The crowd in Popmart Mexico 1997 is better than Milan in 2005...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
In many ways...

The helped Bono sing his falsetto in With Or Without You when he struggled. They sing "Early morning, april 4th, a shot rings out in the memphis sky"

Not to mention great reception on every single song...

Cant say i agree in any way with this am afraid. European crowds are widely regarded as the best crowds to play to. The crowds on the Boston and Chicago were like rent-a-corpse! cant recall being amazed by the Mexico crowd either.

This is going to turn into a "my country's balls are bigger than yours" debate.

theu2fly said:
In many ways...

The helped Bono sing his falsetto in With Or Without You when he struggled. They sing "Early morning, april 4th, a shot rings out in the memphis sky"

To be fair, the crowd in Mexico were watching a much better concert so no wonder they were in a better mood.

I was at the Milan concert. Just a quick note, did you watch the Elevation part?

Virtually every man or woman in the audience moved their hands. During New Year's Day, the entire stadium sang along to the piano parts of New Year's Day. The repeat of With Or Without You chorus "oooh"-part lasted forever, and yes, we did help singing it, but he wasn't struggling with his voice, so you can't even make that comparison. And also, due to the mixing, the audience sounds less loud. Everyone went nuts during Vertigo 2. And you haven't seen them during Streets. That was incredible. Everyone, including those in the back, was totally dedicated to showing their U2-love. Watch the video again, you won't see that energy far back in the Mexico stadium.

It was an amazing night, and the crowd was awfully much into it. I have never seen such a crowd before, the Dublin crowd was stale in comparison. When a full concert surfaces someday, you will see that I'm right ;D

But the Mexico is still the superior concert, yeah.

Last edited:
theu2fly said:
In many ways...

:up:

<--- Not a fan of "sexy Bono" :yuck:

God Part III said:
I was at the Milan concert. Just a quick note, did you watch the Elevation part?

Virtually every man or woman in the audience moved their hands. During New Year's Day, the entire stadium sang along to the piano parts of New Year's Day. The repeat of With Or Without You chorus "oooh"-part lasted forever, and yes, we did help singing it, but he wasn't struggling with his voice, so you can't even make that comparison. And also, due to the mixing, the audience sounds less loud. Everyone went nuts during Vertigo 2. And you haven't seen them during Streets. That was incredible. Everyone, including those in the back, was totally dedicated to showing their U2-love. Watch the video again, you won't see that energy far back in the Mexico stadium.

It was an amazing night, and the crowd was awfully much into it. I have never seen such a crowd before, the Dublin crowd was stale in comparison. When a full concert surfaces someday, you will see that I'm right ;D

But the Mexico is still the superior concert, yeah.

I fully agree. Milan rocks!!!!!

I didn't attend either in person, but the judging off the videos and comparing them....

Mexico City's crowd was off the charts..

Who cares? I don't go to see a crowd.:|

And really unless you've been to both, you can't really judge, clever editing can either boost or downplay a crowd.

These arguments are just stupid, unless you were actually AT both concerts you don't know which was better. So many factors like the mixing come into play.

Now, the US-shot shows like Boston and Chicago you can tell the audiences are pretty much typical US lame in comparison to Slane/Mexico/Milan.

If Sarajevo WAS the greatest it would be because there were so many Italians there......

:wink:

I think another point should be addressed if we are talking about the official video/dvd releases of these two concerts; the directors.

Hamilton directed Milan so therefore there was very little "crowd love" given where as Mallet who directed Mexico gave lots of love to the crowd...

toscano said:
These arguments are just stupid, unless you were actually AT both concerts you don't know which was better. So many factors like the mixing come into play.

Now, the US-shot shows like Boston and Chicago you can tell the audiences are pretty much typical US lame in comparison to Slane/Mexico/Milan.

If Sarajevo WAS the greatest it would be because there were so many Italians there......

:wink:

:scratch: You just contradicted yourself. First you say you cant tell based on a video/dvd. (Which I would agree with) Then you say Chicago and Boston and you can tell on the DVD?? Its one way or the other. I agree with your first assessment. The Chicago Vertigo show the crowd was fine, I was there. Its just not captured on the DVD that way. I also dont think the crowd for Milan was captured very well. I wasnt there, but on the DVD they do seem less into it. I think its more of a product of the way it was shot and edited, not what the actual crowd was really like.

Blue Room said:

you say you cant tell based on a video/dvd. (Which I would agree with) Then you say Chicago and Boston and you can tell on the DVD?? Its one way or the other.

No it's not. Theres a difference between tring to differentiate between one crowd being SLIGHTLY rowdier and into it than another, and then there is the grand canyon like differences between US and European/Latin American crowds....

By the way, for the last 20+ years I've gone to mostly US shows, but went to many many European shows prior to moving here. There is a massive difference in crowd reactions at concerts.

Hamilton should stop directing U2-shows.....I really like the noises coming from the crowd.

Because if the guy in the 56th row doesn't sing along with the song, the entire show is doomed and Bono is a sad panda.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Because if the guy in the 56th row doesn't sing along with the song, the entire show is doomed and Bono is a sad panda.

panda_dance.gif

That makes me a saaaddd Panda... :(

elevated_u2_fan said:

Good point :wink:

:lol:

Found an image of "My Balls Are Bigger Than Yours," but it didn't work when I posted it.

Figured '.' would keep this thread going in the right direction. :wink:

toscano said:

No it's not. Theres a difference between tring to differentiate between one crowd being SLIGHTLY rowdier and into it than another, and then there is the grand canyon like differences between US and European/Latin American crowds....

By the way, for the last 20+ years I've gone to mostly US shows, but went to many many European shows prior to moving here. There is a massive difference in crowd reactions at concerts.

Yes, it is. The title of the thread says the Mexico City crowd was better than Milan. Doesnt say "slightly" or a "little" better. You are the one that said that and have now added that criteria.

Looks like you are trying to say that because you have seen shows in N. America that all crowds here are lame?? Sorry, but that is a ridiculous generalization and I still say it flies right in the face of your original comment indicating there is no way to tell based on DVD's what the crowd was really like.

The whole thing is a ridiculous argument anyway. Something that is completely subjective. The Milan crowd do not seem any better of a crowd to me over the Chicago DVD based on the way they were shot. I'm not saying they werent, I'm saying there is no way to tell based on the DVD's.

Blue Room said:

The whole thing is a ridiculous argument anyway. Something that is completely subjective. The Milan crowd do not seem any better of a crowd to me over the Chicago DVD based on the way they were shot. I'm not saying they werent, I'm saying there is no way to tell based on the DVD's.

Agreed. On any given song, I see people staring blankly at the stage or to their friends on both dvds. It all comes down to how things are edited---you capture the crowd well or you don't. It's like listening to an in-ear monitor bootleg vs. a regular audience bootleg. The in-ear may sound crisp and clear, but the audience taping will have the energy of the crowd....and even that can vary based on whether the taper is next to a group of pogoing nuts or some drunk chick talking to her boyfriend.

Back
Top Bottom