U2 songs where the production makes the song - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2004, 02:23 PM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 11:46 PM
U2 songs where the production makes the song

I was thinking of compiling a mix of songs that I like because of how they were produced, rather than just the songwriting. The song that made me think of doing this was Wilco-"I Am Trying to Break Your Heart". If you're familiar with the song you know exactly what I mean. The studio production makes that song.

My question is, are there any U2 songs that you feel you like because of how they were made?(songs where the FEEL of the song speaks to you just as much as the lyrics, if not more)

I appreciate Zooropa mainly because I love the way it was produced but I'm curious as to see what everyone else thinks.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:46 PM
I love that sound at the beginning of 'Even Better Than the Real Thing', and basically the entire song. Altho I love the live versions, I think becuz the production was so strong w/ this song *and most of the rest of Achtung* it got me 2 love it

Old 12-11-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:46 AM
One Step Closer, Zooropa, Exit (The Crickets) and UF
Old 12-11-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
Acrobat

I dont know much about producing or mixing or editing. But things such as strings and synth used excessively such that you notice is a sign of bad production. Examples:

Hands that built america. Too much strings
Your blue room. Great song, but It sounds too low and the synth bass (i believe) distract from the song. I think it has to be stripped. But then again that was a concept album of sorts.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Zooropa's gotta be on the top of the list. That is such as an awesome song productionally.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:46 PM
All Because of You. I love the electronic 'beeps' (i guess that's what you call them) at the beginning, and at the part before the solo. Great stuff. I also love the wierd-ness in Wake Up Dead Man. putting Van Diemen's Land in there is just plain cool.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Zooropa came to mind first, although I am sure there are others if I really sat down to think about it.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:36 PM   #8
Refugee

If God Will Send His Angels is number one on my list - no doubt. The production literally makes this song.

Red Hill Mining Town is another...
Old 12-11-2004, 10:00 PM   #9
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by ADecentMelody
Zooropa's gotta be on the top of the list. That is such as an awesome song productionally.
Agreed. When I thought "well produced U2 song" Zooropa popped in there right away.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:12 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:46 PM
My initial thought is Some Days Are Better Than Others. The backwards guitar solo is something that is obviously impossible to replicate in the live setting, and the drum sound is very processed as well. The song has a very liquid quality, something I also associate with So Cruel.

The best, and purest element in the song may be Adam's bass playing, but I doubt they could get it to sound that FAT in concert.

While Zooropa (the song) is one of my favorites, some of the sounds on there are a little gimmicky. That's why I would put something like Some Days, or even Lemon ahead of it in terms of production. Lemon is a really amazing piece of work because it's clubby and fun yet really moving emotionally (esp. with the piano work). I think the fact that this is a pretty personal song about Bono's mother (among other things) was lost on a lot of casual listeners, unfortunately.

I think Zooropa as an album is probably U2's finest hour in terms of production. Not having Lanois around to lame things up (and prevent them from REALLY experimenting) let Eno go wild on this one.

The album is STILL ahead of its time, over 10 years later. It sounds like it came from a future that never happened, or something.

laz