either of those two categories - yet! (Can you feel a self-fulfilling prophecy coming on? )
Fear not- I am here!

It is a bit peculiar that Pop is the only album that EVER gets these 'wow what a great album' threads and that is very weird, especially since in the overall scheme of things Pop was a flop to most fans and the general public and that is pretty much accepted now by all, including the band, except a couple dozen folks here on this board. Those who like it keep saying why can't we have these threads, I asky WHY do you want another one? There have been so many, all just alike, and as everyone tells me they are tired of my redundant anti-Pop comments me and surely others are sick of the gushing, especially since NO OTHER ALBUM EVER gets this type of thread, oh sure they may be other appreciation threads but they never get emotional or controversial or more than a few responses. It is only POP That draws such deep feelings from fans, and really I don't understand why. I am pretty much a pariah on this board for my dislike of the fucking thing. Yet there are other bands I like and dislike one or two albums but it's no big deal to anyone, but if you hate Pop, (and have the balls to say it here) you are some kind of shunned criminal. It'[s not like that with any other album or any other band. I also agree with what Scatteroflight once said, that these threads are all too similar and all by different 'newbies' it makes me wonder if it's not all the same person/people dragging it all up again for entertainment purposes, maybe not always but sometimes. It is also true that almost all Pop threads end up as fights, and non-Poppers get the blame, why don't you just stay out, blah blah, because as Salome stated few can gush over Pop without bashing the people who didn't 'get it' and then bashing ATYCLB which pisses a lot of people off. Maybe this one won't go that way, but every time I see a 'wow what a great album' thread, I know what it is, same old horseshit, sigh, yawn, why? I still think Pop is a terrible sounding album that gives me the headache and makes me nauseated, literally, and I will never accept it as 'my' U2. They made a mistake, and they atoned for it, it's over, forget it. If you like it l isten to it if you hate it don't if you don't care ignore it . No comments needed.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:56 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

*rolls up sleeves

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl

Fear not- I am here!

I still think Pop is a terrible sounding album that gives me the headache and makes me nauseated, literally, and I will never accept it as 'my' U2. They made a mistake, and they atoned for it, it's over, forget it.

If you like it l isten to it if you hate it don't if you don't care ignore it . No comments needed.
well, thanks to the fact this board is quite boring, i will be happy to be banned after this comment, if mods so feel that they need to.

gypsy, you are one evil bitch. yes, thats right. no need to be surprised, you know i though this of you a long time ago, and this last post is yet another example of why you are the dumbest 40+ member this message board will ever see. are personal attacks necessary? ofcourse not. its really not good that im doing this, but i really dont like you.

read what you wrote. remember, this is a pop appreciation thread...

"i still think pop is a terrible sounding album"

your voice, your writing style is like oil being poured into my ears and knives being shoved into my eyes.

anyway, you go on to say, and i quote "If you like it l isten to it if you hate it don't if you don't care ignore it . No comments needed."

when it comes to english comprehension, what dont you understand? you cannot find a pop thread that you dont reply in and bash. i used to bash atylcb, but you know what, im done with that. its still u2, and afterall, i like u2.

the irony in your words is rediculous. for someone of your age you really should be wiser.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:03 PM   #30
Refugee

The reason

The reason why i posted this thread, is that i was watching the DVD, and the POP-songs really hit me. I haven't been here enough to see all the POP-threads you have been talking about. I just felt to tell you that U2 makes my day even better... POP made my day better that day. Great album... but so are the others aswell...
Old 12-13-2002, 01:04 PM   #31
POP for GIRLS

Re: *rolls up sleeves

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

I've heard that bullshit before. There are never any threads like this for ANY other album and the Pop ones are always the same, like I said in my first post.

Quote:
the irony in your words is rediculous. for someone of your age you really should be wiser.
Someone 'my age' has reached the point where I have been shit on so much in my life I'm going to say what the flying fuck I think and I really don't give a fuck what you think or say. Pop is a failure by all standards but a few opinions on this board and nothing will ever change that. J and I are right and vindicated and if it makes you feel better to cuss me out go right ahead, everybody hates me anyway for hating this fucking CD which only makes me hate it more and I think the only reason I'm not banned is I'm too entertaining for purposes like this. Kiss my ass zoomerang 96
Old 12-13-2002, 02:55 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: *rolls up sleeves

Quote:

I've heard that bullshit before. There are never any threads like this for ANY other album and the Pop ones are always the same, like I said in my first post.

Someone 'my age' has reached the point where I have been shit on so much in my life I'm going to say what the flying fuck I think and I really don't give a fuck what you think or say. Pop is a failure by all standards but a few opinions on this board and nothing will ever change that. J and I are right and vindicated and if it makes you feel better to cuss me out go right ahead, everybody hates me anyway for hating this fucking CD which only makes me hate it more and I think the only reason I'm not banned is I'm too entertaining for purposes like this. Kiss my ass zoomerang 96 [/B]
no, like you said in your first post, people that dont like threads focusing and acclaiming certain criteria which you dont agree with, should be ignored.

somehow, this grand advice gets ignored by you, the majestical royalty of interference (the wanderer, who?).

you can say "so and so and me and right.." all day, but you will continue to look foolish.

simply shut your face, get out of this thread, and we both pretend none of this happened. if its a pop thread, dont go in. if you didnt realize it was a pop thread until you read it, leave without posting. like i said, im trying to follow my own advice when it comes to a few other u2 topics, like atyclb.

your twice my age, i can only hope your intellect will catch up with your years at any moment now.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:57 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: The reason

Quote:
Originally posted by ElectricalVoice
The reason why i posted this thread, is that i was watching the DVD, and the POP-songs really hit me. I haven't been here enough to see all the POP-threads you have been talking about. I just felt to tell you that U2 makes my day even better... POP made my day better that day. Great album... but so are the others aswell...
yes, thats certainly understandable. we do have a lot of pop threads around here, but its a u2 forum. besides you havent been around long enough to know that. do not feel sorry for anything, this thread was going nicely until recently.

whats your favorite song from the album anyway?
Old 12-13-2002, 03:58 PM   #34
Refugee

thx

thanks for that post... it's never easy to pick a favourite, but these days i'm really into if God...(after seeing the great video). And If you wear... (after hearing the jazz-version).
Old 12-13-2002, 05:23 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Re: *rolls up sleeves

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

well, thanks to the fact this board is quite boring, i will be happy to be banned after this comment, if mods so feel that they need to.

gypsy, you are one evil bitch. yes, thats right. no need to be surprised, you know i though this of you a long time ago, and this last post is yet another example of why you are the dumbest 40+ member this message board will ever see. are personal attacks necessary? ofcourse not. its really not good that im doing this, but i really dont like you.

"i still think pop is a terrible sounding album"

your voice, your writing style is like oil being poured into my ears and knives being shoved into my eyes.

anyway, you go on to say, and i quote "If you like it l isten to it if you hate it don't if you don't care ignore it . No comments needed."

when it comes to english comprehension, what dont you understand? you cannot find a pop thread that you dont reply in and bash. i used to bash atylcb, but you know what, im done with that. its still u2, and afterall, i like u2.

ok, that post just made my day!
Old 12-13-2002, 06:44 PM   #36
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:00 PM
Normal

Why is it that every time Gypsy enters a POP thread all hell breaks loose.

Once again EVERYONE KNOWS YOU HATE POP. How many times do you have to post your feelings about it? Cant you just stay out of POP threads? Have you learned nothing by now? There are always going to be newer members that come along and want to appreciate POP, not knowing or realize what happens when they are posted. It's not their fault. Personally I stay out of threads I dont agree with. Why is it so difficult for you to do the same??? You know what's going to happen, but obviously you dont care.

And deathbear there is no reason to call anyone names. You can make your point just fine without calling people 'evil bitch.'
Old 12-13-2002, 06:56 PM   #37
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
I am pretty much a pariah on this board for my dislike of the fucking thing. Yet there are other bands I like and dislike one or two albums but it's no big deal to anyone, but if you hate Pop, (and have the balls to say it here) you are some kind of shunned criminal. It'[s not like that with any other album or any other band. I also agree with what Scatteroflight once said, that these threads are all too similar and all by different 'newbies' it makes me wonder if it's not all the same person/people dragging it all up again for entertainment purposes, maybe not always but sometimes.
dear god, not again.

i find it funny that:
- you feel the need to spread your anti-pop gospel in every thread
- you're so paranoid that you think everyone sits around finding ways to get your goat, or that people really have such little lives that they create gimmick poster after gimmick poster to start them! elvis or sicy could do ip checks to verify (if they had the time, which they don't, and is it even important anyway?) that it's not the same couple people with new accounts.
- you're so hypocritical. it's perfectly okay for you to come in and troll every pop thread, yet you state people shouldn't comment on their love of the album.

in short, grow up, get over it, and stop trolling the pop threads already!
Old 12-13-2002, 07:18 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

in short, grow up, get over it, and stop trolling the pop threads already!
Yeah, that'll happen...When Hell freezes over!

*resists the urge to make 1001 other negative comments and moves on*

My dad just got his new DVD player the other day and I put in the best of DVD (the one that comes with the album)...Man, on MAN!!! I sincerely hope they are playing to release a Popmart show on DVD because watching that performance of "Please" with the awesome sound system and picture quality just completely blew me away. I'm salivating thinking about what Mofo would be like on DVD!!! I think it's the closest I'll ever get to being back there again.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:55 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Normal

Stay out of threads that offend you and grow up already.

Just because you spread your anti-POP views all over this forum other people will not all of a sudden wake up and go, "Oh yeah, it DOES suck!" We all have opinions, and you have more than made yours known. Please lay down your arms.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:15 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Stay out of threads that offend you and grow up already.

Just because you spread your anti-POP views all over this forum other people will not all of a sudden wake up and go, "Oh yeah, it DOES suck!" We all have opinions, and you have more than made yours known. Please lay down your arms.
Oooh...I just had to say that I love your new avatar, LMPA!!!