The Album is done...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
A "reliable" source said that they finished the album but none of the band members can agree on any of the songs and have conflicting opinions on if they are good enough. They feel that this will be the last major studio album and tour so they want it to be just right. They "don't want to do POP all over again."

Yeah, how reliable is reliable?

Was it your moms best friends old childhood pal who 3 generations ago came over from Ireland and whos aunt knows edge's neighbor who gets the mail for edge once a year when hes on vacation?

If it's the last studio album (which I doubt they will do, I think they'llound it out with one more for a final U2 trilogy of albums) then perhaps there's debate on how many tracks -- 12 or more. And since they're working with Chris Thomas, maybe there's talk about a White Album sized album. And of course, maybe, just maybe, I have too much free time at work to actually think about these things. Maybe...

Of all the rumored reasons that the album would be delayed until September, this one makes the most sense to me. Every indication seems to point to the fact that recording is finished and a May release would then make sense. But if they are having difficulty choosing which tracks to put on the album, I could see that causing them to postpone the release. I'm not saying I buy this rumor, but it makes more sense than any other for a September release...

perhaps now theyll go back and tweak every song this and that, causing a september release, and instead of high brow rock and roll we get bono yodelling

I do believe it could be there last tour but not last studio album...I think they have 3 or 4 albums left on the deal

also...........why would they be building a brand new studio if they were done.........? with major albums that is.

"Can't agree on the songs"
READ
"Can't agree whether or not to fire the producer"
and
"Can't agree on whether or not to bloody Bono's lip for not finishing the lyrics".
and
"Can't agree to trust Interscope with the marketing."
and
"Can't agree on tour concept, format, length, and to open in MIAMI!"
and
"Can't agree that piracy won't be going away anytime soon"
and
"Can't agree that Adam be required to show his face just ONCE!"
and
"Can't agree that the earnest, serious U2 approach won't sell this time"

Well actually it makes sense, a couple of months ago there was another rumor, that they couldn't decide on what kind of tour they were going to make, Bono and Edge wanted to do stadiums, while Adam and Larry wanted arenas, so maybe all this delays are because of internal problems in the band, you never know...

Not to be disrespectful to Gherman, but even I could have come up with this. Saying you have a source close to the band doesn't mean you do and how can I trust the word of some random person online that I don't even know? Now if someone I've known for ages and whose word I trust were to say something, that'd be different ...

Axver said:
Not to be disrespectful to Gherman, but even I could have come up with this. Saying you have a source close to the band doesn't mean you do and how can I trust the word of some random person online that I don't even know? Now if someone I've known for ages and whose word I trust were to say something, that'd be different ...

What can I say... I just tell like it is I'm not here to make up bull shit rumors. If you feel you could make up a rumor like this... you probably could. My 8 year old cousin could too but Im not here to question your intelectual abilities:shrug: Don't worry I don't care what anyone thinks I'm just reporting.

I'm sorry, but can anybody really see U2 saying:

"This is our last major album and tour. After this, we will release smaller and smaller pieces of work and finally fade out of existence..."

I always thought the band was all or none...

gherman:

I don't think people actually believe that you are lying. I'm happy you post these rumors, cause i find it very amusing to read. If they are true or not, i don't know. But you must also understand that there have been so many rumours foating around... being denied, confirmed and what not... even when it's been from a "relieable source". So when you have no references, we automatically take every statement with a grain of salt. But if you don't want to say what your source is, that is fine. But i would be happy if you keep us posted.... Thx

I find it funny when someone close to the band or reliable source says this will be the last major record together. so your reliable source drops this bomb in your lap and this is all the info you can post....they can't agree on the songs....whoa this is huge news..thanks for keeping us all in on all the latest breaking news from U2Land...I am anxiously awaiting the next news flash.

hold up...
LAST ALBUM? sorry, just the suggestion freaked me out, they can't go away yet!! too many stupid, moronic, talentless bands around for them to stop making music!:sad:

What crap!!!

Its only a couple of the songs for god sakes!!!

Looks like Edges cousin has been right WAY back at the beginning of this year!! Mind you she always has been before!

where have you gone, edge's cousin?
interference turns it's lonely eyes to you...

Why is this so far fetched? To be honest I've been expecting it since the end of the Elevation tour. I mean think about this...

1. The new studio, it's a penthouse, more of an office space than a studio, which if you recall they originally putting up quite a fight to keep the old one, then as if over-night put the gloves down. And it couldn?t have been the fact that they were getting a new one either, they were always getting a new one, they just wanted the old one. I think it?s because the Dublin Docks Development agreed to work around it, and if I?m correct it?s gonna be another 4 years before they take that baby down, giving the band plenty of time to put a nail in the coffin

2. The contract they last signed, well if I did the math correctly, with this album it's up, they might be obligated to a 3rd Best Of, but that's no big deal they can just make a Best of All Times and this would NOT be considered a major album

3. There's also the matter of all the band members seeming to invest in real state (Edge's new house, Bono's extension, restaurant and new apt, gosh knows what Larry's been up to) isn?t this wise retirement planning?

4. Let's not forget the ticket prices of the last tour, it was pretty obvious they were taking care of debts and trying to save up some cash, small venues high prices, playing it very safe in the financial end

5. The band?s philosophy, relevancy. On how many different occasions have we heard Bono going on and on about this? Relevancy takes a shit load of work, cause you can put the music out there but if people don?t listen, if you as an artist are not accessible, if you don?t tour, don?t do the press circuit, blah blah blah it just doesn?t have the impact?you become the Stones and they don?t want to be the Stones. Plus I remember an interview in which Bono said something to the effect that they could never put out an album and not tour behind it because the songs come alive when they?re played live. Well I?m sorry but they?re not young boys anymore, have we forgotten what a struggle that last tour was? Bono?s voice and Larry?s back for starters.

I personally think it makes perfect sense that this be their last major effort, go out on a bang, and never look back. I could see them putting out a b-sides compilations which they neglected in the last Best Of and maybe a Best of All Times afterwards just let us down softly. But I would be surprised if they tried for one more major album. In any case, it's just my opinion, like you, I wish they were energizer bunnies.

Back
Top Bottom