the next album WILL be the last I think - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2002, 06:33 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 04:50 PM
Foxxern, you are correct about the age thing. In order to stay a vital musical force, it is important for a band like U2 to appeal to both the younger and older fans.

This coming from one of those over 35'ers. No offense taken.

Old 03-06-2002, 06:59 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jezebel:
Foxxern, you are correct about the age thing. In order to stay a vital musical force, it is important for a band like U2 to appeal to both the younger and older fans.

This coming from one of those over 35'ers. No offense taken.
I gotta agree. As one of those over 35'ers myself, even I get depressed if I see 25,000 people my age under the same roof. Even when they look as good as me (she said immodestly).

Old 03-06-2002, 07:09 PM   #23
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:50 PM
I don't think I would like to see U2 end up like the Stones or the Who. I saw a tape recently of the Who live in 2000, and though it was cool that Pete was back on electric guitar, Roger Daltrey does not have the voice he had anymore, plus when he spins the mic, he drops it half the time, it's kind of sad...& I love the Who, but they should have given it up when Keith Moon died. As for the Stones, I've got to say, I still think Mick has a good voice, but he looks a lot like Don Knots on stage now. (I thought he was good at the NYC show though.) The Stones are pretty much a Vegas act now. Who knows, maybe rock stars are just not supposed to grow old gracefully. I think U2 can, and will, make records as long as they want. But I'd like to see they stop playing live while they can still deliver the goods. The Beatles stopped touring in their mid 20's. Do you really want to see Bono trying to sing Bad in his mid 50's? It's tough enough on him now....This tour was great, as I'm sure the next one will be. But didn't the man himself say at a certain point it's about self respect?
Old 03-06-2002, 07:23 PM   #24
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
you know...that is not only an ignorant and inane statement, but is really quite offensive.

And what the hell do you know about what he does with his own money? He's not the type to make a big public announcement of his personal monetary contributions to charity. Now THAT would truly be "selling out".

If a public figure recommended we institute change in our debt policies, would you deride them and tell them that they should pay for it out of their own pocket? Hardly. So then why the double standard?

Personally, I am sick and tired of hearing this. It's hypocritical and childish and shows a lack of critical thinking.

I think asinine is a much more pungent and aromatic synonym for an insult than inane, but to each their own I guess...

You ask 'What do you know about what he does with his money'...

I think just to cover all bases, we should ask you 'How the hell do you know he's not one to make a big public announcement' (As he stuffs his ego into the nearest SkyScraper).. because he hasn't made any such announcements?.. Maybe he has not just given any $ to Africa, I don't know anything to confirm or negate that.. Chime in if there is anything there... Thanks..

The statement, 'Why Don't you give your own money as well', or something to that sort, reflects a thread I created in FYM about Virginia opening up a program where people (Liberals) can donate extra money, other than their taxes, to help pay for the programs that they (Liberals) Oh So Clamor For. [Not starting a discussion on this, just pointing out that it is a valid point]

I'd be interested in hearing 'why' such a statement by .. Who was it that posted it.. Edge of North?.. Anyways, Why such a statement is 'ChildisH', and exactly why It shows a lack of critical thinking?.. Ah. Exit to the North.. That's it.. I think it's a perfectly valid point, if anything as a stronger symbolic gesture for someone to donate to their cause more than anything, Whether it be the Liberal Government programs I referenced above, or Bono's Drop the Debt Parade.

Don't be so quick to judge such statements as childish et al.. How old are you? Still in High School?.. We all have our 'idealistic' stages.. You'll pass through it in due time.

L.Unplugged

Old 03-06-2002, 07:33 PM   #25
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
I gotta agree. As one of those over 35'ers myself, even I get depressed if I see 25,000 people my age under the same roof. Even when they look as good as me (she said immodestly).
LOL joyfulgirl!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2002, 08:24 PM   #26
The Fly

what Sula said, part II
Old 03-06-2002, 11:12 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:
Don't be so quick to judge such statements as childish et al.. How old are you? Still in High School?.. We all have our 'idealistic' stages.. You'll pass through it in due time.

Hmmm, I was wondering the same thing about Lemonite: "When is he going to grow up and pass through this 'idealistic' stage?" "When is he going to stop being so childish and self-important sounding?"

Hopefully you will pass through it in due time. We won't wait for you though.

Um, go Irish!

*wonders if it is the old "I am special because I go to Notre Dame" complex - this hopefully will pass too.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:30 AM   #28
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener:

Hmmm, I was wondering the same thing about Lemonite:

Um, go Irish!

*wonders if it is the old "I am special because I go to Notre Dame" complex - this hopefully will pass too.
Ah... Jealousy rearing it's ugly head. That's why so many people dislike ND, and what it stands for, I hate to disappoint you, but that will never pass, And sadly, it is something you will never understand.

Enjoy your night.

L.Unplugged

Old 03-07-2002, 02:11 AM   #29
Refugee

If they can stay cool like The Who, I say keep going. But if they descend into that Rolling Stones area.... let's pray that doesn't happen.

I always think of that quote from Larry at the end of the VH1 Legends show when he says "I don't want it to end, I don't want the experience to end. I know the band might have to record less, and tour less, but whatever it is that's special between the band, I never want that to finish."

------------------
Change is the only constant
Old 03-07-2002, 02:31 AM   #30
New Yorker

ON MTV NEWS they showed a clip of bono after the grammy,s and he says that the next album will blow you all away and its going to be very ground breaking . have you guys herd of this.this clip i saw last night on mtv.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:32 AM   #31
Acrobat

I really hope you're wrong. I agree with everyone else, that if you continue to produce good music, why should you stop? They still seem to be having fun, so I hope they continue. Of course, if they do stop, at least we have lots of music to continue to enjoy!
Old 03-07-2002, 02:34 AM   #32
Ana
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Another Time, Another Place, in The Electric Co. ; behind the Shadows and Tall Trees
What did you expected Larry to say?
They've been doing this for 20 years and they're rich enough to buy Ireland

But seriously:
I think age doesn't count much
I feel U2 will continue rocking our cotton socks for still a loooooooong time
Old 03-07-2002, 02:45 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: maze of your imagination, where the streets have no name, lol
Local Time: 09:50 AM
Iggy Pop- old and famoose
Cher- eeek! hopefully bono will never have plastic surgery but shes old and famoose too
Old 03-07-2002, 02:52 AM   #34
Babyface

I saw Crosby Stills Nash and Young at the Garden last month. They played for 3 and a half hours. Their are all between 58 and 60. Their tour has sold out and been a critical success all along the way, as it was in 2000. They are performing new stuff at the concerts.

Look at Springsteen, Tom Petty, Neil Young, The Who, Carlos Santana, Sting, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Aerosmith, CSNY, John Cougar Mellencamp, for starters. All well over 45, all still writing music and touring. For me, and only me, this group, along with U2, Moby, DMB, and Pearl Jam are the only shows worth seeing in terms of rock and roll.

Now, you still want to insist that U2 is "over" at 45? These people developed and defined what we now call rock and roll...and perhaps they can decide what the "age limit" is. Personally, I hope there isn't one.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:28 AM   #35
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsmullen:
this wont be their last...they've got a contract until 2010. much more u2 to come!

alison

The Beatles were contracted till 1975, but they went to court and got that terminated 5 years early.

However the members of U2 seem to have a different relationship towards each other than the Beatles did during their latter years.

So hopefully that means they wouldn't even consider having their contract terminated.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:46 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
I dont want to be bombarded with cow-dung and ancient pies over this.....but age really DOES matter..........even over the simplest things..............sorry...
Old 03-07-2002, 08:35 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by EXIT_TO_THE_NORTH:
think about it...they'll all be nearing 45 by the time the next album (prob. Oct. 2003 rel.) and tour concludes. Can anyone here really say they could see them bowing out at 45 plus? If they do go on, I doubt they tour.
A year and a half to complete the new album, to me, spells 'if this is our last, lets blow the doors off on the way out.' ...that they'll try to create THE U2 masterpiece. But that's easy to say.
Or maybe it's because they figure with God, oh, I mean Bono, trying to right the world, it will take this long to finish. I just don't see why, with having eight demos now, they can't skip the european tour, and record the new album, release it by Oct. in time for the holidays...????
What ever happened to riding the ATYCLB wave Bono mentioned?
if it's another mainstream pop album like ATYCLB, I hope it is their last. You can respond if you want, I didn't say I disliked ATYCLB, but to me it's U2-lite, and I'd rather just have them move on than make another attempt at selling records.

Old 03-07-2002, 10:04 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:50 PM
U2's next album WILL NOT be there last. Anything can happen. Just think, it was only 5 years ago that POP! came out and all the assfucks "in the know" took a giant shit on it. Now, after the success of ATYCLB, the same assfucks are hailing POP!'s genius as an album. U2 won't be going away anytime soon. Look at The Who. They never go away. Hell, their first "farewell" tour was in 1982!

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!
Old 03-07-2002, 10:26 AM   #39
The Fly

Sorry but I do hope U2 do stop making records as a band after the next one. I just don't want to remember them as being a bunch of uncool, unpopular, greying late 40s early 50 year olds.

Sadly, once artists are past the age of 42 it seems they become unpopular. U2 have always prided themseleves on popularity and wide appeal. At the moment they are still on peak commercial form. If they do one last album in the same vein as ATYCLB and do everything they can to make it perfect then I will be delighted as a fan.

Appearance wise I don't want U2 to go on for too long because they'll be like the Stones and be remembered as a bunch of greying, 40/50 year olds. The funny thing with ATYCLB was although they had reached 40 cept for Edge they looked younger than they did for Pop. I remember being shocked at how old Bono looked with his cropped hair and withered eyes. Adam also looked really grey. With ATYCLB they solved the problem with Bono has grown his hair back and he shows no signs of balding. It's dyed jet black so he looks really young. Adam has also dyed his hair as well. Larry has remained as a ageless as ever while the Edge still has his hats to hide his bald head. He needs to dye his goatee though!

But it is not just on age and appearance. U2 simply have no further musical directions to take and explore. If they took any new directions they would lose popularity and go like R.E.M. They would also be too old to master any new directions properly though it is amazing how young they sound on Pop despite being mid/late 30s. However, the likelihood is that they will stick with an ATYCLB direction. If they did make anymore albums after this next one they would just be the same in style and steadily worce than the previous one. People would get bored and lose interest in U2. People would criticise U2 and they would get a bad reputation. All I'm saying is let's have one last amazing album and then people can celebrate the great body of work that U2 have created with their reputation intact.

Remember, nothing ever lasts forever. However, I would like it if they still toured ocasionally though.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:37 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoo Station:
Appearance wise I don't want U2 to go on for too long because they'll be like the Stones and be remembered as a bunch of greying, 40/50 year olds. The funny thing with ATYCLB was although they had reached 40 cept for Edge they looked younger than they did for Pop. I remember being shocked at how old Bono looked with his cropped hair and withered eyes. Adam also looked really grey. With ATYCLB they solved the problem with Bono has grown his hair back and he shows no signs of balding. It's dyed jet black so he looks really young. Adam has also dyed his hair as well. Larry has remained as a ageless as ever while the Edge still has his hats to hide his bald head. He needs to dye his goatee though!
First of all, Adam dyed his hair practically white for Popmart. His natural colour is brown, isn't it?
Second, I don't know about you, but I think Edge's goatee is fine as it is. It would look odd if it was dyed IMO. It looks more natural when its grey.
Third, what is the big deal on appearance? Beyond the vocals, you can't hear appearance on albums. If they look bad but still make brilliant music (which goes against your theory), would you not listen to it because of their looks?

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988