UK Uncut Magazine HTDAAB Preview!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to remark on the whole political subtlety thing.. I don't know anyone who knew what BTBS was about without being told. It's obviously about violence or some unstable situation.. but other than that it's pretty vague.

I have always thought the weakest thing about ATYCLB is the lyrics. They had absolutely nothing on AB or JT, or Zooropa or Pop or UF. Then again, I was much more jaded and cynical when I heard and absorbed ATYCLB, and that trend has continued. So far what I have seen of the lyrics for HTDAAB are much better, though, and I am really looking forward to hearing 'em.

And I personally couldn't care less about how many 'rock' songs are on the album. I was getting sort of annoyed with this whole 'oh if it's a slow song it must suck'. I just want good music. I think tons of U2's best songs are not 'ROCKERS' Miss Sarajevo, One, WOWY, Stay, Please.. etc. Really most of my all-time-favourite songs are not upbeat. They're just good. The 'problem' with atyclb as i see it has nothing to do with slow songs, rather more to do with a little bit of predicitbility (boredom is too strong a word).

end rant. And thanks alot for the transcription, Jim!

Gotta deliver the goods to get the praise. Dont' worry, the new Blender Mag should be out soon stateside.

MrBrau1 said:
I think POE would be a good song if not for the lyric

"Where I grew up, there weren't many trees, where there were we'd tear them down and use them on our enenies"

That line seems so half assed.
Actually, here's the true irony: There is much more going on in this line than meets the eye and, in fact, is one of the most subtle lines in the song! I kind of like the understated reference to the people of Ireland turning their trees into (wooden) ships/boats for war.

How can we be expected to wait till November? Ugh...:|

"Sometimes you can't make it on your own" looks like it's going to be a strong, strong, track.

In my opinion, the best 5 songs on this record are in order of preference:

1. Mirracle Drug
2. One Step Closer
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It...
4. Yahweh
5. Love and Peace or Else

Unsurprisingly, these won't all be singles. The most immediate songs on the album will be.

Hey Slow Loris, you little cutie! Nice to see you meander back into these parts. Thanks for your input. How long did it take you to type that?:wink:

Jaxx said:
I think any song that begins with the line "Heaven on Earth, we need it now" is lyrically doomed from the start.

How about "Grace, its the name for a girl, its also a thought that, changed the world"

That line/ whole song is horrible. POE is a grammy winner compared to Grace.

biff said:
Hey Slow Loris, you little cutie! Nice to see you meander back into these parts. Thanks for your input. How long did it take you to type that?:wink:
To give you an idea, I posted this reply about 5 minutes ago. My fingers work fine, as they are a lot like yours, but it's my strength that gets me every time. I have to use my entire body weight. It's the mouse button I have the most trouble with! They should bring one out called a "Loris" instead of a "mouse".

The Slow Loris said:

To give you an idea, I posted this reply about 5 minutes ago. My fingers work fine, as they are a lot like yours, but it's my strength that gets me every time. I have to use my entire body weight. It's the mouse button I have the most trouble with! They should bring one out called a "Loris" instead of a "mouse".
:lol:

Better a Loris than a mouse, I say. Beauty has its price.
Got any new pics of yourself?:sexywink:

Here's a formal pose I hope to leave for my grandchildren one day. For that, though, I need to find a wife first. Is this a dating site?

sloris.jpg

Not offically, but it has lead to certain "activities" in the past.

Edited to add, go slowly little fellow. In four more posts, you'll no longer be a babyface, and that would be a shame.

Last edited:
The Slow Loris said:
In my opinion, the best 5 songs on this record are in order of preference:

1. Mirracle Drug
2. One Step Closer
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It...
4. Yahweh
5. Love and Peace or Else

Unsurprisingly, these won't all be singles. The most immediate songs on the album will be.

Of these it looks like Miracle Drug and SYCMIOYO are the two contenders for singles from the clips and previews. ABOY sounds like it could be a single also. At 6 minutes, i think City of Blinding Lights may be too long for single status, although it sounds pretty awesome from the descriptions.

Profound Jim, very true. I think that's a great thing too, good songs seem to exist in a life of their own, appealing to us or annoying us depending on who and where we are that day, minute, etc.

And thanks a heap for posting that review, I think down here in NZ I'd of had to wait months for it to arrive, so very much appreciated!!

VertiGone said:

Of these it looks like Miracle Drug and SYCMIOYO are the two contenders for singles from the clips and previews. ABOY sounds like it could be a single also. At 6 minutes, i think City of Blinding Lights may be too long for single status, although it sounds pretty awesome from the descriptions.
Yes. You are exactly right. 'Vertigo' and ABOY are the most immediate songs off the album. ABOY will be a single. So will SYCMIOYO.

wow, ned to go and buy this mag today. Thank god its only a month away now,....been waiting far too long for this album already!

The Slow Loris said:

Yes. You are exactly right. 'Vertigo' and ABOY are the most immediate songs off the album. ABOY will be a single. So will SYCMIOYO.

I know you said it's your favorite, but do you think Miracle Drug will be a single? NME thought it might be a single contender, but other previews have labeled it "slow" which might hinder its ability to be played on the radio. I'm thinking it might be a good change of pace to ABOY and Vertigo. WOWY is a slower song, so i guess there is some hope that the mainstream will get to hear this song.

PowerSurge said:

How about "Grace, its the name for a girl, its also a thought that, changed the world"

That line/ whole song is horrible. POE is a grammy winner compared to Grace.

What?
He's comparing the idea of grace with a girl which works fine by me.

I can think of much worse Bono lines.

U2girl said:

What?
He's comparing the idea of grace with a girl which works fine by me.

I can think of much worse Bono lines.

good for you , :|

IMO, this song is sh*t, probably their worst closing anthem to an album since "Is that All?" But once again thats just my opinion. I respect all other opinions, but it won't change mine.

PowerSurge said:

good for you , :|

IMO, this song is sh*t, probably their worst closing anthem to an album since "Is that All?" But once again thats just my opinion. I respect all other opinions, but it won't change mine.

I absolutely agree. It's a poor song, that's subjectivity of course and it's just my opinion as well.

I do however think Bono should be cut a little slack over the lyrics for Peace on Earth. He wrote them the day of the Omagh Bombing. He probably didn't want to go back and rewrite those emotions that came across, even if they are too direct for some of you.

It's not their best song, but I think it has more heart than most of the songs on ATYCLB. It comes from a place where U2 is best. Teh song itself is not one of their best, but it reminds me of U2 who are less concerned with polishing up the sound and making "Beatles tunes".

It's interesting that both magazines refer to "...Make It On Your Own" as similar to One.

LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE. When I get hold of the album, I have no idea how I'm going to listen to if from the start. Every cell in my body we want to skip straight to this track. It's the only 'beach' clip I just get caught listening to over and over again. That explosion from The Edge at the end. Plug in some headphones and turn it up.... :drool:

When you guys get the CD and pop it in Vertigo will start up. A song you'll have heard a million times by then. Will you listen to it for the sake of listening to the entire album? Or will you not be able to stop yourself from pushing the "skip" button, knowing Miracle Drug is one button push away.

Will you be willing to wait an extra three minutes???

shart1780 said:
When you guys get the CD and pop it in Vertigo will start up. A song you'll have heard a million times by then. Will you listen to it for the sake of listening to the entire album? Or will you not be able to stop yourself from pushing the "skip" button, knowing Miracle Drug is one button push away.

Will you be willing to wait an extra three minutes???

That's a very good question... I think I'll sit through it to build up the tension. :D

Back
Top Bottom