Vertigo Video - Cool! Instructions here how to see it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i for one am a big fan of this video..... just thinking about crap like the all i want it you video makes this one seem like a masterpiece

I like it also...though it doesn't really make that much sense thematically (band standing on a target, being all wobbly); maybe in a "the Apocalypse is coming" way.

The video does seem to give the song a lot of speed and movement; way better than Elevation (though both vids share the band-being-blown-by-the-wind look). Definitely "less cluttered."

maro_chik said:
I like the video alot, but I don't love it yet. It seems like it could have been accomplished without having to go to Spain though. (ie. green screen/soundstage)

maybe this changes for the better when you see it on a TV screen, it helps

No this couldn't be done on a soundstage really. You couldn't get the scope of some that vast imagery of the epic sound of the album...
And to find a desert to shoot it in, you need to go to Spain, when in Europe. It's the only serious place to find some desert like areas, especially in the south of Spain. I filmed there once and it's a superb resemblance of parts of Nevada or Utah...
The greenscreen would have been a nightmare to light with these kinds of shots, but would definately made it easier to cut out the band for the effectshots...:shrug:

Last edited:
I am glad we got that power outage bit in the song. The video was great!

Flying FuManchu said:
I see some of the Creed influence with Bono where he spreads his arms open wide. Its good that Bono keeps track of modern music.

enough with creed- geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I liked the bit where the band were lowered into the ground and the vertigo rings sort of formed a colliseum-type formation:)

Flying FuManchu said:
Remember the video What's This Life For by Creed... I'm sure many people do not remember the video. It was shot in a dune/ desert-like environment. Hmmmmm.... the influence is there. :ohmy:

I try to forget Creed as much as possible.

Seriously, though. I like performance videos and this was a great performance video. A similar video that emphasizes effects and performance was Staring at the Sun. I like the Vertigo video better. I hope U2 keeps it up though. Beautiful Day was a great video but got followed up by some really bad ones IMO (outside of the Stuck in the Moment video where Bono gets thrown out of the van). U2 needs to keep up the effort by getting the cutting edge guys...

Though I would love to see a Hype Williams type of collaboration just for the fun of it.

Last edited:
Whoops, I thanked the wrong person. I must thank Gorman rather than neutral. But neutral, you're still my hero. :D

And klappie, thanks for sharing your opinion. Maybe I do need to see it on a tv screen rather than a 3 inch Quicktime screen. :shrug:

It'll grow on me and I'll appreciate it more, I guarantee. :wink:

mistyrose said:
Am I the only one who LIKES this version better than the iPod one?

No way. I feel the iPod commercial is actually a bit embarrassing (not the band's fault, it's those incredibly cheesy shadow dancers).

The real video, however? One of their best for sure. I'm glad they kept it simple yet still exciting.

I took some screen caps for those that can't access the video.

vid3.jpg

vid1.jpg

vid9.jpg

vid4.jpg

vid6.jpg

vid8.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't get the video...but....its kind of dumb. I don't get it. Doesn't make sense.

On the plus side, its simple, and not overdone like the crap Elevation video (my sister loves this video, but i don't)

My only complaint is that Bono doesn't rip off his shirt.

But damn, does he look hot :drool:

*looks around*

I think I'm in the wrong forum...

*runs to PLEBA*

PowerSurge said:
Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't get the video...but....its kind of dumb. I don't get it. Doesn't make sense.

On the plus side, its simple, and not overdone like the crap Elevation video (my sister loves this video, but i don't)

how doesn't the video make sense?

It makes perfect sense to me.

The whole explotion and jet stream has to do with a nuclear reaction (atomic bomb). The whole movement and dizzyness of the video alludes to the feeling of Vertigo.
What I think is especially cool is when they are down in the pit (for the bridge of the song) and Bono sings "all of this can be yours". This is clearly from a biblical passage where Satan takes Jesus to the top of a mountain and says "all of this can be yours if you will bow and worship me" (not exact).

It seems everybody loves it...which leaves me with one question:

What the hell is wrong with me???

This could possibly be my least favorite U2 video ever.

:reject:

Bonochick said:
It seems everybody loves it...which leaves me with one question:

What the hell is wrong with me???

This could possibly be my least favorite U2 video ever.

:reject:

OMG!!!! Whats wrong with you!?! Go see a doctor right away! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom