The 'I don't seem to like the new album' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear the Unforgettable Fire/ Passengers vibe but it could just be because of Eno/ Lanois. I think Edge isn't as on fire as people make it out to be. He has some cool moments but he just sounds uneven.

After listening a second time I completely agree and for me it is The Edge who can make or break a song, a life show or in fact even an album. This is something very personal as I see all different people find different things/aspects most rewarding in songs/shows and albums.

There is some very cool Edge stuff on this album but you can almost hear Eno taking over/spicing things up sometimes with synthesizers/keyboards sounding like a guitar for example. It could ofcourse be Edge himself playing those but it doesn't sound like Achtung Baby's Until the end of the world for example which is a real masterpieces "guitarwise".

so by that logic if they repeat any three seconds of music, it needs to be changed, well they should starting by throwing larry right out of the fucking band then, and as for powerchords, sorry edge, you've already played them...ur redic

The little bits of other songs are painfully present. It's not like you have to go back and study it. It's there....Just like the guitar solo in Breathe. It has the end of the Pride solo in it.

Look, let me air my grievances with you and then leave you in peace:

Nearly half your posts are made up of claims (often out-there or simply untrue) that a new song has "stolen" a part of a previous one.

Usually you get responses taking issue with that statement, but instead of addressing their response, you post another statement about a different song. It's quite obvious that your intent is indeed to rile people up. Your modus operandi is instantly recognizable as that of a forum troll.

You've also previously stated your intent was to join this forum in order to see if it's "true" that we're all "rabid U2 fans", and you soon after asked us kindly to perform fellatio on certain parts of their bodies. You've told us your intent. We know your intent. Don't hide it, we're not stupid.

That's my issue with you. I'll stop worrying about it now, as I'm sure you'll step over the line at some point. Then the moderators will deal with you.

This is also not directed towards anyone hating on the new album. That's totally your choice and opinion, and I respect it.

After listening a second time I completely agree and for me it is The Edge who can make or break a song, a life show or in fact even an album. This is something very personal as I see all different people find different things/aspects most rewarding in songs/shows and albums.

There is some very cool Edge stuff on this album but you can almost hear Eno taking over/spicing things up sometimes with synthesizers/keyboards sounding like a guitar for example. It could ofcourse be Edge himself playing those but it doesn't sound like Achtung Baby's Until the end of the world for example which is a real masterpieces "guitarwise".

I'm glad you see something special in the guitar on this album because I don't. All the slide guitar stuff sounds like Holy Joe. We've heard that playing before.

"Too much Brian Eno/Passengers"

To me that was one of the great things about this album. I despise this decade's U2. Such boring albums. (except for the song Elevation, that was pretty cool).

Maybe we contribute very different attributes out of working with Eno/Lanois thinking it may be them? As we were not there with them and U2 while making the albums we never know what input they really give. Also my favourite albums are produced with Lanois and Eno, so it's not the single reason to blame them but on this one I have to agree on the thought of Tripoli (not using his words though) that they might have been too much involved.

Look, let me air my grievances with you and then leave you in peace:

Nearly half your posts are made up of claims (often out-there or simply untrue) that a new song has "stolen" a part of a previous one.

Usually you get responses taking issue with that statement, but instead of addressing their response, you post another statement about a different song. It's quite obvious that your intent is indeed to rile people up. Your modus operandi is instantly recognizable as that of a forum troll.

You've also previously stated your intent was to join this forum in order to see if it's "true" that we're all "rabid U2 fans", and you soon after asked us kindly to perform fellatio on certain parts of their bodies. You've told us your intent. We know your intent. Don't hide it, we're not stupid.

That's my issue with you. I'll stop worrying about it now, as I'm sure you'll step over the line at some point. Then the moderators will deal with you.

This is also not directed towards anyone hating on the new album. That's totally your choice and opinion, and I respect it.

Easy solution....ready? Don't get riled up! Ignore me. :wave:

but why join a chocolate cookie forum to only diss chocolate cookies?
join a cheesecake forum instead and leave the rest of us alone

No one joined this forum to bash U2. People joined this forum because they like U2 as a band but have the right to dislike certain things they release. This isn't Nolineonthehorizon.com

Some IMHO's

The songs may not be stadiumfillers but at least there is someting happening and it is sort of a new diretion

After the midlifecrisis toiletresult called HTDAAB this is a wondrfull piece of work

Bono sounds like he had fun again and his voice is thin but very good

Edge is not on fire with the exception of 2-3 songs and has not been since a LONG time. He went from audible drivingforce to a bandmember which is not a good developement

larry is drumming again after a long holiday

Adam is cool

Eno is the man

How could I? you don't even get it to begin with.

Please explain how someone's sexual orientation got brought up on a music board. I want to hear what you meant by that. I'm sure there are some gay fans somewhere on this site that would like to hear your explanation as well. Don't pussy out now. :heart:

Keeping in spirit with the thread:

My biggest complaint with this album is that they've overproduced the hell out of Bono's voice.

It's most obvious on I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go crazy Tonight, but you can hear bits of it elsewhere. Songs like those will end up far better live.

My biggest complaint with this album is that they've overproduced the hell out of Bono's voice.

It's most obvious on I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go crazy Tonight, but you can hear bits of it elsewhere. Songs like those will end up far better live.

Did the vocals on MOS bother you? Did they sound too high and forced? It startled the hell out of me first time I heard it. It still bugs me.

Well I think you miss the point, I'm not sure if you do this on purpose but it seems like you do it a lot.

Of course music is subjective. That's fine.

But when you try and sell your opinion as a fact, like U2 used to have creative control now they let this tool Lanois have too much control, that's not just "I don't like cookies". This poster has no clue how much creative control Lanois had, he has no clue how much Bono wanted or didn't want this direction, but his speculation was sold as fact. And when you allow that, then all real discussion goes out the window.

Good God nsome people don't seem to have the capacity to understand what I'm saying.

When I tell you this album sucks (which I don't think at all) how would that in any way affect your opinion on the album? Fact: Everyone here knows taste is subjective. Everyone. So why with every post do we have to remind eachother that we're stating our own opinion when it's OBVIOUSLY the case. You don't need to tell someone to say "IMO' because you know it's their opinion. You just want the satisfaction of seeing them say it. And all of us know that no one is the authority on how this album was made.

thats another fear of mine. with all the vocoder use these days im afraid that they added a few notes to his wailing that he otherwise wouldnt produce naturally. If thats the case then this album has nothing for me because thats the little bit i like.

the only problem i have with the album is Bono. Everytime the music starts up I get really excited and then he starts singing....I dont like his melodies or lyrics.
Otherwise, the music is brilliant.

thats another fear of mine. with all the vocoder use these days im afraid that they added a few notes to his wailing that he otherwise wouldnt produce naturally. If thats the case then this album has nothing for me because thats the little bit i like.

No, his range sounds real, but they've smoothed out quite a bit of it. There's less of a "roughness" to it.

This is coming from someone blown away by the album. I just wish they would've left the voice alone.

although it took about 3 months for me to love AB being a fan since 1983 (long before some of you were born I guess! lol) I been waiting for AB2 not hearsd any of the new songs yet!

No one joined this forum to bash U2. People
yeah, yeah, I know
people joined because they loved the band to bits in the 90s blah blah
hurts them so much to see what the band have become yada yada
still funny enough have nothing positive to say ever
even in threads about albums they actually supposedly love they rather use their time slating what they don't love
and of course it's all just their opinion

well, my opinion is that that's a load of bull
yes, that's my opinion
people like that are whining brats who should spend their energy on something positive
because now, to me, they come across as sad trolls
and I'm sure they care as much about my opinion as I do about theirs

Back
Top Bottom