The Unforgettable Fire - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 01:13 AM
The Unforgettable Fire

I think this is going to be the last of my ‘yipee I have a new album’ threads. I won’t be getting another album for a while, at least not until after the concert in March. I really don’t want to have discovered all of U2’s albums in little over a year. So this is the last one, I promise.

A Sort of Homecoming was really the opening track that I wanted to hear – I was expecting a track of this calibre, with Edge’s ringing guitar, polished rhythm and great vocals. I didn’t know how it was going to sound, but from all that I had heard about TUF, I was half-expecting a track just like this. Originally I though there was too much going on in the background but it just adds to the great sound. 9

Pride Already heard it. 9

Wire was definitely not a track I was expecting. This track actually knocked me back a bit at first – especially the ‘cold man’ vocals part. But I loved it after two or three listens. I give this song a 9, and I reckon Adam owns about 3 or 4 of those points. My new favourite bass line – especially when it kicks in at 0:17. Awesome. The vocals are great, and I love the final verse when it just comes to a climax. Top stuff. 9

The Unforgettable Fire Already heard it. 9

Promenade
Well I’d heard a lot about this song, and I got the album just after this was declared the best non-single or least objectionable non-single from TUF. And I have to say I am quite disappointed. There are three better non-singles – ASOH, Wire and ISS. This song is okay, but it’s too short for my liking. The vocals are great, especially in the ‘And I, like a firework, explode’ part but on the whole too short. It will be a grower, I think. 6

Fourth of July
Why this was included at the expense of much better b-sides I don’t know. What I do know is I have to turn my stereo up almost full to hear it, and it doesn’t go anywhere. I like Bass Trap a lot better than this. 4

BadAlready heard it. [/b]10[/b]

Indian Summer Sky
Like Wire, this was another track I wasn’t expecting to hear. I didn’t think there was going to be any sort of hard-edged songs, let alone two. But this track is a gem. The vocals are great, guitar and bass and drums sound awesome together all tied in. I think the only thing that lets it down a bit are the lyrics – they’re good, but to me they don’t quite mesh that well. Still, a great track. 8

Elvis Presley and America
I would love to hear a reason why Brian Eno believed this track was finished. It has some potential, but it is hard to listen to because without lyrics I can hardly even make out the words, some are missing, some are sung quietly, some are Bonoglese. The instrumental is a bit annoying as well. Far too long as well. 5

MLK
Nice enough, but I was disappointed with it in terms of a closer. I thought it was a great album, but ended kind of on an anti-climax. It’s still a nice track, the instrumental is soothing, and the vocals are good, it actually kind of sounds African in a way. 5

Overall
I think this album has some absolutely terrific tracks, six of them in fact, but it’s let down by some tracks that I think could be better. I reckon the album could be a whole lot better with The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling replacing Fourth of July. But don’t get me wrong – I used to say any album with Pride, Bad and TUF on it is very good. Add three tracks to that – ASOH, Wire and ISS. I think this album is going to be a grower as well. It flows nicely.

And by the way – this is not a first listen review. I’ve had it for over a month.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 AM
When are you going to buy Zooropa?

Old 01-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

yeah hurry up and get Zooropa, you can only go so long without another centrepiece in a band's career!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Re: The Unforgettable Fire

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04

Elvis Presley and America
I would love to hear a reason why Brian Eno believed this track was finished. It has some potential, but it is hard to listen to because without lyrics I can hardly even make out the words, some are missing, some are sung quietly, some are Bonoglese. The instrumental is a bit annoying as well. Far too long as well. 5
Ding Ding Ding! I agree with all of that, particulary the first sentence. That song seems to get a lot of love around here, but I think it should have been left on the cutting room floor. It's not even b-side worthy. It should have been an outtake, to surface on bootleg copies of demos and outtakes.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 AM
i have been on pins and needles waiting for this review

i give this review a 6
Old 01-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #6

Re: Re: The Unforgettable Fire

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

Ding Ding Ding! I agree with all of that, particulary the first sentence. That song seems to get a lot of love around here, but I think it should have been left on the cutting room floor. It's not even b-side worthy. It should have been an outtake, to surface on bootleg copies of demos and outtakes.
I would much prefer Love Comes Tumbling or The Three Sunrises than EPAA.

Quote:
I thought you might have been. I expect most of the forum was. I just wanted to say I have it so I can talk about it.

Zooropa, I'm afraid is a while off. Rattle and Hum will be the next, then Zooropa.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: The Unforgettable Fire

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
Zooropa, I'm afraid is a while off. Rattle and Hum will be the next, then Zooropa.
You're breaking my heart, COBL_04
Old 01-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:13 AM
don't do that to QB.... buy Zooropa...

Old 01-30-2006, 08:46 PM   #9

Well, maybe I could make an exception...

But I'm broke.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Zooropa is just The Unforgettable Fire, played backwards
Old 01-30-2006, 09:44 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
Zooropa is just The Unforgettable Fire, played backwards

:LOL:
Old 01-31-2006, 01:03 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 02:13 PM
they picked Elvis Presley and America because of the way it flowed with the album. And it had that same off the cuffness that Bad had, yet not the same calibre of brilliance. I love "Love Comes Tumbling" but it wouldn't have fit well on the album. Not unless they cut some more songs and written a couple more. I'm just talking about the cohesive factor. As for Zooropa...when will the world come around to this album? It's one of their most infectious outings as artists, and musically and lyrically it's top notch and endlessly experimental. I don't know about you, but I like seeing the different shades of Bono. That's the biggest reason why they went in the direction of "Achtung Baby" "Zooropa" Pop". They were even sick of themselves.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:53 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:13 PM
Promenade will grow on you surely...

The Unforgettable Fire awesome album. EPAA it's the only track I really don't like
Old 01-31-2006, 02:43 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 AM
EPAA is a great song you fools

its called atmosphere people
Old 01-31-2006, 05:08 AM   #15
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
EPAA is a great song you fools

its called atmosphere people
Some people don't understand the concepts of a stream of consciousness and using the voice as an instrument.

If you ask me, the end of EPAA is one of U2's more haunting yet somehow beautiful moments.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Noooo...... You have to buy Rattle and hum next!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:35 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

i give this review a 6

Old 01-31-2006, 08:27 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 03:13 PM
dude...you should really put Rattle&Hum at the bottom of your "albums to get" list!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:34 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

i enjoy reading reviews of albums from people who just bought them...so keep them coming.

EP & America is awesome - it doesn't need a thing
Old 01-31-2006, 12:14 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:13 AM
1) EPAA = umm... I'll pass.
2) Rattle And Hum should be the next album. People diss on it too much. It's got some really good songs. I wouldn't bother rating the live cuts of old songs though. just rate the new ones.
3)Save Zooropa for one of the lasts. Because you wanna save the best for last, but since you probably already have the Joshua Tree, it's too late for that so you might as well pick another