***Survivor: Don't You Worry About Your Mind (Albums Rd 12)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote FOR the album you LOVE the MOST

• I :heart: The Joshua Tree

Votes: 49 31.6%
  • I :heart: Achtung Baby

Votes: 106 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Joshua Tree gets my vote simply because of the big three. Any album with Streets, Still Haven't found What I'm Looking for, and With or Without You, can't NOT be the best album ever. Plus add to that Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, and One Tree Hill...well, that's just the icing on the cake.

Lancemc said:
The Joshua Tree gets my vote simply because of the big three. Any album with Streets, Still Haven't found What I'm Looking for, and With or Without You, can't NOT be the best album ever. Plus add to that Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, and One Tree Hill...well, that's just the icing on the cake.

What he said, basically. I mean, there is nothing that sounds like those three songs do in the history of music. They've got a very unique sound to them, so much so that when you hear them, you know it's U2.

That's what separates The Joshua Tree from Achtung Baby for me. They're both amazing albums, but The Joshua Tree is a very unique, amazing album thats sound has yet to be duplicated, while Achtung Baby, in my eyes at least, is merely a fantastic pop-rock album. :yes:

U2girl said:
See how many more votes for AB, it's NOT that much better. Bias.

Majority of fans here got on board with U2 in the 90's so it's understandable they prefer this era - but U2's fanbase is bigger than that, and if fans from the 80's prevailed here they would vote overwhelmingly in favor of JT.

I'm sorry, but:

Duh.

That's like saying, "If, in a poll between peanut butter and jelly, more of the voters liked jelly, jelly would most definitely win."

Of course it would! More people responding to this poll like Achtung, Baby. There are hundreds of people on this forum, so this isn't an accurate sample. Maybe a lot of the people who like The Joshua Tree simply aren't participating.

I don't understand why 'bias' is a bad word outside of a newsroom or a court of law. Why is liking one thing over another thing bad? Why is 'bias' a bad thing? People who like The Joshua Tree have a bias towards that album over other ones. People who like War have a bias towards it. More of the people who responded to this poll have a bias towards Achtung Baby. That's why they chose it: they're biased towards it. 'Bias' is not a bad word in this context. That's how polls operate. If everyone was voting without bias, no one could respond, because it's an OPINION poll. You can't NOT have bias in a poll that is simply about opinion.

Let's say I was on trial for murder, and I had been seen, on camera, shooting another person. If I were then set free by the jury, then that would be an example of a BAD bias, because the jury obviously liked me, even when the facts proved my guilt. Bad bias only comes into play where FACTS are concerned. You cannot say that the Joshua Tree is better than Achtung Baby or vice versa and consider it a fact. All art is perception.

So JT lovers - fret not. I'm pretty sure most of us here really like The Joshua Tree. It's one of U2's most iconic albums. But the people answering this poll (a small proportion of the membership here) prefer Achtung Baby. Who cares? Does that make The Joshua Tree any less fantastic in your eyes? If it does, then, um.....

-Miggy D

I'm suprised. I didn't expect there to be such a dominant leader in this thing. I voted for Achtung Baby but I didn't realise there were so many that prefered Achtung to Joshua Tree.

PS I have been a fan since the early 80's

beli, when does this poll end? I'll start the singles survivor the morning (our time) after this finishes.

Axver said:
beli, when does this poll end? I'll start the singles survivor the morning (our time) after this finishes.

I set this one for 3 days so it doesn't finish until tomorrow afternoon (our time) :scream:

I seriously was not expecting such a landslide :slant:

U2girl said:
If this forum wasn't so 90's biased and we could include the 80's fans, Achtung wouldn't stand a chance.

Buhuuuuu,,,,, cry baby

beli said:

I set this one for 3 days so it doesn't finish until tomorrow afternoon (our time) :scream:

I seriously was not expecting such a landslide :slant:

I expected this to be a LOT closer too - I was stunned when AB took off to such a massive lead.

Maybe we could create alters to vote for JT just to make this more of a competition? :wink:

I am personally not that touchy about Achtung baby. Sure its my favorite, but i am not gonna try to argue to prove my point in why the album is great.
Achtung baby going up against Joshua tree equals a tough choice to make. They are both amazing, so i guess its up to the small details when we have to pick our own personal winner.

My reasons to love Achtung baby have already been described by others, so no reason to go there again..

So there's a bias towards Achtung Baby because the majority of internet savvy U2 fans are younger and came aboard later?

Even if that's true, there are tons of U2 "fans" who are only casually into them BECAUSE of JT. The adult contemporary crowd. Are you including them? Ultimately, there are going to be later generations of fans that weren't around when EITHER album came out. I know there are younger people on Interference who just got into them through ATYCLB. Would they be the most objective?

The 80's fans you're talking about might like Bon Jovi too for all we know. I surely don't think their opinions carry a lot of weight.

The older U2 gets, and the more people that get into U2 over time, Achtung Baby will just increase its lead in polls like this. That's just the way it is. The ecletic range of sounds and styles, coupled with the density of the recordings, are just going to impress more people.

Sorry.

laz

lazarus said:
I know there are younger people on Interference who just got into them through ATYCLB. Would they be the most objective?

I'm one of them and I think JT pisses all over AB.

Lazarus: yes to the first paragraph. That is why AB is getting this lead in polls.

I wasn't talking about casual fans, but those who followed them since the start and through the 80's so yes I would say their opinions carry a lot of weight. It is a well known fact they didn't like AB, and especially U2's later 90's output. To have a fair poll, you'd have to include their opinions too.

Hardly. There is a reason why JT is always mentioned in best albums' polls - done by critics who don't have a bias - and why it is still U2's most popular album.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
I wasn't talking about casual fans, but those who followed them since the start and through the 80's so yes I would say their opinions carry a lot of weight. It is a well known fact they didn't like AB, and especially U2's later 90's output. To have a fair poll, you'd have to include their opinions too.

I am a fan since the 80s and I prefer Achtung Baby to The Joshua Tree.

I am a fan since the 80s and I adore U2's later 90's output. Pop is my favourite album.

I am a fan since the 80s and I have voted in every round of this Survivor.

Please don't generalise.

It is a part of U2's history and common knowledge.

The band itself even wasn't sure how the fans would handle the switch.

Ask doctorwho and other fans who were around and they will tell you all about the "sell out" sreaming back then.

Ask the older fans what they think of the 90's.

(a fact is not necessarily something you can prove by science, and fandom of a band is definitely not)

Last edited:
beli said:

lol. I'm quite suprised actually. I really thought this would have been a close, exciting round. :huh:

Yeah, definitely. I'm really surprised it was so far apart. I hoped AB would win, but it's never a given.

beli said:

lol. I'm asking you. You made the statement of fact.

And I answered.
Also, remember the well known rift between Bono and Edge on one hand and Adam and Larry on the other when they were making AB.

Last edited:
Yes, because I remembered other info. So what? Everyone can edit.

Fine. If you don't acknowledge the supporting points I posted, ok.

U2girl said:

And I answered.
Also, remember the well known rift between Bono and Edge on one hand and Adam and Larry on the other when they were making AB.

You edited your post again.

What has an interpersonal band member rift got to do with this topic?

Back
Top Bottom