Trying to start a U2 fan club in my uni to meet other fans- too far? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:58 AM
Trying to start a U2 fan club in my uni to meet other fans- too far?

I've searched and searched and i cannot meet anyone in my uni who likes them so far. Do any of you think it would be a good idea to try and start a society for U2 fans? My only fear is that maybe i'm taking this too far but i really can't think of any other way. I know there ARE U2 fans there somewhere i just dont know who they are, so i was thinking maybe i can attract them out of hiding by advertising an idea for starting a fanclub inside the uni.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
Gunslinger

Local Time: 09:58 PM
This site is my society.

Old 01-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:58 AM
I thought of that too! I see by your info you're in Scotland, sadly the wrong part or else we could have both started it! I don't know how successful it'd be in mine but I wish there was a way to meet other fans, it's rubbish being the only one sometimes!
Old 01-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Acrobat

You might even be able to meet some here by posting in the "Discotheque" forum.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 06:58 AM
Yeah i tried that already but to no avail. I'll get some info about starting one tomorrow and see if it might actually take off the ground.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
Acrobat

I'm in Edinburgh Scotland. I've met two fanatics at my Christian Union, so maybe thats a good place to go looking!
Old 01-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:58 PM
i have no desire to meet other U2 fans in person. i like that my friends have different interests than i do.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:58 AM
I had a U2 & college experience today. This was the first day of our spring semester and on Mondays I have one class, 6-9pm. First we went over the syllabus, and as an example of one of the writing assignments, the prof. had written "How does systems theory explain U2’s How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb?" Then later on, we all had to introduce ourselves and say one cool thing people could remember us by. The girl next to me said she spent a month in Africa, which is what I always say since there's nothing else that interesting about me, so on the spot I said "well, I'm a huge U2 fan and went to 9 concerts this past year." Viola! 27 heads turn and look at me and they're all saying "wow 9?!?!? that's soo many!!!" and I said "yeah well I know someone who went to 42, if that helps put things in perspective!" Anyway, the prof said we would be talking more during the semester, so I hope everyone else in the class likes U2!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
New Yorker

Some of my friends like their music but wouldn't say they were fans. Or maybe they hide their madness better than I do. But MrsDarcy from here and I are good friends and we've met, we spent the whole day talking U2, so I do have another person I can chat to online or meet up with!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:28 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by chickadee
But MrsDarcy from here and I are good friends and we've met, we spent the whole day talking U2, so I do have another person I can chat to online or meet up with!

I work for my school, fixing computers and printers. One day two summers ago I was working on the printer in the French office. I had my Under a Blood Red Sky T-shirt on, which casual U2 fans don't really pick up on. The dept. administrative assistant was like "nice shirt!" and I was like "nice desktop background!" and then we got to talking....since then, we've gone to shows together, meet on weekends to watch bootlegs (Popmart Santiago this Friday!), and anytime there's a work order for the French office, I grab it and use it as an excuse to chat U2.

This is one of the great things I love about being a U2 fan - just through the music I've met sooooo many new friends I'd never have met otherwise. Most of the people who are now my friends that I met b/c of U2 are a lot older than me, at totally different stages of their lives, or have careers and social circles that never would've overlapped with mine.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:06 AM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland of Gilead
This site is my society.

I only know 1 other person irl who's really into the band, so I get most of my discussion on here.

Though it would be nice to meet some other people from time to time. (my family and friends just don't appreciate it)
Old 02-01-2006, 05:13 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 05:58 PM
A little off topic, but this reminds me that my Uni has a Meatloaf Appreciation Club
Old 02-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:58 AM
i hope is for the food and not the artist
Old 02-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 05:58 PM
It's for the artist, I'd prefer it to be for the food but oh well
Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:28 AM
I mentioned the idea of a "club" here in Newfoundland once in a discussion group. I tossed around the idea of watching the Popmart Mexico show in a lecture theatre at university when it was broadcast. Of the people who responded, one mentioned how "public showings" are illegal, while the others wanted to know what time the show was on, so they could watch it at home Oh well, I still think the theatre thing would've been great.

Perhaps I was just ahead of my time with my U2 appreciation. I don’t know if GibsonGirl finds things different there now.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
I mentioned the idea of a "club" here in Newfoundland once in a discussion group. I tossed around the idea of watching the Popmart Mexico show in a lecture theatre at university when it was broadcast. Of the people who responded, one mentioned how "public showings" are illegal, while the others wanted to know what time the show was on, so they could watch it at home Oh well, I still think the theatre thing would've been great.

Perhaps I was just ahead of my time with my U2 appreciation. I don’t know if GibsonGirl finds things different there now.
That theatre thing would have been great!

MUN's collective interest in U2 is probably just about the same as it was back then. I saw one guy wearing a Rattle & Hum shirt a couple of weeks ago, as well as two or three people wearing Vertigo t-shirts after the concert in Toronto, but that's it.