The first U2 song where you "got it"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love that there are so many different answers to this question.

I think that speaks volumes about our beloved band, they move people for so many different reasons.

It's a beautiful thing.

The very first time they peaked my interest was Red Rocks performance of SBS, when MTV played it over and over. There was this wild Irish kid waving this flag around and I was hooked! They really locked me in as fan with the Joshua Tree and especially ISHFWILF.

mysterious_jen said:
seeing Even better than the real thing on video hits for the first time is burned into my brain !!! and from then it was taping every u2 song off the radio :giggle:

mysterious_jen said:
oh yeah - Even better than the real thing ! then One .

:love: :hi5:

Zootlesque said:

I like how voicing negative opinions about anything U2 related is considered a crime by some here.

No one said anything about a crime. It's just that we finally had a thread that stayed on topic for 6 pages, that has to be record.

We all talked about that song where we got it, and some even mentioned Stuck and you just had to come in and bash it.

You will go out of your way to bash the 00's and go out of your way to worship and defend late 90's, no matter how off topic or unwarranted it is.

I have no problem with bashing and I have no problem with praising, but at least make it warranted don't become a caricature.

I honestly don't go out of my way to bash ATYCLB or HTDAAB. At least I don't think I have. Feel free to post a link and "pwn" me if you've seen something in the past. But whenever it is brought up, like Stuck was in this thread, I voice my opinion. I just found it crazy that a song that made somebody a fan made me less of a fan. But it happens. People get into the band at different times. I guess I should just shut up about these 2 albums from now on.

Zootlesque said:
People get into the band at different times. I guess I should just shut up about these 2 albums from now on.

No, speak you mind all you want, but just try and do it when it's warranted, you do and you have gone out of your way on many occassions...

Zoots! :madwife:

I asked you a question!

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Does the mix have the line "I never thought you were a fool, but darling look at you"? The omission of that line is the only thing that killed the official acoustic version for me. That's my favourite line, and the acoustic version sounds SO good, but without that line, I can't love it :( So please tell me it has that line, and if so, I want it :)

No it doesn't have that line or the next one "You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight. These tears are going nowhere baby". And frankly, I'm glad it doesn't. The line you mentioned is not bad but I'm not a fan of these lines here ^. :shifty: Nonetheless, it's an awesome mix! If you still want it, pls post your email. COBL_04, I'm gonna send it to you very soon!

I don't see what was wrong with Zoots bringing up his opinion on Stuck, I brought up the fact that it's unpopular on this site and I'm aware of that, and Zoots gave a reason as to why he didn't like it :shrug: seemed warrented to me

Thanks Zoots :up: That mix actually sounds amazing and it would be so perfect if it had my favourite line :(

On the bright side though, I'd forgotten how much I actually like that song. I don't listen to it often, but I do really like it on occasion :) And I'm gonna have to go with Coolian and say I prefer the live versions that start acoustic and go full-band :up: (As long as they've got my favourite damn line :madwife: )

ISHFWILF has always felt like it was a part of me (I don't know how to describe how a song feels like part of me, but I think some of you can understand what I mean). Anyway, it & my first fave, New Year's Day will forever remain at the top of my 'Favorites' list. But when I really think about it, I believe Pride is my answer to the question.

Growing up in the South, I heard my share of disparaging remarks towards Dr. King, i.e. he was a troublemaker, an uppity n***er, etc, etc. :( I never understood the hatred towards him & was fascinated to get the viewpoint of someone not just from outside the South, but from outside the country entirely. I would have NEVER made the comparison between Dr. King & Jesus, but when U2 asked "...what more in the name of love?", I got it - These guys were saying IMPORTANT things, they were trying to make a difference & they just excited the Hell out of me. They still do. :heart:

Last edited:
Honestly, in terms of the lyrics themselves to Stuck, they sound rather generic popish, sure. But knowing what inspired it, and then hearing the acoustic version, the emotion expressed just made it so much more for me.

I had heard stuff from ATYCLB on the radio at the time, but none of it really got to me. It was my first listen to I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For that got me.

I've become a huge U2 fan gradually so it wasn't the case of one song changing everything. Pride was the first U2 song I absolutely loved, but I think that the first moment when I felt truly pulled in happened when I was watching the live performance of God Part II from Lovetown tour during U2 marathon on Rage. It was probably the performance itself more so than the song; I remember that when Bono ran and jumped on the stage with lights going off around him I just felt something click in my brain there and then.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No one said anything about a crime. It's just that we finally had a thread that stayed on topic for 6 pages, that has to be record.

We all talked about that song where we got it, and some even mentioned Stuck and you just had to come in and bash it.

You will go out of your way to bash the 00's and go out of your way to worship and defend late 90's, no matter how off topic or unwarranted it is.

I have no problem with bashing and I have no problem with praising, but at least make it warranted don't become a caricature.

Well I was the one who used :mad: in reply to it, but I still didn't have a huge problem with it. I kinda agree about the bash 00/praise 90 thing :reject: dont hurt me :eek: :lol: but it was only an opinion and it wasn't a straight out belting.

Thanks for the link by the way!!

Sophomore in college in late 1980. Shopping for new vinyl and saw Boy at Mother's Records in Grand Forks, ND. Remember hearing about U2 in a Rolling Stone article. Bought their only copy and I Have Followed ever since.

cm said:
Sophomore in college in late 1980. Shopping for new vinyl and saw Boy at Mother's Records in Grand Forks, ND. Remember hearing about U2 in a Rolling Stone article. Bought their only copy and I Have Followed ever since.

That's pretty awesome to watch them develop from a fledgling post-punk band to the biggest band in the world and beyond.

It wasn't necessarily one song, but three. Back in 1987 a neighbor had just gotten a new CD player, which back then was a big deal. The CD he bought with it was The Joshua Tree. I remember it so clearly today - we were in the basement of his house, and he put the CD on, and I remember hearing Streets, ISHFWILF, and WOWY in order and being absolutely mesmerized. Of course, the rest of the album was incredible as well, but it was hearing those three songs in order that got me hooked.

Originally posted by JCOSTER
New Years Day....it was hook line and sinker.

Absolutely right ... there will never be another U2 song like this one. :up:

It was Bono's vocal ... Need I say more ?? :bow:

The BEST U2 song there is !! ... There, I've said it !! :D

i've always appreciated U2's music, but honestly it was atyclb that just bit me and never let go. it was that album (in particular, BD) that made me revisit their albums and sent me into that downward spiral to the pathetic fangirl i've become.

Haven't gotten "it" yet anywhere to a U2 song...

ETA: oooohh...that's the trouble with only reading the titles and not the first post, and then misinterpreting the whole thing, oops :wink:

SBS

Back
Top Bottom